Learn about the key build info and how to increase damage and defense with your stats and gear for the Poison Seismic Trap Saboteur Build.
Key Leveling Notes
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
- Start as a DUELIST, reach Lioneye's Watch and choose Splitting Steel as your reward. Stash your inventory and then make a Shadow character.
- Reach Lioneye's Watch and grab everything from your stash, including Splitting Steel.
- Complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Talk to Nessa and choose Quicksilver Flask and ignore the gem.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and ignore the first gem and get Frostblink.
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town, then talk to Nessa and grab: Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint after Dweller of the Deep.
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- After killing Brutus, return to town and choose Flame Dash. This replaces Frostblink.
- Purchase Precision from Nessa. Be careful, as it reserves more mana depending on the level of gem.
- Complete the quest The Marooned Mariner and grab the waypoint in Merveil's Caverns.
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, return to town and talk to Bestel for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Purchase Poisonous Concoction and Withering Step from Nessa, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
- Poisonous Concoction requires you to unequip the weapon slot, allowing you to still use a shield. Using this skill will consume your Life Flasks, so make sure to use at least two.
Act 1 Tips
- You create a Duelist for Splitting Steel, as it is the best physical gem you can use from levels 1-12.
- Note that The Way Forward is an Act 1 quest that is only completable in Act 2.
- Use a two-handed weapon base from level 8 until 12, then swap to a shield and nothing in your main hand.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to mitigate her Cold Damage. Kill her and move onto Act 2!
- Walk north into The Forest Encampment, sell all items you acquired from Merveil, then go to the right of town into The Old Fields and complete The Great White Beast.
- Talk to Yeena and select the magic Quicksilver Flask reward.
- At this point use two Life flasks, one Mana flask, and two Quicksilver Flasks.
- Waypoint back to The Crossroads, complete the Trial of Ascendancy and finish the quest Intruders in Black in the Chambers of Sin 2.
- Make sure to complete the Trial of Ascendancy in the Chambers of Sin 2.
- Talk to Greust and select the gem Herald of Agony.
- Talk to Yeena and purchase the gems Summon Skitterbots and Blood Rage.
- Go left from the Town to complete the quest Sharp and Cruel in The Weaver's Chambers.
- Talk to Silk and get the gem Faster Attacks Support. You can level this gem in your off-hand weapons.
- Complete the quest Deal with the Bandits.
- Waypoint to the Crossroads, go right to the Broken Bridge, kill Kraityn, and return to town.
- Waypoint to the Riverways, go north to The Wetlands, and kill Oak.
- While in the Western Forest, kill Alira and complete the quest The Way Forward.
- After completing these quests, talk to Eramir for two Passive Skillpoints, then return to Lioneye's Watch to receive another Passive Skillpoint from Bestel.
- Complete the quest Shadow of the Vaal by killing the Act 2 boss, Vaal Oversoul. After this, return to town and complete the Trial of Ascendancy in The Crypt. Once these are done, move onto Act 3!
Act 2 Tips
- If you sell rare items identified they will give you Alteration Shards, while selling them unidentified gives you Transmutation Shards.
- Herald of Agony gives you 10% more Poison Damage, +20% chance to poison, and you gain a scorpion summon that will do damage to monsters. This damage increases as you apply more poisons in quick succession.
- Summon Skitterbots gives two small robot minions that run up to nearby monsters. One will chill nearby monsters and the other will shock them, slowing them and increasing damage taken respectively.
- Use a Ruby Ring for Vaal Ruins as the monsters casting Explosive Arrow are scary.
- Waypoint to the City of Sarn, kill the Guard Captain, and talk to Clarissa. Complete Lost in Love.
- Complete the Trial of Ascendancy and obtain Tolman's Bracelet.
- Talk to Clarissa to obtain the Sewer Keys.
- Talk to Maramoa and choose Despair.
- Complete the quests Victario's Secrets, The Ribbon Spool and The Gemling Queen.
- Choose the rare Lapis Amulet as a reward.
- Ensure that you complete the Trial of Ascendancy from The Catacombs at some point during this cycle.
