Strengths and Weaknesses
With your main hand empty, throw your Poisonous Concoction to cover your foes with an acrid mix of toxins. Overlap your projectiles to inflict many Poison stacks onto enemies, dealing Chaos Damage over time. Upgrade your weapon by turning the life recovery of your Divine Life Flasks into Chaos Damage causing massive damage, at little cost. Level and clear the atlas as Poisonous Concoction until you have enough gear to swap your main ability to Blade Blast.
Unleash a torrent of blades with Bladefall to leave Lingering Blades surrounding your foes. Before they react, use Blade Blast to cause your Lingering Blades to explode dealing massive damage to anyone caught within their radius.
Utility And Auras
Activate your Auras giving you Evasion and Armour through Grace and Determination. Molten Shell activates a shield scaled with your Armour. Shield Charge is your main movement ability, causing you to slam your shield, face first, through enemies.
Despair is the main curse of our build and gives us gigantic explosion chains when you obtain a Despair On Hit Ring. This causes your Profane Bloom to also apply Despair. Your second curse Temporal Chains will bind your enemies movement (slowing them to a glacial pace) while your Poison inflicts its damage over a longer duration.
Ancestral Protector provides you with the speed of your ancestor, giving you more Attack Speed. Throw down this totem on strong enemies to inflict many more stacks of Poison.
You can incubate (store) your Poison inside of you with Plague Bearer. While incubating for use later, you deal less Poison damage. Activate your Plague Bearer when full to unleash a Chaos Damage cloud around you. While releasing your Plague, run through packs of monsters and let your Profane Bloom wreak havoc among their ranks.
Level as Poisonous Concoction through the atlas by simply throwing your vials onto your enemies to inflict Poison. After you obtain enough gear, swap to the BF/BB setup. Lay down your blades with Bladefall and explode them with Blade Blast. On both versions, incubate your Poisons with Plague Bearer and unleash them when full.
Focus on using your main damaging ability until you're at Maximum Plague Value. Unleash your Plague Bearer and Shield Charge through packs of monsters, letting your Profane Bloom take care of everything until your Plague Value is empty. Simply repeat the process for fast clear.
Bosses don't go down easy, so save your Plague Bearer to use on the Map Boss. Put down your Ancestral Protector when playing Poisonous Concoction, and use Focus, giving you Ailment duration. Apply your Curses and unleash your Plague Bearer.
Leveling Section by tytykiller
Key Leveling Notes
Warning: This build is difficult and slow to level. If you are a beginner player, it is recommended to play the Poisonous Concoction Pathfinder. The Occultist version eventually has better clear due to Profane Bloom, at the cost of leveling slower and coming online later.
This build will level as Holy Flame Totem and Flame Wall, and will do Library in Act 3 to gain access to Poisonous Concoction. You will use this to level until you gain the cast speed in late game necessary to swap to BFBB.
The "Wand Craft" is the easiest way to make any caster leveling better. Selling a magic wand, an Orb of Alteration, and a normal Topaz Ring produces a wand like this: Snapping Driftwood Wand.
If you need a magic wand, purchase a 3-linked wand from Nessa with favorable colors, those being Blue-Blue-Green, Blue-Blue-Blue, or Blue-Green-Red. Then use an Orb of Transmutation on it. If you need a Topaz Ring, you can sell an Iron Ring with any Skill Gem that is colored Green.
Note: Selling rare items identified they will give you Alteration Shards, while selling them unidentified gives Transmutation Shards.
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
Step 1: Level 2
- Create a Witch character
- Kill Hillock. Talk to Nessa, click Purchase Items, and paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Paste it in the vendor window in-game and it will highlight four links, movement speed boots, and items with Blue-Blue-Red (BBR), Blue-Blue-Blue (BBB), or Green-Green-Green (GGG) sockets. This is called a regex filter, and is imperative to finding important items quickly! GGG items are important for your swap in Act 3, but are not important right now.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and choose Freezing Pulse as your reward.
