Why farm Worldstone Keep and Baal?
Worldstone Keep and Baal are fantastic to farm for Experience, Runes, Bases, Set and Unique Items. The Worldstone Keep is an Area Level (alvl) 85 zone. Elite Packs in this area can drop every Set and Unique item in the game, making them incredibly valuable to farm. Hunting for Unique and Champion packs can net you tons of items that are Magic quality or higher. This is super relevant for Holy Grailing, collecting every item in the game!
Here are some examples of what you can find in Hell. Check out our drop calculator for all possible drops.
|Caster Builds||Arachnid Mesh|
Tal Rasha's Guardianship
|Attack Builds||Highlord's Wrath|
Verdungo's Hearty Cord
Crown of ages
- Prioritize Magic Find and mobility while only killing the main boss of the Elite packs on Players 1. This is to guarantee a drop and be able to move on quickly to the next pack.
- For Runes and Bases use a well-rounded build, ideally farming Players 7, to kill all Elites and their Minions. You don't need to stack Magic Find if you use this strategy.
- You can full clear the 3 Worldstone Keep levels to maximize killing monster density on higher Player Settings. Another avenue is to rush to the Throne of Destruction and prioritize the Waves before killing Baal for drops.
Normal / Nightmare
Leveling to 40 in Normal Baal runs is a sure fire way to prepare for your Nightmare progression. You need 8 players in game or Player 8 Settings in single player to make this strategy worthwhile. Leveling to 65+ in Nightmare is also very viable. This also requires full party XP bonus to be worthwhile. For your Nightmare leveling section, you will see a massive drop-off by 60. When your Character's gear reaches a point that you can push on, you should.
- While the runner is getting to the Throne of Destruction, take the Waypoint to Frigid Highlands and quickly kill Eldritch for some extra XP.
- If the game-maker has completed the Anya quest, killing Pindleskin is also a great source of extra XP and drops.
Worldstone Keep and the Throne of Destruction are the best places to gain Experience. A solid strategy that works until ~Level 97 is to kill all the Elites and their minions which grant large amounts of Experience. The higher the Player Count, the better.
At Level 97 and above, Baal becomes a main focus for Experience gain due to his high monster level (99). He is 1 of 3 enemies in the game that grant significant Experience, with Diablo (94) and Nihlathak (95) being the others. Due to the way that Experience works, Players 3 with a maximum of 3 actual players in that area is the best for this strategy. Read our detailed post on Experience for more information.
How do I find Worldstone Keep & Baal?
Location and Mechanics
To access the Worldstone Keep, you must first complete the Ancients Quest in Act 5 Harrogath. You must be Character Level 60 when the quest is completed on Hell difficulty to actually finish it. Then find your way to Worldstone Keep 2 and collect the Waypoint there. Our farming strategies always start from here.
Worldstone Keep 2 + 3 From Waypoint
Throne of Destruction
The Throne of Destruction is often slept on, but it's another powerful Area Level 85 spot to farm as well. The top left, middle, and bottom right set of hallways feature large densities of Elite packs. Farming these spots before entering the Throne itself nets you tons of extra drops per run.
Tips & Tricks
Mega Danger: Black Souls
Mega Danger 2: Death Lords
Frenzied Ice Spawn
Every monster in Worldstone Keep and the Throne of Destruction is naturally immune to at least 1 damage type. ~50% of them cannot be broken by common sources like infinity's conviction Aura. Builds with multiple damage types are able to full clear most monster combinations, but single damage types need to ignore some monster packs. It is faster to push past packs that are immune to your primary damage type, and hopefully find other monster types on the next level.
Worldstone Keep, the Throne of Destruction, and Baal are the epitome of end-game farming in Diablo 2. Builds typically need their best in slot gear to farm here efficiently.
- Amazon - Lightning Fury
- Do not farm this area without Infinity on this build. Instead, check out our Secret Cow Level Farming Guide, where she destroys cows!
- Lightning Immunes are the easiest to break in the game, and Worldstone/Throne are no exception. The Amazon can quickly delete the high monster density with little issue. There are Immunes that are not broken by your gear, and in some circumstances you are able to jab these down. Ignore any harder to kill monsters.
- Assassin - Lightning Sentry
- The Assassin has very high mobility through Burst of Speed especially when paired with a Staff of Teleportation or Enigma.
- She also can take out any enemy here easily with Lightning Sentry followed by Death sentry. With these Skills you're dealing Lightning, Fire, and Physical Damage, letting you clear any immunities they might have. When you encounter Light + Fire Immune monsters that don't pop to Death sentry, move on.
- Barbarian - Berserk / Whirlwind
- Berserk Barb is recommended for farming Worldstone Keep Levels 1-2-3. His high Magic and Physical Damage output means he can manage any monster immunities you come across. He suffers in Baal farming because the 2nd wave is naturally Magic Immune, and has high Physical Resistance as well.
- Whirlwind Barb is better for Baal farming because its high Physical Damage is better suited for clearing waves. It also applies Crushing Blow easier than the Zerker. This drastically speeds up Baal kill time.
- Druid - Hurricane Tornado
- The Wind Druid can farm Worldstone Keep fairly well. While the Wind Druid is not the fastest clearer, it deals both Physical and Cold Damage allowing you to deal with most immunes. You also have decent clear speed on the Throne Room and Baal, with decrepify from your Mercenary boosting your tornado.
- Access to cyclonearmor, summongrizzly, and oaksage make this Build incredibly tanky. A safe farmer, is a happy farmer.
- Necromancer - Summoner
- With his army of undead, the Summoner is a very safe build to take into the Worldstone Keep. Access to high Physical and Fire damage also means he can pop everything on screen, regardless of immunities.
- With Max Block Chance and full summons, tele-stomping this area is incredibly satisfying. Your Mercenary and any Crushing Blow revives make quick work of Baal.
- Paladin - Fist of the Heavens
- The FoHdin is the premier Paladin farming build for Worldstone Keep/Throne. Your ridiculous mobility, Max Block, and huge Magic Damage output makes quick work of most monsters in both areas. For Baal kill speed, the Try-Brid Variant lets you quickly smite him into oblivion!
- Sorceress - Lightning
- Do not farm this area without Infinity on this build.
- This Sorceress is able to tear apart Worldstone and the Throne Room with the 200 Faster Cast Rate Breakpoint, and the easiest to manage monster immunity. Any monsters that maintain their Lightning Immunity through your conviction should be ignored.
- Worldstone Keep and Throne of Destruction are some of the best areas in Diablo 2 for Experience, Runes, Bases, Sets and Uniques! These areas require very powerful Character Builds, and end-game Runewords like infinity.
- Load your character up on Lightning Resistance before farming here, so you don't get one-tapped by the Black Souls. Remember to get more distance from Death Lords than you think you need.
- You can farm some or all of these areas in a single run. If you're going into the Throne to include Baal, make sure you can kill every wave.
- Elite packs with amplifydamage, conviction Aura, or fanaticism can spell the death of under-geared Characters.
- Remember that you don’t have to farm alone - grab teammates to do Baal runs and get your chance at his amazing drops!
Written by MacroBioBoi
Reviewed by Raxxanterax