Welcome to the Echo of Varshan Boss Guide. Here you will find all the information to gather summoning materials, summon the Boss, and successfully defeat it.
Summoning Requirements & Location
In order to summon Varshan, Defeat Grotesque Debtors while completing Grim Favors in WT3/4. This has a chance to drop a Malignant Body Part. When you turn in 10 Grim Favors to the Tree of Whispers, there is a guaranteed Malignant Body Part in the Collection you choose. Once you have the correct Parts, you can travel to Varshan's area beneath the tree to summon him. Specifically on WT4, you will also require a Malignant Heart in addition to the Body Parts. They can drop from the same sources as Body Parts.
After gathering the following items, head to the Tree of Whispers to confront the Echo of Varshan.
- Gurgling Head
- Trembling Hand
- Blackened Femur
- Malignant Heart (WT4 only)
Before confronting Varshan consider stopping by the Alchemist to craft yourself either a Potent Elixir of Shadow Resistance or Iron Skin Elixir to protect yourself from Varshan's Shadow and Physical damage respectively.
Health Bar & Stagger
Each Boss's health bar has multiple breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase is more challenging than the last.
Stagger Bar Mechanic
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar, this slowly fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the Boss is rendered helpless for a short window of time. Use this opportunity to unleash as much hell as you possibly can.
Boss Mechanics and Strategy
Pay attention to both of the attacks used by The Echo of Varshan, the following section guides you through the boss's most dangerous abilities.
Echo of Varshan's
Throughout the encounter, Varshan uses 3 abilities, this doesn't change based on his health.
- Tentacle Strike - From time to time, Varshan lashes out with his tentacle-like intestines, while releasing several putrid projectiles.
- This ability doesn't hit particularly hard, but can be avoided by using Evade or your movement skill to jump behind the boss.
- Varshan restores a portion of his Barrier on hit.
- Putrid Dance - Varshan draws upon pure putrescence to cover the floor in a pattern of corruption. Different sections of the floor highlight pink and then explode after a short delay.
- Move out of the pink areas, and follow the pattern to avoid damage.
- The boss uses 3 different patterns for this move.
- Summon Malignance - After summoning 3 Malignant minions Varshan attempts to absorb their power.
- Focus your damage on the malignant minions, kill the one Varshan is targeting with his channel.
- If you fail to kill the minion before his channel completes he'll gain dangerous buffs!
- These include the following:
- Wrathful: Varshan inflicts Daze and deals damage over time on hit.
- Devious: Varshan drains resources on hit.
- Vicious: Increased damage.
Loot Tables and Rewards
Each Boss has a different loot table of Uniques and cosmetic item(s).
Unique Loot table
The items listed below have increased chance to drop from this Boss. You can still find items that aren't on the list, and you are not guaranteed to find a Unique every time you kill the boss.
- Fields of Crimson
- 100,000 Steps
- Gohr's Devastating Grips
- Mad Wolf's Glee
- Vasily's Prayer
- Greatstaff of the Crone
- Bloodless Scream
- Deathless Visage
- Deathspeaker's Pendant
- Eyes in the Dark
- Staff of Endless Rage
- Esu's Heirloom
- Raiment of the Infinite
Non-Class Specific Uniques:
- Mother's Embrace
If you want a handy reference for the items you can farm from each of the endgame bosses, check out our Boss Cheat Sheet!
You can unlock the following exclusive cosmetic reward when you defeat Echo of Varshan.
The Echo of Varshan boss fight video guide.
The Echo of Varshan boss guide covers everything you need to know about where to go, and how to complete this encounter.
- Defeat Grotesque Debtors while completing Grim Favors to collect Malignant Body Parts. Use these to summon Echo of Varshan within the Malignant Burrow.
- This is located right next to the Tree of Whispers.
- To fight the WT4 version you need a Malignant Heart in addition to the 3 normal body parts.
- Make sure your gear is the best it can be; Upgraded Armor and Gems.
- You should be at least level 55 (WT3) or level 75 (WT4) for the smoothest experience, but you can attempt the boss any time after entering World Tier 3 if you're confident in your build.
- Varshan's attacks deal Shadow and Physical damage, try grabbing Elixirs which increase your Shadow Resistance or Armor.
- You need to deal with the boss abilities and his minions to complete the encounter.
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Dredscythe