Strengths And Weaknesses
Keep Corrupting Fever active at all times, the initial activation should be done at the start of each encounter. In the event Corrupting Fever expires reapply it immediately in a safe area or while a Life Flask is available to mitigate the cost.
Kinetic Blast is your primary method of applying Corrupting Fever to monsters. Due to the Lifetap Support it costs Life instead of Mana. Use it often and incrementally even outside of combat to keep Corrupting Fever active.
Utility And Auras
Keep all of your Aura Gems active at all times. These need to be reapplied after dying. Dash should be used whenever available to assist with movement. Blood Rage should be maintained at all times while mapping and situationally while killing Bosses.
Spellslinger is a Support Gem that causes linked Active Skill gems to function as an Aura that Reserves your Mana. Whenever using a wand attack it triggers the linked spell (in this case Exsanguinate). Keep Spellslinger active alongside your other Auras at all times so it triggers automatically.
Single Target Abilities
When battling high health enemies, cast and maintain Vulnerability so they take increased damage from your damage over time effects. Against tanky enemies swap from sand stance to blood stance. This can be achieved by toggling Blood and Sand.
When playing as the Corrupting Fever Gladiator your primary focus is to keep Corrupting Fever active at all times. Activating Corrupting Fever costs a significant portion of your Life and it should only be activated initially or refreshed when you are not in danger or have your Divine Life Flask available.
While you have Corrupting Fever active each hit from any source applies up to 10 stacks of Corrupted Blood to targets. Maintaining those stacks on all enemies is critical to dealing maximum damage.
When mapping as the Corrupting Fever Gladiator you must rely on your range as your primary form of defense. Keep your distance from monsters and use Kinetic Blast to mow down packs. Whenever taking on weaker monsters stay in Sand Stance to generate Challenger Charges.
When dealing with tougher enemies swap from Sand Stance to Blood Stance and maintain a safe distance from the target you're trying to take down. When dealing with tankier high threat targets always be on the move while maintaining 10 stacks of Corrupted Blood on the target. Make sure Vulnerability is maintained at all times on high Health enemies.
Leveling Section by tytykiller
This build is easy to level, provided that the player understands how to create a good leveling Weapon. Pasting this line, called a regex, into the Search Bar of Vendors selling Armors and Weapons when you go back to town, substantially speeds up leveling.
Your Weapon is your most important upgrade! Always keep your Two-Handed Weapon up to date within ~7 levels of yourself. Make sure your Weapon either has % Physical Damage or Flat Damage. Here is an example of a good Weapon at Level 23: Double Axe
When deciding between two weapons to use for your build, you may hover your mouse over your main skill gem (Splitting Steel early on) to see which of two weapon choices provides the highest DPS. Besides picking up an Axe and identifying it, our primary way of getting a weapon is from using an Essence that adds Flat Damage on Two-Handed Weapons, whether its Physical, Fire, Cold or Lightning Damage. This method has the highest probability to create a good Weapon, especially early on.
When this method does NOT work, we use the Rustic Sash Vendor Recipe. When you sell a Rare Rustic Sash with a Blacksmith's Whetstone and a Weapon, the Recipe produces a % Physical Damage Weapon back! You may then use an Orb of Augmentation and pray that you land Attack Speed, a Resistance or a different (hopefully useful) stat.
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
Act 1 - 10 Cheatsheet
Step 1: Level 2
- Kill Hillock. Talk to Tarkleigh and choose Splitting Steel as your reward.
- Splitting Steel gives a new skill called Call of Steel, which grants steel shards. Use Call of Steel to generate shards, cast Splitting Steel a handful of times to spend shards (if available), and then cast Call of Steel to finish enemies.
- Talk to Tarkleigh, click Purchase Items, and copy the following line:
- Paste it in the vendor window in-game and it will highlight four links, movement speed boots, and items with Green-Green-Red (GGR) sockets. This is called a regex filter, and is imperative to finding important items quickly!
- After this, complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Upon killing Hailrake, hit escape and press EXIT TO CHARACTER SELECT (or type /exit in chat). This saves you a Portal Scroll. Selecting a different log out option puts you in a queue on a league start. This "Return to Town" method is used many times in this guide.
Step 2: Level 4
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Quicksilver Flask and Onslaught Support.
- Talk to Nessa and Purchase War Banner.
- War Banner is our first aura. Activating it causes monster deaths to store 50 charges. When released, it gives us the Adrenaline buff for a huge damage boost. This is best used on magic packs, rare monsters, or large packs of regular monsters.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab: Ancestral Protector and Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Note: you only have to reach the Waypoint in Lower Prison to acquire a gem from the quest.
