Welcome to The Beast in the Ice Boss Guide. Here you will find all the information to gather summoning materials, summon the Boss, and successfully defeat it.
Summoning Requirements & Location
In order to summon The Beast, collect Distilled Fear by completing Nightmare Dungeons (Tier 30+). Once you have gathered enough, go to The Occultist and craft a Glacial Fissure Nightmare Sigil. Activate it and teleport to the dungeon to fight The Beast. You'll need to clear the dungeon to reach the boss.
Pro tip: Use an Elixir such as Potent Elixir of Cold Resistance to greatly reduce the damage you take!
Health Bar & Stagger
Each Boss's health bar has multiple breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase is more challenging than the last.
Stagger Bar Mechanic
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar, this slowly fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the Boss is rendered helpless for a short window of time. Use this opportunity to unleash as much hell as you possibly can.
Boss Mechanics and Strategy
Pay attention to each of the attacks used by The Beast in the Ice, the following section guides you through the boss's most dangerous abilities.
Initially The Beast in the Ice attacks you using his sword, breath, and ice spikes. His attacks don't deal much damage individually but often release multiple icy projectiles which can be difficult to avoid.
- Frozen Strike - Whenever The Beast slashes with his sword ice crystals are released. These shatter after traveling a short distance releasing multiple smaller ice spikes.
- Move behind the boss to avoid his melee attacks, and watch for incoming ice spikes.
- Icy Breath - Occasionally, he inhales deeply then exhales multiple ice crystals. These shatter after traveling a short distance releasing multiple smaller ice spikes.
- Move out of the frontal cone and watch for incoming ice spikes.
- Frostquake - The Beast roars and repeatedly slams his sword into the ground generating multiple frost pools which land after a short delay dealing damage.
- Don't stand in front of the boss, and avoid the large circles on the ground.
- Leap Attack - After taking some damage, The Beast leaps into the air then slams down dealing damage in a large area. In addition to dealing damage, the impact releases several ice crystals. These shatter after traveling a short distance creating a dangerous ring of ice spikes.
- When you see him jump, use a defensive to tank the damage or use a movement skill before he lands to move out of the area.
- If you dodge the main slam, be prepared to dodge ice spikes after.
At 66% and 33% Health The Beast in the Ice enters an intermission phase where he summons a blizzard to constrict the space you have to fight. During this intermission, he is invulnerable and cannot be targeted.
- Intermission Adds - During the intermission there are several smaller enemies, in particular watch out for enemies that explode.
- Kill them, but position yourself carefully so you aren't hit by Strafing Run.
- Strafing Run - The Beast summons waves of ice which sweep across the arena. If these hit you, you'll be knocked into the storm and take significant damage.
- Try to stay near the center of the room, when the lines appear telegraphing the attack look for the safe zone and stand in it.
- If you don't think you'll make it, try to pop a source of Unstoppable so you're not Frozen and knocked into the storm.
After the first intermission The Beast returns, crashing back into the arena.
- Icy Hail - The Beast plants his blade into the ground and begin to channel causing a series of 4 icy explosions targeted at your location, the explosions release 5 icy waves in a pentagonal formation.
- To avoid this, try to be moving in an arc around the boss, if you see one of the lines projected under your character adjust and move out of the effect.
- Try to keep a source of Unstoppable ready, a single hit is unlikely to kill you but getting Frozen and tanking the entire mechanic is dangerous.
- At 33% Health the second intermission begins.
During the fight's final phase the storm remains active, leaving you precious little room to dodge, and occasionally The Beast uses Strafing Run.
- Enhanced Icy Hail - this works identically to Icy Hail, however on the final explosion there's a second spread of 5 icy waves.
- Avoid this in the same manner as Icy Hail, however on the last tick dodge a second time.
Loot Tables and Rewards
Each Boss has a different loot table of Uniques and cosmetic item(s).
Unique Loot table
The items listed below have increased chance to drop from this Boss. You can still find items that aren't on the list, and you are not guaranteed to find a Unique every time you kill the boss.
- Fields of Crimson
- 100,000 Steps
- Ancients' Oath
- Battle Trance
- Insatiable Fury
- Hunter's Zenith
- Waxing Gibbous
- Storm's Companion
- Bloodless Scream
- Howl from Below
- Deathspeaker's Pendant
- Ring of Mendeln
- Word of Hakan
- Staff of Lam Esen
- Esu's Heirloom
- Gloves of the Illuminator
- The Oculus
Non-Class Specific Uniques:
- Mother's Embrace
- Fists of Fate
- Tassets of the Dawning Sky
If you want a handy reference for the items you can farm from each of the endgame bosses, check out our Boss Cheat Sheet!
You can unlock the following exclusive cosmetic reward when you defeat The Beast in the Ice.
The Beast in the Ice boss fight video guide.
The Beast in the Ice boss guide covers everything you need to know about where to go, and how to complete this encounter.
- Complete Nightmare Dungeons to collect 9 Distilled Fear and craft a Glacial Abyss Nightmare Sigil at the Occultist.
- Activate the Sigil, then teleport to the Glacial Abyss.
- Make sure your gear is the best it can be; Upgraded Armor and Gems.
- You should be level 85 or higher for the smoothest experience, but you can attempt the boss any time after entering World Tier 4 if you're confident in your build.
- The Beast's attacks deal Cold damage, try grabbing Elixirs which increase your Cold Resistance.
- In Phase 1 dodge the boss's attacks and resulting secondary projectiles.
- In the intermission phases, focus on dodging and kill adds when you have time.
- In Phase 2&3 The Beast gains new abilities, remember to use Unstoppable to prevent yourself from being Frozen.
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Dredscythe