The Gears of Dreadlands Hungering Arrow Demon Hunter has made its entry during Season 21 and immediately surged to the top of all builds in the game, especially in solo pushing. With its excellent mobility and damage it is an all-rounder for speed content.
In Season 23 (Patch 2.7.0), the build has been tweaked to bring down its top-end pushing and fishing potential by capping the pierces on The Ninth Cirri Satchel to 4 while buffing the (6) Bonus from 10,000% to 15,000% to compensate.
The build focuses on Strafe and Hungering Arrow to deal damage, which is done semi-automatically thanks to the (4) Bonus that will automatically fire your last used Primary whenever you hit an enemy with Strafe. This allows you to deal damage while moving. The (2) Bonus gives you a Momentum stacking Movement Speed and Damage buff. This bonus stacks up to a total of 160% Movement Speed letting you literally fly through the rifts while destroying everything in your path.
While it is possible to play with other Primary skills, they lack proper legendary support to be an effective choice. Bolas is the only real alternative for T16 and Greater Rifts around 5-7 tiers lower than Hungering Arrow. Entangling Shot can be used in a solo pushing variant to increase your damage output by weaving two different skills, but it is quite difficult to play. During Season 24, Ethereals and the astonishing Buriza-Do-Kyanon incredibly buffed the build, skyrocketing it back as one of the most effective choice to farm Speeds Greater Rifts. Yet even outside of seasonal buffs, the GoD DH remains a solid popular farming build.
This is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Hungering Arrows as well as all the procs from Gears of Dreadlands (4) Bonus can proc it. The build and gameplay itself are easy to learn, however when it comes to optimizing the setup especially in solo push, there are a lot of details and intricate interactions to consider (see Mechanics) in order to get the most out of it. Let's get into it!
Lots of Variants ✔
Strong Season Starter ✔
Top Solo Farming Build ✔
Fast and Smooth Gameplay ✔
❌ Complicated Mechanics
❌ Hits a Brick Wall in Pushing
❌ No Direct Targeting Possible
❌ Lacks Massive AoE Potential
- The Gears of Dreadlands set provides huge damage bonuses: x3 through the (2) Bonus, and x151 through the (6) Bonus, for a total of x453 damage with your Hungering Arrow. On top of that, the (4) Bonus can also be counted as roughly a x2-2.5 multiplier due to effectively providing hidden extra Attack Speed. Finally, the set gives you 60% damage reduction and up to 160% Movement Speed while using Strafe.
- The Ninth Cirri Satchel is the key item of the build, adding 100% pierce chance to Hungering Arrow (up to 4 times) as well as an up to 600% multiplicative damage increase.
- Hunter's Wrath is another high-value DPS item, providing a 30% Attack Speed bonus to your Primaries (which makes keeping up Momentum stacks easier) as well as another 200% multiplicative damage bonus.
- Dawn can be either worn or cubed, depending on what you find and the variation you play. It will help you to reach permanent Vengeance uptime.
- Depth Diggers provide another 100% multiplicative damage increase to Hungering Arrow.
- Wraps of Clarity add a valuable 50% damage reduction.
- As long as you are not using a Two-Handed Weapon, you can generally use a Quiver or a second Weapon interchangeably (while cubing the other). With perfect rolls on all your gear, dual wielding wins out by about 0.5%.
Season 27 Sanctified Items
Angelic Crucibles are new consumables that drop anywhere once you're Level 70. Using them on items reforges them into Sanctified Items with Primal Ancient stats, and adds one of three new unique Class Powers listed below. For full details on how they work, check out this Seasonal Guide by Chewingnom!
Let's look at our Class Powers and see how they apply to our build:
- The best power for us is the Sanctified Vengeance. It occasionally fires extra Rockets we can use to deal some damage to elites or bosses.
- The Sanctified Strafe power doesn't help us, so go for the one listed above.
- The Sanctified Cluster Arrow power doesn't help us, so go for the one at the top.
Since you can only equip one of them, choosing the right item to craft it on matters! Great candidates are Weapons, Offhands, Jewelry or any item with an important multiplier. With that in mind, we recommend Sanctifying one of the following items:
- The Ninth Cirri Satchel
- Hunter's Wrath
Global Stat Priorities
The most important for almost any DH build is reaching permanent Vengeance uptime. This is achievable through the 65% Cooldown Reduction effect provided by Dawn and having 37% Cooldown Reduction on your character. What you will always use is the Flawless Royal Diamond in your helmet slot, 10% from Paragon Points and 8% on your Shoulders. The rest will typically be rolled on your Weapons (especially if dual wielding), or your Gloves + Quiver (if using one Weapon). If you are wearing a Dawn and it has less than 64-63% on the legendary affix, you should consider adding a 4th Cooldown item to make up for it, as any lower will leave you with a significant gap.
This build uses specific Attack Speed Breakpoints for optimal damage output depending on your Weapon, due to the Gears of Dreadlands (4) Bonus (see Mechanics).
Aside from that, you want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Crit stats, Cold Damage, Hungering Arrow Damage, and lastly Area Damage in this order of priority. For your defensive stats you just need to focus on increasing the raw toughness value. Since almost all of your recovery is based on percentage-based healing from Simplicity's Strength there's no reason to prioritize mitigation over health pool. Physical Resistance is also extremely useful, as you will generally move very close to your enemies and most of the incoming damage will be of that type. Because of that, you should always use Flawless Royal Diamond in your Chest and Pants sockets.
- Put together the core items and acquire the full Gears of Dreadlands set.
- Reach the necessary Cooldown Reduction for permanent Vengeance (37% with a perfect Dawn).
- Get the Momentum buff to 20 and keep it above 17 at all times by using your Hungering Arrow.
- Use Strafe the rest of the time to move and deal damage.
- Activate your defensive and utility skills when necessary.
We hope you enjoyed this guide! Gears of Dreadlands is a great build for all kinds of purposes and skill levels, and if you're not familiar with it yet you are missing out on this powerhouse of a farmer!
Written by Northwar & wudijo.
Reviewed by Northwar & Raxxanterax.
Updated by wudijo.
Updated for Season 27 / Patch 2.7.4.
Updated for Season 26 / Patch 2.7.3. Adjusted Solo Push Setups.