The Purveyor of Curiosities is your one-stop gambling shop in Diablo 4! Here you can use Obols as currency to acquire items for a piece of equipment of your choice. This currency is often rewarded from Local Events and inside Dungeons when you happen upon a Cursed Object event.
While you can select the gear slot, what rarity of item you get is completely random. Items can come in common, magic, rare or legendary rarity. Save up those Obols and when you're ready, try to hit it big at this vendor!
How To Get Obols
Obols are a special reward you receive from completing many of the special Events and tasks in Sanctuary. You can have a maximum of 500 Obols to start, leaving any extra you come across to waste. With the new Renown and Altar of Lillith rewards, you can increase the maximum number of Obols beyond this. Make sure to spend your Obols whenever you're approaching the limit.
Here is a list of the events so far that can reward Obols:
- Cursed Object Event in Dungeons
- Completing Quests with a Cache reward
- Completing Local Events with Mastery
- Gathering Legions Zone Events
What You Can Buy With Obols
Purveyor of Curiosities gambling can get you powerful rare, and legendary items for the small price of a few Obols. The item power scales with your character's level. You can also purchase Whispering Keys which unlock Silent Chests found in the open world. Any useless items you get can be sold for Gold or salvaged at the Blacksmith to recoup some of your losses.
The cost of each Gear slot is listed below:
- Axe - 50
- Sword - 50
- Bow - 75
- Crossbow - 75
- Mace - 50
- Two-Handed Axe - 75
- Two-Handed Sword - 75
- Two-Handed Hammer - 75
- Polearm - 75
- Focus - 40
- Totem - 40
- Wand - 50
- Staff - 75
- Cap - 40
- Tunic - 40
- Gloves - 40
- Boots - 40
- Pants - 40
- Shield - 40
- Ring - 60
- Amulet - 60
- Whispering Key - 20
The glowing indicator seen above the Cap, Tunic and Gloves was a bug that was mis-attributed to increased rates of Ancestral and Sacred. This was a visual bug and was not meant to indicate anything and was patched out June 27th 2023.
Target Farming Aspects
The ability to "Target Farm" a specific Aspect refers to gambling for the most efficient item base, that can have the type of Aspect you need for your build. Since each item type can only support certain Aspect types, and taking into account the relative cost, you can greatly increase the efficiency of your Obols spending.
There are x things you need to consider:
- What item types can your Aspect generate on?
- How expensive are the different options for that item type?
- Do you need a good base item as well? Is it worth it to kill two birds with one stone?
Item - Aspect Type
- Axe - Offensive
- Sword - Offensive
- Bow - Offensive
- Crossbow - Offensive
- Mace - Offensive
- Two-Handed Axe - Offensive
- Two-Handed Sword - Offensive
- Two-Handed Hammer - Offensive
- Polearm - Offensive
- Focus - Offensive
- Totem - Offensive
Item - Aspect Type
- Wand - Offensive
- Staff - Offensive
- Cap - Defensive, Utility
- Tunic - Defensive, Utility
- Gloves - Offensive, Utility
- Boots - Mobility, Utility
- Pants - Defensive
- Shield - Defensive, Utility
- Ring - Offensive, Resource
- Amulet - Offensive, Utility, Mobility, Defensive
If we take the example of Aspect of the Umbral, that is a Resource Aspect that can only roll on Rings. So you don't really have an option, but at least you can gamble for the proper item type. A more nuanced example is Edgemaster’s Aspect. This is an Offensive Aspect so we want to gamble Weapons since they can only roll Offensive Aspects. But which Weapon do you gamble for? If you only need the Aspect, always shop for the cheapest version. For the Necromancer, this is the Focus.
- The Purveyor of Curiosities is the only Vendor that accepts Obols, a rare currency that allows you to gamble for any gear slot your character has.
- Obols drop from special challenges in Dungeons as well as in Local and Zone Events. You can only have 500 to start, make sure to spend them before adventuring if you're approaching the limit. The Renown and Altar of Lillith rewards can increase this amount.
- Obols can also purchase Whispering Keys which unlock Silent Chests found randomly throughout the over-world.
- The item power of gambled items scales with your character level.
- Different Aspect types can only show up on specific item types. Shop for the cheapest item type possible to get the most chances at rolling your Aspect.
Written by MacroBioBoi
Reviewed by Rob & wudijo