- Complete the quests Sever the Right Hand and Piety's Pets.
- Aim for at least level 27 before killing Piety. After killing her, return to town.
- Talk to Hargan for a Passive Skillpoint (from the quest Victario's Secrets).
- Talk to Grigor to get a Passive Skillpoint.
- Complete the Trial of Ascendancy in The Imperial Gardens.
- While fighting Dominus, avoid getting slammed when he raises his fist. Kill Dominus and move on to Act 4!
Act 3 Tips
- Use Despair on magic and rare packs, and all boss encounters.
- Ignore the quest Sever the Right Hand. This build does not require you to kill Gravicius.
- Farm The Docks if you are behind in XP. You can reset a zone by holding down Ctrl and left clicking on either a zone entrance or Waypoint.
- Any of the two-stone ring bases, such as Two-Stone Ring, are the best type of rings you can equip. Despite this, always prioritize stats over basetype. For example, Coral Ring is superior to Two-Stone Ring
- Gems can level up in any socket, including your off-hand!
- Try to get your Fire, Cold, and Lightning resists close to 75%.
- The best crafts are from the Crafting Bench in your hideout. Use the 16-20% of a single resist craft, which only costs an Orb of Transmutation.
- Complete the quest Breaking the Seal, and farm Dried Lake until at least level 30.
- Complete the quest An Indomitable Spirit.
- Reach the Waypoint in the Crystal Veins and complete the normal Labyrinth.
- Ascend as a Saboteur, and choose Born in the Shadows.
- Born in the Shadows causes nearby enemies and enemies hit to be blinded, reducing their accuracy and damage. Cannot be blinded is a very small bonus while you are still a Poisonous Concoction build.
- Do not progress past Crystal Veins without being at least level 32. Farm Dried Lake if you need to catch up.
- Complete the quest The Eternal Nightmare by killing Daresso and Kaom.
- Kill Piety, then complete the quest Corpus Malachus.
- Talk to Piety again, go kill Malachai, and move on to Act five!
Act 4 Tips
- Act 4 is when the game strains your resistances, and playing below 75% is extremely dangerous. Start to overcap resists in this Act as you are aiming for at least 105% by the time you kill Act 5 Kitava.
- Keep identifying rare items to find high Life and Resistance gear.
- Complete the quest Return to Oriath and talk to Lani for a ring matching the resists you need the most. A Two-Stone ring is superior to any of the single-resist rings as they are easier to replace later.
- Complete the quests In Service to Science, The Key to Freedom, and reach the Chamber of Innocence.
- Return to town and talk to Lani for a
- Talk to Vilenta for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Complete the quest Death to Purity.
- Complete the quests The Ravenous God and Kitava's Torments.
- Kill Kitava, and move onto Act six!
Act 5 Tips
- Get at least 75% resists in Fire, Cold, and Lightning - but aim for 105%, as you lose 30% from killing Kitava.
- Put every armor and jewelry piece you're using into the crafting bench in your hideout to see if it has space for a Fire, Cold, or Lightning resist craft. This is only usable if the item has an Open Suffix (hold Alt on an item to check).
- In softcore, it is acceptable if your elemental resistances are around 50%.
- Once you enter the Chamber of Innocence, farm this zone until at least level 40. You can reset a campaign zone by holding down CTRL and clicking on the zone or Waypoint.
- When Kitava closes his fist, he spawns orbs that hone in on your location in an X formation, exploding in the center. Avoid any slams and abilities from the large unique monsters that spawn.
- Go out to The Coast and get the Waypoint, then go to the Mud Flats and complete the quest The Father of War.
- Once at the Ridge Waypoint, take it back to The Coast and complete Bestel's Epic.
- Use a Portal Scroll and complete Fallen From Grace.
- Talk to Lily Roth for 2x Passive Respec Points. This vendor gives access to all gems in the game, and can be accessed from your hideout.
- Talk to Bestel for either a rare Leather Belt or Agate Amulet, depending on which slot needs a bigger upgrade.
- Talk to Tarkleigh for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Travel to The Lower Prison and complete the Trial of Ascendancy.
