Avarice The Gold Cursed World Boss can be found in special areas of the world as you are progressing from region to region. This massive behemoth is equipped with many dangerous abilities looking to flatten any heroes that dare to challenge them. Because any World Boss is very dangerous, teaming up with other players is absolutely necessary. When slain, loot drops alongside a special item called Scattered Prism, used to add sockets to certain slots of gear. In this guide, we cover how to find and take down the Avarice The Gold Cursed World Boss successfully.
Each zone as a specific area that they spawn. Avarice The Gold Cursed spawns in The Seared Basin in Kehjistan. When you arrive, there is a timer, letting you know how much time is left before the World Boss spawns. Use this time to prep for the fight or invite friends to tag along. Joining the event after it starts is only possible for a short window of time. These fights are so massive in scale that the camera actually zooms out once combat starts.
A World Boss's health bar has 4 breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase is more challenging than the last.
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar, this slowly fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the World Boss is rendered helpless for 12 seconds. Use this time to unleash as much hell as you possibly can. Each World Boss also has a unique mechanic in addition to being staggered. The Avarice The Gold Cursed World Boss spawns 2 Treasure Goblins when staggered.
Avarice World Boss Mechanics
We are separating the attack mechanics into two different categories based on threat level; Major and Minor.
These are attacks that can one shot you if you are not careful. Attacks are often telegraphed, giving you ample time to get out of the way.
- Chest Swing - Thrusts the treasure chest forward, then swings it around in a 360 area of effect attack. The chest thrust itself is a minor threat, but the swing deals massive damage. You can avoid the swing by standing in between the chain and the chest, or by standing at a great distance.
- Mallet Slam - Raises mallet, then slams the ground, causing a huge shockwave throughout the area. This by itself is a minor threat, but when there are pillars around (see below), the shockwave causes them to explode, dealing large amounts of damage. Pillars activated by the Mallet Slam explode after a 3 second delay, so there's plenty of time to get out of the way. The destroyed pillars leave a puddle of gold dust on the ground, dealing damage over time if stood in.
- Mallet Thrust - Sends a rocky shockwave through the ground in a cone. Deals massive damage and has a wide range. A wind up period precedes this devastating ability, use this brief period to move away from the front of the boss to evade this attack.
- Portal Charge - Summons a gilded portal that he charges into before collapsing, this initial charge only deals minor damage. The portal reappears after a few seconds in a different position, Avarice the Gold Cursed charges out of the portal to deal cataclysmic damage on contact that can knockdown. Stay clear!
These are attacks that deal relatively small damage than their major counterparts. A decently built character should be able to withstand these attacks.
- Cleave - Swings a mallet 180 degrees from the starting point around him. Deals moderate damage.
- Gold Vomit - Vomits gold beneath him in a large area. Standing in this gold deals damage over time.
- Ground Stomp - Pulls you in after a wind up to deal minor damage.
- Pillars - Summons pillars that can obstruct movement and block attacks. Pillars are often used as a setup for Mallet Slam, which triggers them to explode for massive damage.
- Be sure to fit in a few Avarice The Gold Cursed fights while traveling. Adding sockets is a key part of gear progression.
- Knowing when and where a World Boss can spawn saves you time. Get there before they start to ensure you don't miss it.
- Understanding health bar breakpoints, attacks and unique stagger mechanics make the fight easier to manage.
Written by DiEoxidE
Reviewed by Chewingnom
- 30 May 2023
Updated for the Launch of Diablo 4