Welcome to the Lord Zir (Dark Master) Boss Guide. Here you will find all the information to gather summoning materials, summon the Boss, and successfully defeat it.
Summoning Requirements & Location
In order to summon Lord Zir, collect Exquisite Blood from completing Legion Events (1 per) or defeating World Bosses (3 Per). Once you have 9 Exquisite Blood, you can summon him to fight.
To challenge Lord Zir and his vampiric minions you need to make your way to the Darkened Way to the East of Kyovashad. Once within travel to the Ancient's Seat, you'll find Lord Zir by fighting your way to the heart of the dungeon.
Before heading out consider a quick stop at the Alchemist to pick up a Potent Elixir of Fire Resistance to help counter his Fire-based abilities.
Health Bar & Stagger
Each Boss's health bar has multiple breakpoints. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase is more challenging than the last.
Stagger Bar Mechanic
Immediately beneath the health bar is a stagger bar, this slowly fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the Boss is rendered helpless for a short window of time. Use this opportunity to unleash as much hell as you possibly can.
Boss Mechanics and Strategy
Pay attention to each of the attacks used by Lord Zir (Dark Master), the following section guides you through the boss's most dangerous abilities.
Lord Zir's Abilities
Initially Lord Zir attacks you alone, but as the fight progresses he is joined by vampiric minions.
- Slap - Taking offense to your very existence, Lord Zir attempts to slap intruders in his domain.
- This doesn't hit very hard, but you can position behind the boss to avoid it.
- Blood Rain - Lord Zir hunches down and flaps his wings to release a rain of blood upon the arena.
- Watch for where the projectiles land and avoid the puddles.
- The puddles move from time to time, and interact with some of his other abilities.
- Blood Talons - After assuming a crab-like stance, Lord Zir generates claws of blood and scythes targets in front of him.
- This hits fairly hard, but is easy to avoid as you can move behind him when he rears up.
- Wing Blast - When he reaches 66% health Lord Zir gains a new ability. He teleports away from you, and begins to charge a powerful wing blast which deals damage and knocks you back.
- Look for the telegraph on the floor, initially it tracks your movement but the position becomes locked shortly before the ability activates.
While Lord Zir doesn't gain many new abilities over the course of the fight it can become increasingly difficult to deal with him, the minions he summons, and the environmental effects. However the presence of these minions means that you can proc on kill effects liberally to enhance your damage against the boss.
Minions & Environmental Hazards
During the encounter you'll have to deal with bats, Vampire mages, Blood Seekers, and various environmental hazards. He'll summon a Blood Orb or Blood Seeker each time he loses around 20% health, and sometimes summons both at once.
- Blood Puddles - From time to time the blood puddles move around the arena, merging together and emitting projectiles which inflict Vulnerable.
- Avoid standing near puddles, and watch for incoming projectiles.
Blood Orbs- As he takes damage, Lord Zir summons blood orbs which do one of two things;
- Summon Minions - These orbs summon Vampire Bats and Mages, kill them as they spawn.
- Blood Wave - The orbs with a bubbling effect beneath them waves of blood across the arena, avoid standing near them and move away from the waves.
- Summon Blood Seeker - Starting at 80% health Lord Zir occasionally summons a Blood Seeker after losing a portion of his life.
- Burst the Blood Seeker down as these can be dangerous if ignored.
- Empowered Blood Rain - Below 60% health Lord Zir rapidly flaps his wings causing the blood pools to emit projectiles which inflict Vulnerable.
Loot Tables and Rewards
Each Boss has a different loot table of Uniques and cosmetic item(s).
Unique Loot table
The items listed below have increased chance to drop from this Boss. You can still find items that aren't on the list, and you are not guaranteed to find a Unique every time you kill the boss.
- Ramaladni's Magnum Opus
- Rage of Harrogath
- Gohr's Devastating Grips
- The Butcher's Cleaver
- Mad Wolf's Glee
- Vasily's Prayer
- Greatstaff of the Crone
- The Butcher's Cleaver
- Blood Artisan's Cuirass
- Deathless Visage
- Greaves of the Empty Tomb
- Lidless Wall
- Grasp of Shadow
- Eyes in the Dark
- Asheara's Khanjar
- Staff of Endless Rage
- Iceheart Brais
- Raiment of the Infinite
- Esadora's Overflowing Cameo
Non-Class Specific Uniques:
- Penitent Greaves
If you want a handy reference for the items you can farm from each of the endgame bosses, check out our Boss Cheat Sheet!
You can unlock the following exclusive cosmetic reward when you defeat Dark Master (Lord Zir).
Lord Zir (Dark Master) boss fight video guide.
The Lord Zir (Dark Master) boss guide covers everything you need to know about where to go, and how to complete this encounter.
- Defeat World Bosses, or clear Legion events to collect 9 Exquisite Blood, use this to summon Lord Zir within the Ancient's Seat.
- You can find the Ancient's Seat within the Darkened Way to the East of Kyovashad.
- Make sure your gear is the best it can be; Upgraded Armor and Gems.
- You should be level 80 or higher for the smoothest experience, but you can attempt the boss any time after entering World Tier 4 if you're confident in your build.
- Lord Zir's attacks deal Fire damage, try grabbing Elixirs which increase your Fire Resistance.
- You need to deal with the boss abilities, minions, and environmental effects to complete the encounter.
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Northwar