- Finish Essence of Umbra by killing Brutus and Shavronne.
- Kill Abberath in Prisoner's Gate for The Cloven One.
- Grab the Waypoint in The Riverways, then go north to The Wetlands and kill Ryslatha for The Puppet Mistress.
- Return to town and talk to Bestel for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Talk to Tarkleigh for a rare (4L helm) and a Passive Skillpoint.
- Complete the remaining questline to defeat The Brine King, then move onto Act 7.
Act 6 tips
- If entering Act 6 at 42, you don't need to farm any XP past this point until Act 9. Remain within 6 levels of your current zone.
- Entering this Act without 75% all resists is perfectly fine (in softcore!). The elemental damage you take here depends on which part of the Act you are in. The Mud Flats and the Tukohama fight requires Fire res, the Shavronne fight Lightning res, and the Brine King Cold and Lightning res. Using this, it’s okay if your resists initially look like 75% Fire, 50% Cold, and 50% Lightning (again, in softcore). In hardcore, ensure that all resists equal 75% or more.
- Go to your hideout and throw each piece individually at the crafting bench to see if you can craft a Fire, Cold, or Lightning resist on them for 1 Orb of Transmutation each. Obviously only craft the types of resists you need!
- You may skip Abberath and Ryslatha until late Act 7 if your character is too weak at this point.
- Select the Brine King Pantheon (the Keybind is Y by default) after killing The Brine King.
- Complete the quest The Silver Locket.
- Travel to The Crypt for the Trial of Ascendancy and the map for Essence of the Artist.
- Waypoint back to The Crossroads, travel north to the Chamber of Sins, and complete Web of Secrets.
- Do the Trial of Ascendancy while in the Chambers of Sin 2, and complete The Master of a Million Faces.
- Gather the seven fireflies for the quest Lighting the Way, and kill Greust for the quest The Master of a Million Faces while in The Dread Thicket.
- Exit The Dread Thicket and travel to The Causeway for Kishara's Star.
- Get to the Waypoint in the Vaal City and talk to Yeena there, then return to town.
- Select the Pantheon Ralakesh, Master of a Million Faces.
- Talk to Eramir for two Passive Skillpoints.
- Talk to Weylam Roth to select the Quartz Flask and a Passive Skillpoint.
- Talk to Helena and select the rare Carnal Boots.
- After this, complete the Cruel Labyrinth.
- Completing Cruel Lab awards you with Pyromaniac.
- Pyromaniac provides Ignite and Shock immunity, both being dangerous ailments that won't be inflicted on your character again. Later on, this Ascendancy point will provide you with enough Life per Second to sustain your traps which will cost HP.
- Finally, Waypoint back to The Vaal City, travel to Temple of Decay 2, and kill Arakaali. Avoid the cone of poisonous bolts, as well as the purple orbs that spawn far away and travel towards the boss. After this, move onto Act 8!
Act 7 Tips
- A faster way to complete the cycle in late Act 7 after killing Greust is to place a portal outside of the Dread Thicket, go through The Causeway for Kishara's Star, get to the waypoint in Vaal City, then take the waypoint back to town and go through your portal. This is not included up above as portals expire if you are too slow.
- Kill Doedre for the quest Essence of the Hag, then go to the right towards The Quay.
- Complete the quest Love is Dead, then travel to the Grain Gate to complete The Gemling Legion.
- Continue to the Solaris Temple and get the waypoint in Solaris Temple 1.
- Complete the quest Solar Eclipse and return to town.
- Talk to Clarissa for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Talk to Hargan for whichever Two-Stone ring reward you need the most.
- Talk to Maramoa for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Go back to Solaris Temple 1, travel to the Solaris Concourse, through Harbour Bridge, then Lunaris Concourse.
- Go to the Lunaris Temple 2 and complete Lunar Eclipse.
- Travel to the Lunaris Concourse and kill the Twins Solaris the Eternal Sun and Lunaris the Eternal Eternal Moon.
Stand behind Solaris when she throws her Fire Spear and move away when Lunaris fires Cold Rain from the Sky.
Afterwards, continue onwards to Act 9 and the best zone in the campaign for farming - the Blood Aqueducts!
