Strengths and Weaknesses
Jump around smashing Boneshatter into juicy enemy packs dealing explosions of Physical Damage. Release a damaging pulse when you Stun enemies, destroying packs as soon as you start mapping. Hitting an enemy gives you Trauma Stacks. Each stack gives x% more Damage per Trauma, but also deals Physical Damage to you per Trauma Stack. Slayer Leech keeps your Life topped off, allowing you to mostly ignore the Trauma Damage.
Unleash the Rage inside you with Berserk to become near unstoppable. Your muscles expand with fury giving more Damage, Attack Speed, and Movement Speed. Your Rage flows through your veins, hardening your muscles and making you take less damage.
Utility And Auras
Keep all of your Aura gems active at all times and re-activate them after death. Molten Shell activates a shield. Leap Slam is our main movement ability that stuns monsters when you land on them. Determination gives a large amount of Armour to protect against our Trauma Stack damage. Pride makes enemies near us take increased Physical Damage.
Warlord's Mark is automatically cast on enemies when linked to Cast when Damage Taken Support. This causes Hits against Enemies to have x% chance to double Stun Duration, enemies killed to generate Endurance Charges and gives us Rage Regeneration to use Berserk.
Ancestral Protector and Ancestral Warchief give us the strength and protection of those who've fallen before us. Throw down these totems obtaining buffs to deal more Melee Damage and have more Attack Speed.
When playing as the Boneshatter Slayer, jump around danger with Leap Slam. Use Boneshatter to obliterate anything in your way, calling your Ancestral power and dumping your Rage unto anything lasting more than a few smacks to the skull.
When mapping as the Boneshatter Slayer, jump between packs of monsters with Leap Slam to stun them. Then use Boneshatter to obliterate the pack, with longer stun durations giving larger Area explosions. Attacking causes Trauma to stack up, making you take damage. We use this damage taken to our advantage to proc a Cast when Damage Taken Support that triggers Warlord's Mark giving you Rage. Dump this Rage with Berserk for big gains in character size, damage and speed.
Bosses don't go down easily, so throw down Ancestral Protector, Ancestral Warchief and unleash the beast with Berserk. If the boss is not stunned by your initial onslaught, continue the assault to gain Trauma ramping and Leeching. Once the boss has 20% Life remaining, Headsman will instantly Cull the boss.
Leveling Section by tytykiller
Key Leveling Notes
This build is easy to level, provided that the player understands how to create a good leveling Weapon. Pasting this line, called a regex, into the Search Bar of Vendors selling Armors and Weapons when you go back to town, substantially speeds up leveling.
Your Weapon is your most important upgrade! Always keep your Two-Handed Weapon up to date within ~7 levels of yourself. Make sure your Weapon either has % Physical Damage or Flat Damage. Here is an example of a good Weapon at Level 23: Double Axe
Besides picking up an Axe and identifying it, our primary way of getting a weapon will be from using an Essence that adds Flat Damage on Two-Handed Weapons, whether its Physical, Fire, Cold or Lightning Damage. This method has the highest probability to create a good Weapon, especially early on.
When this method does NOT work, we use the Rustic Sash Vendor Recipe. When you sell a Rare Rustic Sash with a Blacksmith's Whetstone and a Weapon, the Recipe produces a % Physical Damage Weapon back! You may then use an Orb of Augmentation and pray that you land Attack Speed, a Resistance or a different (hopefully useful) stat.
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
Act 1 - 10 Cheatsheet
Step 1: Level 2
- Kill Hillock. Talk to Tarkleigh and choose Splitting Steel as your reward.
- Splitting Steel gives a new skill called Call of Steel, which grants steel shards. Use Call of Steel to generate shards, cast Splitting Steel a handful of times to spend shards (if available), and then cast Call of Steel to finish enemies. Link this with Chance to Bleed Support for now.
- Talk to Tarkleigh, click Purchase Items, and copy the line:
- Paste it in the vendor window in-game and it will highlight four links, movement speed boots, and items with Green-Green-Red (GGR) sockets. This is called a regex filter, and is imperative to finding important items quickly!
- After this, complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Upon killing Hailrake, hit escape and press EXIT TO CHARACTER SELECT (or type /exit in chat). This saves you a Portal Scroll. Selecting a different log out option puts you in a queue on a league start. This "Return to Town" method is used many times in this guide.
Step 2: Level 4
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Quicksilver Flask and Onslaught Support.
- Talk to Nessa and Purchase War Banner.
- War Banner is our first aura. Activating it causes monster deaths to store 50 charges. When released, it gives us the Adrenaline buff for a huge damage boost. This is best used on magic packs, rare monsters, or large packs of regular monsters.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab: Ancestral Protector and Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Note: you only have to reach the Waypoint in Lower Prison to acquire a gem from the quest.
- Ideally you will have a Green-Green-Red (GGR) item for Splitting Steel - Onslaught Support - Chance to Bleed Support.
