Diablo 4 is a multiplayer open world game, you can invite other players to your party to team up against the forces of evil. Grouping up has many benefits, such as increasing your experience gained and (hopefully) increasing content clear-speed to get more loot per hour!
How to join a Party?
You can directly group up with your Battle.net friends by hovering their name and either inviting them to your party or requesting to join their party. If you meet a player in the vast Open World, follow these steps:
- Hover over the player with your mouse or get close to them when playing Diablo 4 on console/controller.
- Hit the action wheel and click "Invite to Party", or click the directional button indicator floating near them.
- The other player receives a request to group up. When they accept the request, they are now a part of your party.
- The game prompts them to "Join that player's instance." of the world. This set's the world state to the group leader's.
The life and damage done by monsters in the Open World does not scale with the amount of players. However, the life and damage done by Monsters in Dungeons (instances with a maximum of 4 players) scales up with the number of party members.
- There can only be up to 4 party members in the same party.
- There is one party leader that can add or remove other players. Players can choose to leave a party at any time.
- The State of your Open World State & quest progression depends on the party leader. This includes completed Strongholds etc.
- There is a separate in-game party chat to communicate.
- Buffs from skills like War Cry benefit party members as well as non allied players nearby in the Open World.
If a party member dies, they turn into an ethereal spirit and have 2 options:
- Spawn at the latest checkpoint by clicking the "Revive at Checkpoint" button.
- Get revived by a party member by clicking the gravestone. This process takes around 3 seconds and can be sped up with multiple members reviving the same fallen players. This can be interrupted by the SECOND attack received from a monster, and then any subsequent attacks.
- Once a player gets revived, they are in an invulnerable ghost state until moving or casting a skill.
There is no known cap on how often players can be revived.
Loot is personal and has a high chance to be specific to your character, via the Smart Loot system. Don't worry, no one can steal your Legendaries. After picking up the loot however, you can then trade or gift it to other party members or players. No loot is bound to a specific party. Here is an overview of items that can and Cannot be Traded. There seems to be no Magic Find bonus or additional loot drops while in a party.
Can be Traded
- Common Items
- Magic Items
- Rare Items
Cannot be Traded
- Legendary Items & Aspects
- Unique Items
- Enchanted Items
- All other currencies but Gold
- Quest Items
When a monster dies in Diablo 4 its level is compared to your level and you are rewarded a certain amount of experience. This does not change in parties. No matter if you or your allies kill a monster, you always get the experience suited to your level and the monster's level. BUT you do gain bonus XP from other players within your vicinity. This bonus is increased IF you're grouped with the players.
- x5% experience bonus for any players within 1 screen of you.
- x10% experience bonus for any PARTIED players within 1 screen of you.
How To Find Party Members
As of now there are no automated group finder tools or systems in the game, however players have a variety of options:
Battle.net Friend list
You might know a few people from other Blizzard games. Use your battle.net friend list to group up!
Next to your friends list, there is also a local player system in Diablo 4 allowing you to connect with players around you.
There are different in-game chats that can be used. Try linking up with another player after a successful trade or while hanging out in a major city!
The Clan System in Diablo 4 is another great tool to connect with your friends and organize groups.
Discord, Streamer Communities, Forums or other Applications
There are many more options out there. We have a dedicated Diablo 4 Channel in our Discord that also includes a LFG channel on launch. Stay tuned!
- Group up with other players using the Action Wheel.
- Do not worry about other players taking your loot. It is all personal and some of it can be traded and shared with your friends.
- Whenever you can, group up with friends and socialize with other players in the Open World. It's much more fun slaying demons together while getting nice party only bonuses such as additional experience!
Updated and Maintained by MacroBioBoi
Originally Written by Rob
Reviewed by Raxxanterax
- 30 May 2023
Updated for Launch
- 21 March 2023
Updated for the Early Access Open Beta
- 7 December 2022
Article Created from the Press Release Version of Diablo 4.