In Tier 1 and 2, the problem becomes very apparent. It will require high Specialization stat and Wealth runes to make sure you charge your Shadowburst Meter to full in 1 Human Form skill rotation. This just isn't possible in Tier 1; there just isn't enough Specialization stat coming in from your accessories. You won't ever get enough Shadowburst Meter from 1 rotation unless you use your Awakening Gate of Eruption. This means you can't cast Demonize for 1.75 rotations. This leads to a suboptimal damage rotation. Tier 3 fixes your issues as your overall stat cap becomes much higher.
Raid Skill Build
- Gate of Eruption is your preferred Awakening Skill taken for the high Shadowburst Meter gain. The downside is that it does damage over multiple hits. If the target moves out of the zone of Gate of Eruption, you won't generate as much Shadowburst Meter.
- You can take the Naively Honest Skill Tree for Demonic Clone instead of Vital Point Strike as damage is not the primary purpose in your Normal form; it's making sure your skills hit so you can gain Shadowburst Meter.
- Fallen Ruin can be taken in place of Gate of Eruption for a higher damage Awakening and as a safety hard crowd control superarmor button, since Demon Form lacks of knockdown and hard crowd control immunity. The problem Fallen Ruin is that the hitbox for this skill is questionable and you might miss.
- Use Demonic Slash to get close to the target.
- Counter bosses using Rising Claw or Death Claw.
- The goal of Demonic Impulse Shadowhunters is to reach full Shadowburst Meter as quickly as possible to Demonize. There is where their big DPS nukes come from. Almost all of your Normal mode skills are solely used to generate Shadowburst Meter.
- In Tier 1 you won't have enough Specialization or Wealth runes to Demonize in one full rotation of your skills. Therefore, it is important that you use your lowest cooldown skills first before the highest. This way, your low cooldown skills come back up quicker, allowing you to cast them a second time to Demonize faster.
- Once in Demon form, just spam every skill on cooldown. Nothing special about the rotation at this point.
- In Demon form you gain a percentage of your health back since max HP increases every transformation.
Demonic Impulse Shadowhunters aim for Crit and high Specialization. With Demonic Impulse, Demon form receives free Crit Rate so you do not need to focus on high Crit. Demon Form also gives a flat +20% Movement Speed and +20% Max Health Pool . A high Specialization stat is needed as it increase Shadowburst Meter gain from Human Form skills, the damage of all your Demon Form skills, and increases the uptime of Demon Form.
- Specialization/Crit Build: With the help of Crit from the necklace and from the bracelet slot in the future, you'll be able to min max a bit more Crit Damage with this build. Using Poem of Salvation can alleviate the lack of speed. You'll prioritize Cursed Doll or Hit Master instead of Raid Captain since you'll have trouble hitting cap movement speed for the damage increase.
- Specialization/Swiftness Build: This build will prioritize Raid Captain in the build because of the increased speed from your Swiftness necklace. With future stat increases, you'll be able to get the most out of this engraving. Use Shrieking Hallucination to help get the Crit Rate needed for Keen Blunt Weapon.
In Tier 1 and 2, it is difficult to properly run Demonic Impulse Shadowhunter due to low stats and no high grade Wealth runes.
Class Engravings provide powerful stat boosts that dictate the playstyle of a class. Battle Engravings are generally used to increase damage. Below are the recommended Engravings for this build.
Check out the Engraving Guide for more details.
- Demonic Impulse removes the Composure debuff, which prevents Shadowburst Meter gain for 30 seconds after exiting Demonize.
- Adrenaline provides an additional source of Crit and Attack Power. In higher Tiers it is easier to maintain this buff.
Add-On Endgame Engravings
- Hit Master is a great choice as almost all Demon Form skills do have not have a Head Attack or Back Attack modifier. It is a safer alternative than Cursed Doll, but Cursed Doll is still the optimal engraving for maximizing damage as it does not reduce Awakening skill's damage.
- Keen Blunt Weapon* requires a high Crit stat to make use of its bonus. Thankfully, you receive a Crit Rate stat boost once in Demon Form.
- Spirit Absorption is usually combined with Raid Captain as Spirit Absorption doesn't provide a flat damage boost by itself.
- Raid Captain is a decent engraving if the player is running Spirit Absorption. At 140% movement speed, Raid Captain provides 18% increased damage.
Note: The Advanced Engravings are the Best in Slot setup for Tier 3 content. The penalties attached to these can be hard to overcome for new players. Only use the following engravings if you are experienced with the boss fights!
- Cursed Doll* is a significant Attack Power increase at the cost of 25% healing penalty. The healing penalty can be punishing for inexperienced players not familiar with boss mechanics.
- Grudge* increases damage done while also increasing damage received. The engraving is a highly effective damage increase without needing specific positioning, making it worthwhile even with the penalty. Demon form also regenerates some of your HP every time you Demonize.
(*)These Engravings should only be used at Engravings Level 3.
Engravings are listed in order of priority from left to right.
Standard - Swiftness Necklace
Standard - Crit Necklace
Alternative - Budget Option
These are the specific gear sets for each tier.
Check out the Gear Set Guide for more details.
- If speedrunning your alts, you can skip Abyss Dungeon Gear up to 1370 gearscore by just honing Chaos Dungeon Gear.
- If you're close to 1445 gearscore and were already doing Valtan/Vykas Normal Mode, you can skip crafting the Legendary Legion Raid Gears.
- If you have already crafted Relic Gears, hold onto them because once you unlock the Gear Set Conversion feature, you will be able to freely swap between Relic Legion Raid Sets.
"Play at your own pace" Route
Runes enhance skills by providing bonuses such as Attack Speed or Cooldown Reduction. Runes have limited availability and you cannot acquire them from the same source twice. For some runes there are 2 sources and as such, you can acquire two of the same rune. Therefore, it's important to place your Runes on skills wisely. Below are the recommend rune placements for Demonic Impulse Shadowhunter.
Check the Rune Guide for more details.
Gear Skill Tree
While Gems add benefits to skills, you can also increase the effects of Skill Tree themselves. Skill Tree levels go up to 5 and each level can increase the damage, cooldown reduction or buff that they provide.
- Encroaching Power is the only important Skill Tree to level up to quickly Demonize up and unleash your inner demon.
- Other tripods are just side benefits that doesn't factor much to the build as most damage done in this build will be during Demonize mode.
Gems grant bonus damage and cooldown reduction to specific skills. You can only equip 11 of these Gems at a time so it is recommended that you prioritize the Gems for your most important skills.
Please visit our Gem System Guide for more information like how to create higher tier Gems.
Cards are an endgame system for maximizing your character. Below are the recommend sets for this class.
Check out the Card Guide for more details on how to obtain them.
Budget Card Set
Optimal Damage Card Set
- Demonic Impulse Shadowhunter gameplay focuses on their Demon Mode skills. Normal Form skills are mainly used to fill your Shadowburst Meter so you can Demonize faster.
- In addition to the free +20% Movement Speed you get in Demon Mode, Demonic Impulse also gives you free Crit Rate.
- Demonic Impulse Shadowhunters require a heavy focus on Specialization stacking. Without high Specialization, which is the case in Tier 1, it takes more Normal Form skill casts to fill your Shadowburst Meter. Wealth runes will be your friend.
- Make sure to use your shortest cooldown Normal Mode skills first to maximize Shadowburst Meter gain.
Written by Rei
Edited by Yaen
Reviewed by Raxxanterax
Updated Pros and Cons section. Updated Stats Priority and Engravings clarity.
Adjusted Gearsets section to include Vykas parts.