Alterations, Augments and Regals are Basic Currency, also known as Functional Currency. Meaning, while they possess their own economic value (similar to gold in Diablo), pretty much every type of Currency in Path of Exile also serves a direct purpose and can be used in most cases for its intended use. For example, an Orb of Alteration reforges a Magic item while a Chaos Orb reforges a Rare item but both are also used as currency when trading with other players.
The three Basic Currency this guide covers are:
- Orb of Alteration
- Orb of Augmentation
- Regal Orb
While these specific Currency aren't heavily used in most crafts, they are necessary for crafting Flasks, Jewels, and in other niche methods.
Orb of Alteration
When an Orb of Alteration is consumed it reforges a Magic item with new modifiers. Some items like Flasks can only be Magic and are a perfect use for Orbs of Alteration
An Orb of Alteration is only usable on Magic items. Therefore, a Normal item must first be upgraded to Magic using an Orb of Transmutation if it isn't already.
Since Orbs of Alteration are significantly cheaper than currency like Chaos Orbs, they are commonly paired with Orbs of Augmentation, and Regal Orbs when less than four specific Affixes are desired.
Crafting on items like a Granite Flask or a Cobalt Jewel are examples of targeting a low number of mods.
Orb of Augmentation
An Orb of Augmentation adds a modifier to a Magic item. Since Magic items can't have more than 1 Prefix and 1 Suffix, an Orb of Augmentation can only be used when there is space. The usual way to go about this is using Orbs of Alteration until you hit one of the mods you want along with an open space for another. Then, use an Orb of Augmentation to potentially add a second.
- For example: Flagellant's Quicksilver Flask of the Cheetah
- Since Gain 3 Charges when you are Hit by an Enemy and 14% increased Movement Speed during Flask effect are both amazing mods, Augs are used to craft this type of flask. Orbs of Alteration are used until you hit a good modifier with space for another, then an Orb of Augmentation is used.
A Regal Orb upgrades a Magic item to Rare while also adding a new mod. In cases where less than four modifiers are desired, Regal Orbs play an important role.
- Regals are usually paired with Alts and Augs to target 3 desired modifiers.
- Keep in mind, Regals can't be used on items like Flasks since they cannot be Rare and are limited to 2 mods.
Jewels are a good example:
- Afterward, a Regal was consumed to potentially add a third desired affix.
- In the case of this Jewel, "(6-8)% increased Attack Speed with Bows" was added.
- Exalted Orbs offer a relatively cheap opportunity to slam a fourth desired mod on Jewels specifically.
Example 1: "Charge When Hit" Flasks
Let's cover using Orb of Alteration and Orb of Augmentation together.
Crafting Flasks is the most common use for Orb of Alteration and Orb of Augmentation, especially early league.
Here is an example of an early flask setup:
- Seething Divine Life Flask of Sealing
- Masochist's Granite Flask of the Abalone
- Masochist's Quartz Flask of the Mockingbird
- Transgressor's Jade Flask of the Gazelle
- Flagellant's Quicksilver Flask of the Cheetah
Notice the Prefix Gain # Charges when you are Hit by an Enemy Prefix on every Utility Flask in the setup. This Prefix is generally the best way for most builds to maintain high Flask uptime while mapping.
- Since Item Level affects mod tiers on Flasks just like it would regular items, players generally aim for a level of 80 or higher so all 3 tiers of the desired Prefix are obtainable.
- Since you are able to roll all three tiers, this makes it a lot easier to craft.
The crafting process is simple:
- If the Flask is not already Magic, an Orb of Transmutation is used to upgrade the rarity.
Example 2: Explosive Arrow Jewels
For our second example let's use Alts, Augs, and Regals all together.
- Example: Phoenix Curio Viridian Jewel
- "(5-7)% increased maximum Life" is the most impactful mod, followed by "(6-8)% to Fire Damage over Time Multiplier" and "(6-8)% increased Attack Speed with Bows."
You can apply the process for this craft to really any Jewel.
- As with most, we are aiming for at least 3 good modifiers.
- The type of Jewel is important. Generally, for Explosive Arrow Ballista builds a Viridian Jewel is used since "(6-8)% increased Attack Speed with Bows" is a mod native only to this base. Limitations apply for a lot of different mods so be sure to use the right Base depending on your build.
Process for Phoenix Curio Viridian Jewel:
As mentioned earlier, an Exalted Orb can be used after achieving 3 desired modifiers to potentially add a fourth.
- While Alts, Augs, and Regals are used as monetary units when trading, they also serve a functional purpose in crafting.
- When an Orb of Alteration is consumed it reforges a Magic item with new modifiers. It can only be used on Magic items.
- An Orb of Augmentation adds a modifier to a Magic item.
- A Regal Orb upgrades a Magic item to Rare while also adding a new mod.
Written by spicysushi
Reviewed by Facefoot, Grimro
Published for 3.20 The Forbidden Sanctum Patch