Eldritch Crafting was first introduced to Path of Exile with the Siege of the Atlas expansion. Eldritch Currency are modified versions of Basic Currency that offer a deterministic way to craft non-influenced armor. Due to their rarity and high cost, these are mainly used for high-end crafting.
The three currency used in Eldritch Crafting are:
- Eldritch Exalted Orb
- Eldritch Orb of Annulment
- Eldritch Chaos Orb
These drop from monsters influenced by the Eldritch Horrors, or from the bosses themselves.
To use Eldritch Currency, the item must have an Eldritch Implicit first. It is highly recommended to read the Eldritch Implicit Guide before continuing.
- Eldritch implicits are added through using Embers and Ichors such as Lesser Eldritch Ichor or Lesser Eldritch Ember.
- Can only be added to Helmets, Gloves, Boots, and Body Armour.
- Can only be added to an armor that has no Influence.
- Eldritch Implicits can be added to a Fractured item but not a Synthesized item.
- A complete list of these implicits can be found here on poedb.
Eldritch Currency modifies the Prefixes or Suffixes of an item depending on which Implicit modifier is Dominant. Dominance refers to the Eldritch Implicit mod of the highest tier (typically from the strongest Ember/Ichor used).
- There are six tiers to Eldritch Implicits; with Perfect being the highest and Lesser being the lowest.
- The first 4 tiers are possible with their respective Embers/Ichors while the 2 highest tiers are achieved with Orbs of Conflict.
- If both mods are the same tier (e.g. both mods are Lesser), neither modifier is Dominant.
More information on Dominance can be found in the Eldritch Implicit Guide.
Eldritch Exalted Orb
An Eldritch Exalted Orb adds either a Suffix or Prefix to an item, depending on the Dominant implicit.
- Modified version of an Exalted Orb.
- If Exarch is Dominant, a Prefix is added. If Eater is Dominant, a Suffix is added.
- The item must be Rare.
- An expensive way to deterministically target a specific modifier on non-influenced armor.
- Generally paired with Eldritch Orbs of Annulment.
Example High-ES Vaal Regalia
Since this is a high-Energy Shield chest craft, +(25-35) to Maximum Life is first Benchcrafted to prevent it from being added with the Eldritch Exalted Orb. This technique is called mod-blocking.
The Vaal Regalia is Searing Exarch Dominant so a Prefix will be slammed.
As mentioned, since the highest tier implicit is a Searing Exarch modifier, a Prefix is added instead of a Suffix.
In an ideal scenario, a good mod like tier 2+ #% increased Energy Shield is slammed with the Eldritch Exalted Orb.
If Exalted Orbs are cheaper than Eldritch Exalted Orbs, they should be used instead in cases where the non-Dominant mod group is filled (like this craft).
Eldritch Orb of Annulment
Opposite to Eldritch Exalted Orbs, an Eldritch Orb of Annulment removes either a Suffix or Prefix, depending on the Dominant Implicit modifier.
- Modified version of an Orb of Annulment.
- If Exarch is Dominant, a Prefix is removed. If Eater is Dominant, a Suffix is removed.
- The item must be Rare.
- Fractured modifiers cannot be removed.
- Typically paired with Eldritch Exalted Orb when targeting specific modifiers.
Let's say in step 2 of the earlier craft, +(35-39) to maximum Mana was slammed instead of a desired modifier. An Eldritch Exalted Orb can add any modifier within the pool so this happens a lot.
First, +15 to Maximum Life is removed with the Remove Crafted Modifiers benchcraft. This is much cheaper than potentially wasting an Eldritch Orb of Annulment.
Next, an Eldritch Orb of Annulment is used to remove the +35 to Maximum Mana. Since the item is Exarch-Dominant, none of the Suffixes are at risk of being deleted.
Since +100 to maximum Energy Shield is a Prefix, it is at risk of being deleted. As you can see, this is one of the very expensive risks in high-end crafting.
This is an expensive process since you'd usually repeat this cycle until you hit a desired modifier and then possibly even go for a second mod in this case.
Eldritch Chaos Orb
An Eldritch Chaos Orb is a Modified version of a Chaos Orb that reforges the Prefixes or Suffixes of an item depending on the Dominant Implicit modifier.
The item must be Rare.
- When a specific affix-group is rerolled, 1-2 modifiers are added and sometimes 3.
- If a Fractured modifier is present on the Dominant side, it is counted as 1 mod so usually none are added when the orb is used.
- Typically less time-consuming but more expensive than cycling between Eldritch Exalted Orbs/Eldritch Orbs of Annulment with mod-blocking.
A Lesser Eldritch Ichor is used to apply Eater Dominance so that an Eldritch Chaos Orb rerolls the Suffixes.
In this case, +12% Chance to Suppress Spell Damage and +20% to Lightning Resistance were added with the reroll.
Unless Eldritch Exalted Orbs/Eldritch Orbs of Annulment are in low supply, they are generally much cheaper to craft with than Eldritch Chaos Orbs since mod-blocking can be utilized.
- Eldritch Currency are modified versions of Basic Currency that offer an incredibly expensive but deterministic way to craft non-influenced armor.
- In order to craft with Eldritch Currency, the armor must have an Eldritch Implicit. It is recommended to read the full Maxroll guide here.
- Eldritch Currency modifies the Prefixes or Suffixes of an item depending on which Implicit modifier is Dominant. Dominance refers to the Eldritch Implicit mod of the highest tier.
- An Eldritch Exalted Orb adds either a Suffix or Prefix to an item, depending on the Dominant implicit.
- Opposite to Eldritch Exalted Orbs, an Eldritch Orb of Annulment removes either a Suffix or Prefix, depending on the Dominant Implicit modifier.
- An Eldritch Chaos Orb is a Modified version of a Chaos Orb that reforges the Prefixes or Suffixes of an item depending on the Dominant Implicit modifier.
Written by spicysushi
Reviewed by Facefoot, mbXtreme