- This spell does more damage at point blank range, so don't cast this far away from monsters!
- Talk to Tarkleigh, click Purchase Items, and copy the following line : -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- After this, complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Upon killing Hailrake, hit escape and press EXIT TO CHARACTER SELECT (or type /exit in chat). This saves you a Portal Scroll. Selecting a different log out option puts you in a queue on a league start. This "return to town" method is used many times in this guide.
Step 2: Level 4
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Quicksilver Flask and Summon Phantasm Support.
- Purchase Holy Flame Totem from Nessa and paste: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab: Flame Wall and Frostblink.
- The primary purpose of Flame Wall is so any projectile that passes through the wall gains extra damage. Cast Holy Flame Totem followed by Flame Wall. Any monster still alive should be finished off with Freezing Pulse.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Note: you only have to reach the Waypoint in Lower Prison to acquire a gem from the quest.
Step 3: Level 8
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town.
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Added Lightning Damage Support.
- Purchase Combustion Support from Nessa.
- Click Purchase Items from Nessa and paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Sell Nessa a magic wand, an Orb of Alteration, and a normal Topaz Ring. This step is incredibly important, and is covered in the Key Leveling Notes found above.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
Step 4: Level 10
- After killing Brutus, return to town.
- Click Purchase Items from Nessa, then paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab Flame Dash. This replaces Frostblink.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh, then paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|b-b-r|b-[br]-b|r-b-b|nne
- Complete the quest The Marooned Mariner and grab the waypoint in Merveil's Caverns.
Step 5: Level 12
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, return to town.
- Talk to Bestel and grab the Passive Skillpoint, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to nullify her Cold Damage. Kill Merveil and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and ready to take on the Path of Exile Endgame. Priority 1 is to ensure your Elemental Resistances are capped (75%) and have sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any item that is not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot should be crafted on. Go to the Crafting Bench and craft Resistances wherever possible according to what you need, and Life wherever else possible.
IMPORTANT! Upgrade your flasks to Divine Life Flask when you hit maps and roll them for #% increased Amount Recovered as this is your "Weapon" when using Poisonous Concoction.
Take note of the below modifiers, as they should be avoided if they appear on your maps:
- Less Armour reduces your main defences.
- Reduced Effect Of Auras eliminate our defences.
- Cannot Leech removes how we regain our Mana.
- -X% maximum Player Resistances causes you to take extra Elemental damage.
Recommended Farming Content
First step is to progress through the Atlas following our Atlas Progression Guide. As a mapping focused character, you should focus on gearing your character with strong pieces to prepare yourself to farm Red Map content. If you're struggling in higher tier content, go back and farm up more Currency and Gear. The endgame section below will take you to detailed Farming Guides based around maximizing your profits.
Poisonous Concoction Setup
Poisonous Concoction is your main ability until the BF/BB swap. This skill gem can hit multiple targets with its overlapping AOE projectiles, so link Greater Multiple Projectiles Support and Greater Volley Support. Void Manipulation Support provides raw damage, with Unbound Ailments Support providing additional damage and duration of ailments. The last link will be Lifetap Support to ease our early Mana issues by not being forced into a Mana flask.
Your primary movement ability will be Shield Charge linked to Faster Attacks Support. Use Flame Dash to traverse over gaps and make sure to link Lifetap Support to this entire setup to ease your Mana pressure.
Ancestral Protector is put down for tough enemies. Use this before starting a boss fight, as it provides more Attack Speed. Once you swap to BF/BB, don't use this anymore.
Use Determination to mitigate Physical Damage. Use Grace to obtain Evasion Rating, giving you Chance to Evade Attacks. When you have enough Vaal Orbs, corrupt your Grace into a Vaal Grace. Use it right before engaging with a boss for a huge boost in Chance to Evade Attacks. After the BF/BB swap, use Defiance Banner to boost both Evasion Rating and Armour.
