Strengths and Weaknesses
Poisonous Concoction is an unarmed skill that throws flasks at enemies, poisoning them in the process.
Whenever you attack with it, you remove 2 Life Flask Charges (if possible). Then, you deal extra damage equal to a percentage of the Life that would've been recovered if the Life Flask in question was used.
This means that crafting your Flasks is extremely worthwhile, similar to how other builds craft their weapons.
Plague Bearer takes a portion of the Poison Damage you deal and stores it. After it's fully charged, you can release it to unleash a Poisonous Aura around you that melts every foe in it's way.
This Totem debuffs enemies with the Wither spell, applying a debuff that slows enemies and makes them take extra Chaos Damage.
Our Auras are used for defensive purposes:
1) Determination to reduce incoming Physical Damage.
2) Grace to grant a chance to avoid enemy attacks outright.
3) Defiance Banner grants you both Armour and Evasion Rating, synergizing well with our other Auras.
Shield Charge is our main Movement Skill. You charge ahead with your Shield, getting faster the more Movement and Attack Speed you have.
In general, Poisonous Concoction can switch between a ranged or melee playstyle. While throwing flasks from range gives you more safety, being in your enemies face provides more overlapping explosions.
This build has a fast-paced mapping playstyle that uses Shield Charge to get from A to B while throwing Poisonous Concoction at enemies. Whenever it's off-cooldown, use Plague Bearer to get a Poisonous Aura around you and kill enemies without having to attack. Only use your Wither-Totem on map bosses or tanky Rare Monsters.
Mapping is where this build excels, so choose the content you run accordingly!
The way you approach bosses depends on your gear level and the difficulty of the fight. In easier fights, you can face tank enemy hits while keeping up your damage at all times, outleeching most of the enemies hits. You may need to kite harder foes and adjust to a ranged playstyle. Keeping your Wither Totem up is vital since it enhances your damage potential significantly!
Leveling section by Tytykiller
Key Leveling Notes
This build is incredibly smooth to level once the player reaches level 12 and gains Poisonous Concoction. I recommend pasting this regex into the Search Bar of Vendors selling Armors and Weapons when you go back to town:
Paste this in the vendor window in-game and it highlights four links, movement speed boots, and items with Green-Green-Green (GGG) sockets. This is called a regex filter, and is imperative to finding important items quickly!
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
Step 1: Level 2
- Kill Hillock. Talk to Tarkleigh and choose Caustic Arrow as your reward.
- Caustic Arrow clears extremely well when paired with Pierce Support
- Talk to Tarkleigh, click Purchase Items, and copy the following line: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|nne
- Paste it in the vendor window in-game and it highlights four links, movement speed boots, and items with Green-Green-Green (GGG) sockets. This is called a regex filter, and is imperative to finding important items quickly!
- After this, complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Upon killing Hailrake, hit escape and press EXIT TO CHARACTER SELECT (or type /exit in chat). This saves you a Portal Scroll. Selecting a different log out option puts you in a queue on a league start. This "Return to Town" method is used many times in this guide.
Step 2: Level 4
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Quicksilver Flask and Mirage Archer Support.
- Talk to Nessa and Purchase War Banner.
- War Banner is our first aura. Activating it causes monster deaths to store 50 charges. When released, it gives us the Adrenaline buff for a huge damage boost. This is best used on magic packs, rare monsters, or large packs of regular monsters.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab: Shrapnel Ballista and Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Note: you only have to reach the Waypoint in Lower Prison to acquire a gem from the quest.
- Ideally you have a Green-Green-Green (GGG) item for Caustic Arrow - Pierce Support - Mirage Archer Support
- If you only have a Green-Green then just link Caustic Arrow to Pierce Support
Step 3: Level 8
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town.
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support.
- You can level this gem in any Green Socket you are currently not using, including in your off-hand!
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex: -[rgb]-.-|g-g-g|nne
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- Start to look for a shield from this point onwards. Any shield will do, but best case scenario find a rare shield with some life and resistances.
Step 4: Level 10
- After killing Brutus, return to town.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab Smoke Mine. This replaces Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh, then paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests The Marooned Mariner and The Siren's Cadence.
- Note: you do not need to kill Merveil to acquire a gem from The Siren's Cadence.
Step 5: Level 12
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, talk to Nessa for Poisonous Concoction.
- Poisonous Concoction requires your main hand to be empty, so unequip your bow, and equip any type of shield that you have found so far. The skill consumes your Life Flask if possible to deal more damage, so keep up to date with your Life Flasks! You may see the most relevant Life flasks here. Lastly, the projectiles from Poisonous Concoction may overlap if the player has enough Area of Effect and number of projectiles. This becomes more relevant later on, when the character equips Greater Multiple Projectiles Support and Greater Volley Support.
- Talk to Nessa and purchase Withering Step, Onslaught Support, and Volley Support.
- Use Volley Support rather than Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support for more projectile damage. Replace Onslaught Support with Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support during boss fights
- Talk to Bestel and grab the Passive Skillpoint, then complete The Siren's Cadence..
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to nullify her Cold Damage. Kill Merveil and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on Path of Exile's Endgame. Priority 1 is capping your Elemental Resistances (75%) and having sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any item that is not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft the Resistances you need and Life wherever else possible.
Avoid (or cautiously run) the following modifiers:
- Avoid Chance to avoid Poison because you can't Poison frequently enough!
- Avoid Enemies have +x% Chaos Resistance because it significantly decreases your damage!
- Take care of -% to maximum Resistances because you then get destroyed by Elemental Damage!