- Upon entering the Blood Aqueducts, swap your build over to Seismic Trap and Exsanguinate (trap). The build will lose some speed, but it is imperative that your gems are all leveled up for maps.
- Farm the Blood Aqueducts until character level 64 for gear, gem levels, and currency.
- Get your elemental resists to be close to 105% when killing Act 10 Kitava as you receive another 30% penalty to resistances. Mapping with ~60% resists is fine for softcore, but is a definite no-go in hardcore.
- While farming Blood Aqueduct you might find Humility cards, which sell for approximately 2 Chaos Orb at the start of a league.
- Go back to Lunaris Concourse in Act 8 to get the Trail of Ascendancy in the Bath House and complete the Reflection of Terror in the High Gardens. Return to town and talk to Hargan for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Complete the quest The Storm Blade. Return to town then talk to Petarus and Vanja for an Alder Spiked Shield.
- Talk to Sin for the next quest item, then Petarus and Vanja again. Return back to the Vastiri Desert waypoint and complete the quest Queen of the Sands. Return to town and talk to Irasha for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Kill The Basilisk in the Boiling Lake.
- Complete the quest Fastis Fortuna.
- Complete the Trial of Ascendancy in The Tunnel.
- Complete the Ruler of Highgate, then return to town and talk to Irasha for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Finish the quest Recurring Nightmare by killing Act 9 boss The Depraved Trinity. Avoid the boss' slam, and avoid getting hit by the scorpion ads that spawn. Next, move onto Act 10!
- Kill Plaguewing and complete the quest Safe Passage.
- Place a portal in the middle of the Ruined Square, and go to the waypoint in the Control Blocks (left).
- Take the waypoint back to town and talk to Lani in town for a Silver Flask.
- This Flask gives a buff called Onslaught, which grants 20% increased attack, cast, and movement speed.
- Don't complete the quest Vilenta's Vengeance in the Control Blocks at this time if your character feels weak. Instead, go through your portal that you placed earlier and go to the right this time towards the Ossuary.
- Complete the quest No Love for Old Ghosts and the Trial of Ascendancy in the Ossuary.
- Complete the Merciless Labyrinth and choose Perfect Crime.
- Go a bit slower than normal in Merciless Labyrinth as there is a difficulty spike. Stop for dark shrines, and try to get extra keys if they are along your path. Merciless lab can provide a lot of currency and gear at this stage.
- Perfect Crime gives you increased damage per trap, gives a 25% chance for traps to trigger an additional time, and reduces the (HP) cost of your traps by 25%. This node is exactly what a trap build wants, as all three fit the build perfectly.
- Kill Avarius to complete the quest Death and Rebirth, then return to town.
- Talk to Bannon with the The Staff of Purity in your inventory.
- Talk to Lani for a Zodiac Leather.
- Talk to Weylam Roth for 2x Passive Respec Points.
- Travel back to the Ravaged Square, talk to Innocence, and complete the quest An End to Hunger.
- Kill Kitava, and move onto the mapping section below - congratulations on completing the campaign!
- Note that killing Kitava reduces your overall resistances by 30% again. Prepare for this by obtaining gear with as high resists as possible. Aim for 75% Fire, Cold, and Lightning Resists for mapping.
For information about the Pantheon and how it works, don't hesitate to consult our Pantheon Guide!
For Major Pantheon, select Brine King to gain Immunity to Freeze and Reduction of Chill Effect. This bonus is not baseline and needs to be acquired with a Divine Vessel.
For Minor Pantheon, select Shakari and upgrade it. This gives you defences against Poisons and Chaos Degens.
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on the Path of Exile Endgame. Priority #1 is to ensure your Elemental Resistances are capped (75%) and that you have sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any item that is not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft Resistances wherever possible according to what you need and Maximum Life wherever else possible.
Take note of the below modifiers as they should be avoided or run with caution when they appear on your maps:
- Players cannot Regenerate Life, Mana or Energy Shield
- -X% maximum Player Resistances
- Monsters have a X% chance to avoid Poison, Impale, and Bleeding