The Occultist is a very important vendor that can enchant your gear to change the stat rolls, imprint Legendary Aspects onto rare/legendary gear as well as craft Sigils which are required to open Nightmare Dungeons. The ability to extract and imprint Legendary Aspects allows your character to customize their powers and create incredibly powerful gear pieces. Whether you come across an Aspect on a random piece of gear, or farm specific Dungeons to fill out your Codex of Power, the Occultist is more than willing to imprint your gear in exchange for some coin.
All information in this article is from the Press Preview Access of Diablo 4. The content presented here is subject to change, and will be updated as we learn more.
You imprint an Aspect from the Codex of Power, or an extracted Legendary Aspect onto a rare/legendary item for a heavy fee. This turns a previously rare item into legendary and marks it as "Imprinted". Imprinted Aspects cannot be extracted, and imprinted items cannot be traded.
Aspects fall into one of 5 categories, and they can only be imprinted onto specific gear-slots. The categories and slots they can apply to are listed below:
- Defensive - Shield, Helm, Chest, Pants, Amulet
- Offensive - Amulet, Weapon, Gloves, Ring
- Resource - Helm, Amulet, Ring
- Utility - Shield, Helm, Chest, Amulet, Gloves, Ring
- Mobility - Amulet, Boot
Aspects also receive bonuses based on the gear slot you add them to. Amulets increase the power of the Aspect by 50% while 2-Handed weapons gain 100% bonus. To maximize your power, you need to map out your Aspects for each slot as you plan your character to get the best bonuses possible.
When you find a Legendary Aspect on a piece of gear you don't need, you can extract it at the Occultist for a steep Gold cost. This places the Aspect into your separate Aspect Inventory tab, where they're stored for future use. You can also move these Aspects to your Stash if you run out of space. Extracted Aspects show you the allowable item types they can apply to and any bonuses they may receive when imprinted on specific pieces.
While the information we have a very limited, Sigils are special consumable items that transform Dungeons into Nightmare Dungeons. The Sigil adds "Afflictions" to the Dungeon, potentially increasing the danger and rewards of running that Dungeon. While the specifics are unknown, we do have the crafting costs and requirements of each tier.
Our Dungeon Resource will include everything you need to know once it's available to us!
While we don't know exactly how this tab works, we can assume that if you create Sigils you don't want, you can salvage them for some portion of the material cost to recoup losses.
Enchanting allows you to reroll undesirable affixes on your gear, for a chance at better stats. Once a stat has been enchanted the item becomes account bound if it wasn't already and you can only attempt to reroll that specific stat in the future. This is a great way to turn a sub-par Legendary item into a GG gear piece because you may have 3/4 great Affixes but with enough materials and gold you can eventually have 4/4!
It's important to understand that certain affixes cannot roll together on the same item. Learning which stats can co-exist is crucial to not waste your materials wanting for a stat you cannot get. While enchanting, you are always given the option of two new stats and to not change anything if you don't like the new outcome. In the latter option, the cost is still applied and the affix is considered enchanted, but you can continue to roll until you find a good option.
Rare items require Veiled Crystals (gained from salvaging other rare items) and legendary items also require Fiend Rose.
- The Occultist is an incredibly important vendor for progressing your character's power. Imprinting Legendary Aspects add MASSIVE boosts to your damage and survivability.
- The Codex of Power gives you access to a specific list of imprintable Aspects to get you started. They always roll the lowest value, but are still worth the Gold cost.
- Extracting Legendary Aspects from gear allows you to select the best gear-slot to put it on once you have a good base. Aspects fall into different categories that can only be put on certain item types.
- Sigils can be crafted and salvaged at the Occultist. These open Nightmare Dungeons, and add "Afflictions".
- Enchanting your gear replaces a single affix with other affixes that share a similar pool of stats. Once you enchant an affix you can only reroll that stat moving forward.
Written by MacroBioBoi
Reviewed by Rob & wudijo
Article Created from the Press Release Version of Diablo 4.