- Avoid Reduced Effect of Auras because it reduces your Armour and Evasion, making you vulnerable to attacks!
Recommended Farming Content
The first step is to progress through the Atlas following our Atlas Progression Guide. As an allrounder/mapping character, you can do most content in the game but excel at rushing through maps and Heists. If you're struggling in higher tier content, step back and farm up more Currency and Gear. To learn how to maximize currency with all the different League Mechanics, click the links below:
Poisonous Concoction is our main damage dealer. Add Greater Volley Support and Greater Multiple Projectiles Support to throw more flasks at once. These flasks can overlap on targets to deal greater single-target damage.
After that, add Unbound Ailments Support for a longer Poison Duration. Once you have more than 4 Links to work with, add both Void Manipulation Support and Vicious Projectiles Support to deal more damage!
Once you have a higher budget, upgrade these Support Gems to their awakened versions, which are: Awakened Vicious Projectiles Support, Awakened Void Manipulation Support, Awakened Unbound Ailments Support and Awakened Greater Multiple Projectiles Support.
Plague Bearer serves as an extra clear speed tool. Since it already scales off of your abilities damage, you can't support it with anything that gives it "more damage". All you can do is improve it's level with Empower Support or it's area with Increased Area of Effect Support.
Wither applies an incredibly strong, stacking debuff to an enemy, which can almost double your damage. This is your bread and butter in boss fights and needs to be up at all times against them.
You achieve this by putting the Wither spell on a Totem via Spell Totem Support. You then use Multiple Totems Support to summon up to 3 totems instead of 1. The finishing touch is the Faster Casting Support which lets the totems apply the Wither Stacks faster!
Shield Charge is your main Movement Skill. It scales off of your Attack and Movement Speed, so keep a good balance of those and you can rush through maps in no time! The Faster Attacks Support is there to help out with the Attack Speed part.
These do not have to be linked or even in the same item, they are just grouped to have an easier overview!
You use Determination and Grace as your main defensive auras. They provide you with Armour and Evasion, giving you formidable defensive layers.
The rest of your Mana Reservation goes towards Defiance Banner, which compliments your other 2 Auras.
Other Utility Gems
These do not have to be linked or even in the same item, they are just grouped to have an easier overview!
Molten Shell provides you a huge defensive shield that scales with the amount of Armour you have. It's an instant skill, so you can simply put it on your left-mouse (walk) and it activates whenever it's cooldown is up.
Blood Rage gives you extra Attack Speed and Frenzy Charges on kill. It applies a small Life Degeneration to yourself as a payoff, which is easy to handle with your Life Leech and Life Flasks.
Ancestral Protector serves as a small boost to your single target damage. While you are near the Totem, you gain a higher multiplier to your attack speed.
Withering Step grants you the Elusive Buff, which increases your Movement Speed and gives you a chance to avoid enemy hits. Whenever an enemy comes near us while we have this Buff up, it automatically gains an amount of Wither Stacks. This is helpful while mapping, since we won't summon our Wither-Totem all the time.
Skill Tree Progression
Cluster Jewel Setup
Key Build Information
Poisonous Concoction's Life Flask Scaling
Whenever you attack with Poisonous Concoction, you remove 2 Life Flask Charges, if possible. This makes you deal extra damage equal to a percentage of the Life that would've been recovered if the Life Flask in question was used. This means that the only stat that matters for you on your Life Flask is Increased Life recovered. An optimal Flask for this would look something like this: Saturated Divine Life Flask of the Cure.
This also means that Quality on your Life Flask matters A LOT! You can go up to 20% with Glassblower's Baubles.
Use Replenishing Remedies to combat the Flask charges that are being depleted.
Automating your Flasks for instant Life Recovery
Use Master Surgeon on this build, which gives you 6% of Life when you use a Flask. We can automate this Life Recovery using the following:
Take 3 Utility Flasks (Granite Flask, Jade Flask and Quicksilver Flask) with the Flagellant's Prefix, which gives you Gain 3 Charges when you are Hit by an Enemy. Then, enchant them with Used when Charges Reach Full.
This makes your Flasks fill up whenever you get hit and automatically activates them whenever they are full, making you recover 6% of Life from Master Surgeon. To make this more consistent, you scale the 3 Charges per hit to 4 by taking at least 33% increased Flask Charges Gained on your the Passive Tree.
The Item Progression in Path of Exile is not as rigid as in most other games. Unique Items can provide easy upgrades early, but overall your gear mostly consists of Rare Items. This means that flexibility is key. The game won't always give you exactly the item you are looking for, so you need to adapt. Even if small upgrades seem insignificant, the sum of them decides whether your character fails or succeeds.
If you want full context to everything, watch my fully detailed Video Guide on Youtube as well. It is linked at the end of the article! You can also check out my stream on twitch.tv/palsteron and ask me questions or simply hang out!
To make itemization less confusing, there are no Resistances on Rare Items anywhere. You can get them wherever you want and they do not have to be on specific items. Resistances are incredibly important though, DO NOT forget about them when choosing which items to craft or buy! Make sure to check your Resistances in your Character Sheet (C, Defense Tab) whenever you switch your gear around.
Path of Building
- The Poisonous Concoction Pathfinder is an incredible Allrounder Build that can take you through anything Path of Exile has to offer.
- This is the perfect build for a newer player trying to find a build to complete the acts and easy content with.
- You shoot Poisonous Flasks at your enemies, while having a damaging Poison Aura around you.
- The playstyle is very safe, since you can throw Flasks from afar if needed.
- This build excels at fast-paced activities such as Mapping or Heist.
Written by Palsteron.
Reviewed by Raxxanterax.