Deathblades, no matter the Class Engraving, are heavily reliant on Back Attacks and landing your skills. You want to make full use of your buff from applying Open Weakness and the Back Attack +10% Crit Rate. When Deathblades miss their big Death Orb Meter gain skills, it is extremely punishing. Your skills take longer to recharge, your damage rotation is slowed, and as a result your overall damage uptime is lowered.
Raid Skill Build
- Flash Blink is used over Blade Assault due to its utility. You generate a decent amount of Death Orb Meter with a much faster skill animation time. Flash Blink also allows you to phase through bosses, providing you an efficient repositioning tool.
- Depending on how easy it is to reposition around a boss, consider replacing Dark Axel with Turning Slash for more damage. You don't really need Dark Axel if the boss model is small and easy to maneuver around.
Gameplay & Skill Rotation
- Deathblade playstyle revolves around Back Attacking for the 10% Crit Rate buff, while also constantly applying the Open Weakness debuff from Spincutter.
- Spending 2 Death Orbs to go into Death Trance reduces the cooldowns of all your skills by 30%, while spending 3 reduces them by 50%. Depending on how high your Specialization is, you probably just want to expend 2 Death Orbs to keep your damage rotation going.
- As long as your 3rd Death Orb is partially filled, using Blade Surge will grant you the 3rd tier buff that the Remaining Energy Engraving provides. Using Death Trance just as your 3rd Death Orb lights up, then immediately using Blade Surge to end Death Trance is an option if you don't have enough Specialization to hit 3 Death Orbs in one rotation. This logic can also be applied to 2 Death Orbs. You will still receive the 2nd tier buff as long as your 2nd Death Orb is partially filled.
- Main Damage Rotation
- Soul Absorber
- Blitz Rush
- Earth Cleaver
- Optional: Use Turning Slash if you took Turning Slash over Dark Axel. Otherwise, skip to step 7.
- Void Strike
- Moonlight Sonic
- Death Trance at 2 or 3 Death Orbs and Blade Surge immediately afterward
- Short Burst Rotation
- Soul Absorber
- Void Strike
- Moonlight Sonic
Remaining Energy Deathblades run high Specialization and Crit. High Specialization allows your skills to generate more Death Orb Meter, which allows you to generate at least 2 Death Orbs for higher skill cooldown reduction when entering Death Trance. Ideally, you want enough Specialization to hit 3 Death Orbs in one damage rotation for the 50% Cooldown Reduction. You should focus all your accessories on Specialization with Crit coming from your necklace only.
With at least 300 Specialization, a full skill rotation generates enough meter for 2 Death Orbs. This is assuming no Wealth runes, and you replaced Dark Axel with Turning Slash.
With at least 900 Specialization, a full skill rotation generates enough meter for 3 Death Orbs (assuming the same conditions above).
Keep getting more and more Specialization for shorter rotations and faster Death Orb generation as possible. Once you reach 1,600+ Specialization, you can swap a ring for Crit.
Class Engravings provide powerful benefits that can significantly change playstyle. Battle Engravings are generally used to increase damage. Below are the recommended Engravings for this build.
Check out the Engraving Guide for more details.
- Remaining Energy allows the Deathblade to maintain high damage uptime and receive free stats when ending Death Trance. This engraving is extremely efficient at level 1, and it is recommended that you keep it at that level for Tier 1 content. At Tier 3, it's recommended that you max it out to Level 3.
- Super Charge is an excellent engraving that compliments Deathblade well. 3 of Deathblade's main damage skills, Blitz Rush, Void Strike, and Soul Absorber and all charging skills. You will enjoy the increased Attack Speed of your skills in addition to the unconditional damage increase.
Add-On Endgame Engravings
- Master of Ambush is a great Engraving that synergizes with Deathblade fairly well. There is already a playstyle emphasis on Back Attacking with applying Open Weakness from using Spincutter. It can easily replace Grudge as you will always want to be Back Attacking.
- Adrenaline provides an easy source of Crit Rate in later Tiers when you have Cooldown Reduction jewels. This synergizes well with Deathblade as low cooldown skills will help upkeep the Adrenaline buff and Death Orb Meter Identity gain.
- Keen Blunt Weapon* is an okay choice for Deathblade. It's not the most optimal, but it can work if it seems that getting other engravings is too expensive.
Note: The Advanced Engravings are the Best in Slot setup for Tier 3 content. The penalties attached to these can be hard to overcome for new players. Only use the following engravings if you are experienced with the boss fights!
- Grudge* increases damage done while also increasing damage received. The engraving is a highly effective damage increase without needing specific positioning, making it worthwhile even with the penalty.
- Cursed Doll* is an alternative engraving you can equip instead of Grudge. This Engraving also provides a flat damage increase with no positional condition. You will want to be dodging boss skills anyway, so the penalty is not as bad as it seems.
(*)These Engravings should only be used at Engraving Level 3.
Engravings are listed in order of priority from left to right.
These are the specific gear sets for each tier.
Check out the Gear Set Guide for more details.
- If speedrunning your alts, you can skip Abyss Dungeon Gear up to 1370 gearscore by just honing Chaos Dungeon Gear.
- If you're close to 1445 gearscore and were already doing Valtan/Vykas Normal Mode, you can skip crafting the Legendary Legion Raid Gears.
- If you have already crafted Relic Gears, hold onto them because once you unlock the Gear Set Conversion feature, you will be able to freely swap between Relic Legion Raid Sets.
"Play at your own pace" Route
Runes enhance Skills with extra bonuses. All Rune drops are account bound and have limited availability, so placement of Runes on the correct Skills is important. Below are the recommended pairings.
Check the Rune Guide for more details.
Gear Skill Tree
While Gems add benefits to skills, you can also increase the effects of Skill Tree themselves. Skill Tree levels go up to 5 and each level can increase the damage, cooldown reduction or buff that they provide.
Gems grant bonus damage and cooldown reduction to specific skills. You can only equip 11 of these Gems at a time so it is recommended that you prioritize the Gems for your most important skills.
Please visit our Gem System Guide for more information like how to create higher tier Gems.
(*) Optional gems choices.
Cards are an endgame system for maximizing your character. Below are the recommended sets for this class.
Check out the Card Guide for more details on how to obtain them.
Budget Card Set
Optional Card Set
Optimal Damage Card Set
- Deathblades focus on Back Attacking because of the Spincutter's Open Weakness Skill Tree debuff and the free +10% Crit Rate.
- You want high Specialization to gain 2 to 3 Death Orbs in one skill rotation.
- Remaining Energy provide Deathblades with great buffs after using Blade Surge to end Death Trance.
- Your 3 main DPS skills Soul Absorber, Blitz Rush, and Void Strike all synergize with the Super Charge engraving, so make it a priority to get it to level 3.
Written by Rei
Edited by Yaen
Reviewed by Raxxanterax
Updated Pros and Cons section.
Adjusted Gearsets section to include Vykas parts.