Welcome to the Duriel, King of Maggots Boss Guide. Here you will find all the information to gather summoning materials, summon the Boss, and successfully defeat it.
- World Tier Minimum Required: World Tier 4
- Boss Level: 100
- Activity Required: Collect components by defeating Echos of Varshan and Grigoire, The Galvanic Saint (both in WT 4 only)
- Summoning Material: Mucus-Slick Eggs (from Varshan) and Shards of Agony (from Grigoire). Note: Only the player that summoned Varshan & Grigoire receives these items!
- Element Type: Poison
- Cosmetic Reward: The Smoldering Brimstone Mount
Summoning Requirements & Location
In order to summon Duriel, collect 2 Mucus-Slick Eggs (from Varshan in World tier 4). Then collect 2 Shards of Agony (from Grigoire in World Tier 4). Again, only the player that summoned Varshan & Grigoire receives these items!
Once you have these you can travel to Gea Kul, and head east to the Gaping Crevasse where you can summon Duriel to fight.
Before heading to the fight, drop by the Alchemist to pick up a Potent Elixir of Poison Resistance to help counter his Poison abilities.
Health Bar & Stagger
Each Boss's health bar has multiple breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase is more challenging than the last.
Stagger Bar Mechanic
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar, this slowly fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the Boss is rendered helpless for a short window of time. Use this opportunity to unleash as much hell as you possibly can.
Boss Mechanics and Strategy
Pay attention to each of the attacks used by Duriel, King of Maggots, the following section guides you through the boss's most dangerous abilities.
Initially 2 Pangs of Duriel attack you. After a few moments, Duriel himself appears and the fight begins.
- Poison Strike - When Duriel attacks with his claw, he inflicts Poison on hit.
- This is difficult to avoid, but doesn't hit very hard.
- Evade or use a movement skill to move behind the boss.
- Poison Slam - Duriel slams his claw into the ground creating a Poison pool, and causing several poisonous projectiles to splash out in a circle.
- Move away from the impact point for the initial telegraph, but stay at close to medium range.
- This way you avoid the projectiles, and the pools they spawn.
- Expel Waste - The boss inhales then after a short delay, Duriel expels waste from his lower maw.
- Move away from the boss so you can dodge between the projectiles.
- Rain of Maggots - At 80% and lower Duriel raises his claws causing maggots to rain from the ceiling.
- Use AoE damage skills to clean up the maggots as you continue the fight.
- Rampaging Charge - Below 80% health Duriel charges wildly flailing both of his claws in the process. Players caught at the end of the charge take significant damage.
- This is a dangerous mechanic, so treat it with care.
- When he begins his charge, move away from the boss.
- If you're playing a melee build, wait for the move to finish before going in to attack.
- Claw Spike - As his health gets lower, Duriel begins using a move similar to Poison Slam, except it hits harder and doesn't spawn any pools.
- Watch for the telegraph where he raises his claw, and move away from the boss to avoid the impact.
Pang of Duriel
Throughout the fight, Duriel buries himself into the floor, summoning Pangs of Duriel. These minions are dangerous if ignored so killing them is your top priority.
- Pangs of Duriel - 2 of these minions emerge in the room at the beginning of the encounter, approach and attack them to get Duriel to appear.
- At 60% health 1 Pang of Duriel is summoned.
- Then, at 40% and 20% health 2 Pangs of Duriel are summoned.
- While below 20% health Duriel occasionally re-uses this ability.
- Poison Nova - the Pang of Duriel occasionally spits out a nova of poisonous projectiles.
- Avoid the projectiles by moving close to the minions.
- Dive - After being approached, the Pang of Duriel dives into the ground in an attempt to escape.
- Wait for it to reappear, then continue dealing damage.
Loot Tables and Rewards
Each Boss has a different loot table of Uniques and cosmetic item(s).
Unique Loot table
The items listed below have increased chance to drop from this Boss. You can still find items that aren't on the list, and you are not guaranteed to find a Unique every time you kill the boss.
- Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty
- Tempest Roar
- Dolmen Stone
- Black River
- Blood Moon Breeches
- Cowl of the Nameless
- Scoundrel's Leathers
- Blue Rose
Non-Class Specific Uniques:
- Godslayer Crown
- Tibault's Will
- X'Fal's Corroded Signet
- Banished Lord's Talisman
- Doombringer (Barb, Necro, Rogue)
- The Grandfather (Barb, Necro)
- Melted Heart of Selig (All)
- Andariel's Visage (All)
- Harlequin Crest (All)
- Ring of Starless Skies (All)
- Ahavarion, Spear of Lycander (Druid, Sorc)
If you want a handy reference for the items you can farm from each of the endgame bosses, check out our Boss Cheat Sheet!
You can unlock the following exclusive cosmetic reward when you defeat Duriel, King of Maggots.
Duriel, King of Maggots boss fight video guide.
Duriel, King of Maggots boss guide covers everything you need to know about where to go, and how to complete this encounter.
- Collect 2 Mucus-Slick Eggs from Echo of Varshan and 2 Shards of Agony from Grigoire, The Galvanic Saint (both in WT 4 only). Remember, only the player that summoned Varshan & Grigoire receives these items!
- Then head to the Gaping Crevasse East of Gea Kul.
- Make sure your gear is the best it can be; Upgraded Armor and Gems.
- You should be level 100 for the smoothest experience, but you can attempt the boss any time after entering World Tier 4 if you're confident in your build.
- Duriel's attacks deal Poison damage, try grabbing Elixirs which increase your Poison Resistance.
- Avoid the boss's attacks and resulting projectiles.
- Kill Pangs of Duriel as quickly as possible!
- As his health gets lower, Duriel gains dangerous new attacks.
- You can target farm many rare Uniques from Duriel, including Uber Uniques!
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Dredscythe