Why farm Eldritch and Shenk?
The biggest strength of this farming area is the proximity to the Waypoint. Both Super Uniques spawn in a static location in their area which adds value for online play. Additionally, since you can Save and Exit right after killing both packs, you load into Act 5 Harrogath when joining the next game. This puts you in proximity to the Waypoint, and minimizes loading screens.
The density of Minions also make them great Experience farming spots starting in the early 70's and into the late 80's.
Since they are both Super Uniques, they always drop 2 items of Magic quality or higher. (Unless they drop a Rune or Gem). This means you do not need to farm them on higher Player Settings to get the largest benefit of your Magic Find. When spawned on higher Player Settings, their minions have higher chances of dropping valuable items, like High Runes and good Bases for Runewords.
Both monsters are naturally Immune to Cold, and may become immune to 1 other damage type depending on their random affixes. They can typically be killed by any other damage type, and builds with 2 damage types can always kill them. They can't be Immune to Magic.
Due to their high Monster Level and the third-highest Treasure Class (TC) they can drop nearly every useful item in the game, and up to zodrune.
Here are some examples of what you can find in Hell. Check out our drop calculator for all possible drops.
|Character Specific||Jalal's Mane|
How do I find Eldritch and Shenk?
Eldritch in Frigid Highlands
Shenk in Bloody Foothills
Tips & Tricks
Shenk's Death Sequence
When Shenk is killed, there is a triggered sequence of a "catapult barrage" which centers on his body. This sequence kills every monster in the area, causing them to drop loot. Although your Magic Find does not affect these drops, there can be good Bases and Rune drops from the surrounding mobs. Make sure to check the screen before continuing on.
High Damage Output Monsters
Shenk the Overseer is often surrounded by highly lethal groups of ranged, and fast-moving monsters that can deal a lot of damage to under-geared Characters. If his Area spawns with Burning Archers, Hellcats, Raptors, or Quill Rats, you may want to Save and Exit if you can't handle them safely. Some Characters have very useful Skills to mitigate these threats:
- Amazon - decoy, valkyrie
- Assassin - cloakofshadows, mindblast, shadowmaster, shadowwarrior
- Barbarian - howl, taunt, warcry
- Druid - summongrizzly
- Necromancer - dimvision, confuse, attract, bonewall, boneprison
- Sorceress - iceblast, glacialspike
Every Character has multiple Builds which can farm Eldritch and Shenk. We list the best build to make quick work of both Bosses. Note: Every Build, other than Cold Damage dealers, is able to farm these packs with relative ease.
- Amazon - Lightning Fury
- With her lightningfury damage scaling with density, both of these boss packs are quickly deleted. For Hardcore and lower-power Characters, slowmissiles also eliminates the primary threats that typically spawn near them.
- Assassin - Lightning Sentry
- This Assassin can actually set up her lightningsentry traps and begin killing both boss packs off-screen. With a combination of deathsentry to quickly finish off the pack, and cloakofshadows making her basically invisible to any other dangerous mobs, this build really excels.
- Barbarian - Berserk
- This build focuses on killing the boss of each pack, and using finditem on Eldritch. (Shenk does not leave behind a body to target.) Using howl to clear out the trash minions, berserk also starts one-shotting at certain gear levels. This build would only farm on Players 1 Setting, since you do not kill the minions at all.
- Druid - Tornado Hurricane
- The tornado damage output, even on lower power-builds can quickly clean up both boss packs on Players 1 Setting. cyclonearmor and summongrizzly make this build very safe to take into this area, even on hardcore playthroughs.
- Necromancer - Bone Spear
- The Bone Spear Necro has three amazing tools that make farming these bosses as easy as can be. bonespear deals Magic Damage, which neither pack can ever be Immune to. boneprison completely controls every monster on screen, and also drags more monsters towards you due to it aggro-ing more off-screen mobs. And lastly, corpseexplosion will delete everything within its range once the first few monsters die.
- Paladin - Blessed Hammer
- This build uses Magic Damage and has incredible survivability through Max Block Chance with holyshield. Even on higher Player Settings, blessedhammer absolutely shreds.
- Sorceress - Lightning
- With the fastest Faster Cast Rate Breakpoint, and massive targetable damage in lightning, the Lightning Sorc absolutely deletes these boss packs on Player 1 Settings. Her use of energyshield helps to keep her safe if anything gets into melee range.
- Cold Sorceresses should not farm here, since both Bosses are Immune to Cold. Check out the Mephisto Farming Guide which is a better location to farm on those builds.
- Eldritch and Shenk are easily accessible from the same Waypoint. Farming both together is the most efficient way of target farming these areas.
- Both bosses both have access to the third-highest Treasure Class, and are high enough Level to give good Experience into the late 80's.
- They are Immune to Cold naturally, and are very rarely Immune to any other damage types.
- Every Character build is able to farm these targets efficiently, unless they only have access to Cold Damage. If you are having trouble finding gear (like enigma), you should farm here to generate wealth!
Written by MacroBioBoi
Reviewed by Teo1904