All information in this article is from the Press Preview Access of Diablo 4. The content presented here is subject to change, and will be updated as we learn more.
Each zone as a specific area that they spawn. In Fractured Peaks, these events spawn at the bottom right region known as The Crucible. When you arrive, there is a timer, letting you know how much time is left before it spawns. Use this time to prep for the fight or invite friends to tag alone. You can enter this event after it has already started for a short window of time. These fights are so massive in scale that the camera actually zooms out. This confirms you are in battle.
A World Bosses health bar has 4 breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase becomes increasingly more challenging.
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar that fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the World Boss is rendered helpless for 12 seconds. Use this time to unleash as much hell as you possibly can. Each World Boss also has a unique mechanic in addition to being staggered. The Wandering Death World Boss spawns 2 caged Trapped Souls after being staggered that can be destroyed before he consumes them, causing massive damage.
Wandering Death World Boss Mechanics
We are separating the attack mechanics into two different categories based on threat level; Major and Minor.
These are attacks that can one shot you if you are not careful. Wandering Death often telegraph its attacks, giving you ample time to get out of the way.
- Death Beam - Channels 2 beams from hands while rotating slowly. Channels more beams simultaneously as health depletes. Does massive damage. Stay between the beams as he rotates.
- Death Crater - Creates a crater that explodes and deal damage after 5 seconds. Can block attacks and trap you inside. Creates more craters simultaneously as health depletes. Does great damage. Evade as soon as you see them spawn before the walls go up. Can break through the walls with attacks or movement skills.
- Death Grasp - Shoots 2 hooks underground, then raises up and retracts - pulling you in. Shoots more hooks simultaneously as health depletes. Does great amounts of damage. Keep moving when you see the ground change colors as if it's been combed to avoid the attack.
- Death Pound - Slams the ground twice in front of him, then slams the ground behind him with both hands. This sends a wave of multiple spike lines. Uses more hands to cover more ground as health depletes. Deals massive damage. The pounds at lower health are more dangerous than the spikes that come after. Lookout for the spikes at high health, and be careful of the pounds at low health. Knowing which is more dangerous is key here.
These are attacks that deal relatively small damage compared to their major counterparts. A decently built character should be able to withstand these attacks.
- Death Shout - Shouts and sends shockwaves radiating from the body that knocks back. Increases in distance and damage as health depletes.
- Death Tornadoes - Spawns tornadoes that ravage the battlefield. Comes in 3's. Spawns more of them simultaneously as health depletes.
- Be sure to fit in a few World Bosses while traveling, as only they can drop a Scattered Prism. Adding sockets is a key part of gear progression.
- Knowing when and where a World Boss can spawn saves you time. Get there before they start to ensure you don't miss it.
- Understanding health bar breakpoints, attacks and unique stagger mechanics make the fight easier to manage.
Written by DiEoxidE
Reviewed by Dredscythe & wudijo
Article Created based on the Press Release Version of Diablo 4.