- Ideally you will have a Green-Green-Red (GGR) item for Splitting Steel - Onslaught Support - Chance to Bleed Support.
- If you only have a Green-Red then just link Splitting Steel to Chance to Bleed Support.
- Our rotation on packs is Call of Steel for 12 stacks of Steel Shards, Dash forward constantly, place Ancestral Protector on packs of monsters, and use Splitting Steel until the pack is low.
Step 3: Level 8
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town.
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Maim Support.
- Link Maim to Ancestral Protector if you have a Red-Red item.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex:
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- Two handed weapons are a substantial DPS increase and help tremendously on Brutus. The recommended weapons here are either a Longsword at 8, or a Jade Chopper at 9.
Step 4: Level 10
- After killing Brutus, return to town.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab Leap Slam. This replaces Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh, then paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests The Marooned Mariner and The Siren's Cadence.
- Note: you do not need to kill Merveil to acquire a gem from The Siren's Cadence.
Step 5: Level 12
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, purchase Spectral Helix from Nessa for 1 Orb of Transmutation, OR grab Shattering Steel for free.
- Spectral Helix is better, but many people dislike the playstyle of attacking twice and moving on. It is very comparable to the Hammerdin from Diablo II. A decent alternative to Spectral Helix is Shattering Steel, as it is better than Splitting Steel in almost every way.
- Talk to Bestel and grab the Passive Skillpoint, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
- Look for a Bastard Sword to use at level 12, or a Woodsplitter at level 13.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to nullify her Cold Damage. Kill Merveil and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on the Path of Exile Endgame. Priority 1 is to ensure your Elemental Resistances are capped (75%) and you have sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any items that are not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft Life and Resistances wherever possible according to what you need.
Recommended Farming Content
After completing the campaign the first step is to progress through the Atlas following our Atlas Progression Guide. As a mapping character, focus on the mechanics listed below depending on what level of content your character can complete. If you're struggling in higher tier content it is always recommended to step back and farm up more Currency and Gear. Clicking the League Mechanics below takes you to either a full Explanation Guide or a detailed Currency Farming Guide based around maximising your profits from that mechanic or content.
Always re-roll or avoid running the following modifiers when they appear on your maps.
- Monsters reflect x% of physical damage
Consider re-rolling or avoiding the following modifiers when they appear on maps:
- x% Monster physical damage Reduction
- Players have x% reduced effect of Non-Curse Auras from skills
Mid Game Gem Setup
In the Mid Game you'll acquire your 6 link which should be used to beef up your Kinetic Blast utility. Due to the steep cost associated with including additional links on Corrupting Fever and Exsanguinate it is our only option.
Before you can reserve Determination you will need to level your Spellslinger gem to level 16, ensure you have all aura reservation nodes listed, Charisma annointed and Conqueror's Efficiency Socketed. Use Determination in place of Herald of Purity until End Game.
End Game Gem Setup
After purchasing a Vulnerability on Hit Ring replace your Vulnerability Skill Gem with Molten Shell. Adjust your sockets to include Cast when Damage Taken Support.
In the end game after acquiring an Eldritch Helmet you can reserve Herald of Purity at the same time as Determination. This change requires re-organizing your links in order to facilitate this swap.
Skill Tree Progression
Levelling to Early/Mid Game Tree Swap should be performed as soon as you have been able to transition from the levelling setup supplied in the campaign walkthrough over to corrupting fever. Removing the extra points on your tree used for the melee portion of levelling allows you to re-allocate the points into more damage or defense.
Transition To Endgame Tree should be completed as soon as the last Mid Game milestone has been completed, remember to allocate the required skill points necessary for Inspired Learning to function if you purchase it.
Large Stat Nodes can and should be picked up as you need them to level up your Skill Gems or equip gear, the final end game tree accounts for them so don't be afraid to spend a couple passive points picking up +30 intelligence or dexterity while progressing.
Cluster Jewel Sockets on the edge of the passive tree should only be allocated after you have acquired the jewels to socket within them. After socketing clusters ensure you allocate all points needed to fully unlock all jewel sockets and relevant notable passive nodes.
Path of Building
For users of Path of Building you can use view the build in it's finished state using the Pastebin below:
Upon completing this guide you will have an outstanding mapper capable of farming some of the most profitable mapping content in the game. This currency can be used to reroll into another even more powerful end game focused character.
Written by Grimro.
Reviewed by Raxxanterax.
Build Updated for Patch 3.19
Build Guide Created.