Plague Bearer + Withering Step
Link Plague Bearer and Withering Step to Increased Area of Effect Support to make them affect a greater amount of monsters. Plague Bearer should be treated as your main clear ability that you load up and release onto monsters. Withering Step is how you apply the Wither debuff, causing enemies to take 6% increased Chaos Damage per Wither.
Blasphemy Temporal Chains
Blasphemy Support linked with Temporal Chains makes your Curse into and Area of effect Aura. This allows you to easily Curse enemies who come within that area. This pairs very well with Profane Bloom giving you easy explosions. Temporal Chains is chosen because it makes effects on enemies expire slower. This means our Poison does the same amount of damage per second, but does more damage in total. It also causes enemies to become slower, which stops enemies from hitting you and helps you recover damage taken in between enemy attacks.
Cast when Damage Taken
Cast when Damage Taken Support should be linked to Molten Shell to trigger a protective shield that scales off Armour and absorbs damage for a duration. If you can't use Determination to scale your Armour yet, then replace it with Steelskin.
Bladefall Blade Blast (BF/BB)
Once you obtain everything needed to preform the BF/BB swap, change your main ability to Blade Blast and Bladefall. This one-two combo will provide you with some much needed Life Recovery and some additional damage. Link Blade Blast to Chance to Poison Support for flat Chaos Damage and Chance to Poison, Increased Area of Effect Support to increase the explosion radius to cause overlaps and then Void Manipulation Support, Unbound Ailments Support and Deadly Ailments Support for pure damage.
For your Bladefall, link a Level 1 Unleash Support to cause repeats of this ability, leaving the maximum amount of lingering blades on the ground. Use a Level 1 Spell Cascade Support to cause a repeat of this ability in front and behind where you targeted, helping leave even more lingering blades. Lastly, Link Concentrated Effect Support to cause your lingering blades to fall within a concentrated area, allowing more overlapping explosions from Blade Blast.
NEW BOSSING SETUP
For Pinnacle Bosses, you should replace Unleash Support with Arcanist Brand, and follow the recommended passive tree in the End Game POB. This will have you take Runebinder which allows you to have 2 Brands attached to enemies. Then you simply spam Blade Blast after your Brands cast Bladefall.
Skill Tree Progression
Bladefall Blade Blast (BF/BB) Swap
Swap to BF/BB after leveling with Poisonous Concoction to level 88. You are swapping at this point because BF/BB does more damage and has a better recovery method through the use of +# Life gained for each Enemy hit by your Spells. The stat you need on your gear to make a comfortable swap is increased Cast Speed on your Wand, Ring, Amulet, and Gloves. This may sound intimidating, but with Harvest Reforge Caster, it becomes trivial. You will need an 8 passive Large Physical Cluster, a 5 passive Chaos Damage over Time Medium Cluster, a 5 passive Critical Strike Chance Medium Cluster, a 2 passive Enduring Composure Armour Small Cluster, and a 2 passive Mana reservation efficiency Small Cluster. These bases are all easy to purchase or craft. They are also covered at the end of the Early Game Milestones.
Path of Building
IMPORTANT! The POB's have multiple Trees, Gear and Gem sets. Make sure to swap ALL.
You NEED the community fork of POB for these to work! https://pathofbuilding.community/
Leveling + Early Game - https://pobb.in/2lpa7uWKn_gH
Mid Game - https://pobb.in/McNK1_-iArXl
End Game - https://pobb.in/iBQu0Qkavv38
The Blade Blast Occultist is one of the best mappers for a League Start. Charge around, explode packs, and have a blast. The gearing is simple and easier than ever with full crafting instructions. Simply use Plague Bearer, and let your Profane Bloom take care of it all.
If you have any questions, come ask them on my livestream Twitch.tv/TriPolarBear
If you're looking for what to farm for more Currency, check out our META section!
Written by Tripolarbear.
Reviewed by Raxxanterax.
Published for Release