- If you only have a Green-Red then just link Splitting Steel to Chance to Bleed Support.
- Our rotation on packs is Call of Steel for 12 stacks of Steel Shards, Dash forward constantly, place Ancestral Protector on packs of monsters, and use Splitting Steel until the pack is low.
Step 3: Level 8
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town.
- Talk to Nessa and grab: Maim Support.
- Link Maim to Ancestral Protector if you have a Red-Red item.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh and paste in the regex:
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- Two handed weapons are a substantial DPS increase and help tremendously on Brutus. The recommended weapons here are either a Longsword at 8, or a Jade Chopper at 9.
Step 4: Level 10
- After killing Brutus, return to town.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab Leap Slam. This replaces Dash.
- Click Purchase Items from Tarkleigh, then paste in the regex:
- Complete the quests The Marooned Mariner and The Siren's Cadence.
- Note: you do not need to kill Merveil to acquire a gem from The Siren's Cadence.
Step 5: Level 12
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, purchase Spectral Helix from Nessa for 1 Orb of Transmutation, OR grab Shattering Steel for free.
- Spectral Helix is better, but many people dislike the playstyle of attacking twice and moving on. It is very comparable to the Hammerdin from Diablo II. A decent alternative to Spectral Helix is Shattering Steel, as it is better than Splitting Steel in almost every way.
- Talk to Bestel and grab the Passive Skillpoint, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
- Look for a Bastard Sword to use at level 12, or a Woodsplitter at level 13.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to nullify her Cold Damage. Kill Merveil and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on the Path of Exile Endgame. Priority 1 is to ensure your Elemental Resistances are capped (75%) and have sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any item that is not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft Resistances wherever possible according to what you need, and Life wherever else possible.
On league start, Heisting and doing the Chaos Orb recipe is a great and easy way to obtain currency. From this point on, grind your Atlas out by progressing and completing Maps. Make sure to buy or craft Weapon upgrades to maintain your skull bashing potential.
Take note of the below modifiers, as they should be avoided if they appear on your maps:
- Less Armour and Block Chance reduces your main defences.
- Reduced Effect Of Auras eliminate our defences and our Accuracy.
- Cannot Leech removes the only recovery source we have.
- Monsters cannot be Stunned stops our area explosions based on Stun duration.
- -X% maximum Player Resistances makes you take too much extra Elemental damage.
Recommended Farming Content
First step is to progress through the Atlas following our Atlas Progression Guide. As a mapping focused character, you should focus gearing your character with strong pieces to prepare yourself to tackle non-Uber bosses and Red Maps. If you're struggling in higher tier content, go a step back and farm up more Currency and Gear. The endgame section below will take you to a detailed Farming Guide based around maximizing your profits from that mechanic or content.
Bone Zone Setup
Boneshatter is our main damage ability. Link Melee Physical Damage Support,Ruthless Support and Brutality Support for pure damage. Fortify Support gives Fortification stacks which are a temporary buff that stacks up to 20 times and gives 1% less damage taken per stack. Close Combat Support gives more Melee Damage to close enemies and 20% more Attack Speed to Travel Skills Not Supported by Close Combat, making this great for early map blasting.
Once you obtain a good Mace, swap Close Combat Support for Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support to Stun monsters easier and generate Endurance Charges when you stun.
Utility and Movement
Using Berserk drains your Rage to provide a temporary boost in Damage, Attack and Movement Speed and Character Size. Use it anytime you have Rage while mapping, making sure to save at least 20 Rage for the boss. Ancestral Cry gives you extra Armour and copies your Attack to Additional Enemies. Blood Rage is a temporary buff providing Attack Speed, Leech and Frenzy Charges on Kill.
Your primary movement ability is Leap Slam linked with Faster Attacks Support to make your leaps quicker and Lifetap Support to make them cost Life instead of Mana. The secondary movement ability is Frostblink to provide Instant movement and to leave Chilling ground on bosses.
Ancestral Protector and Ancestral Warchief are to be put down on tough enemies. Make sure to use them before starting a boss fight, as they provide a lot of more Melee Damage and more Attack Speed. Link Maim Support and Multiple Totems Support to these totems to deal increased Physical Damage against targets they maim and to be able to put both down, simultaneously.
Utility and Auras
Use Determination to mitigate Physical Damage. War Banner makes nearby enemies take increased Physical Damage gives Accuracy, and will gain stages up to 50 for every kill. Press War Banner on high HP monsters to release it's stages and give you a huge damage boost. Pride makes Nearby Enemies take more Physical Damage.
Link Molten Shell and Warlord's Mark to a Level 1 Cast when Damage Taken Support to have them proc off your Trauma damage all the time.
After you swap to the Mid Game tree using Precise Technique, make sure to use Precision linked with Arrogance Support. This makes your Aura cost Life to reserve instead of Mana, but it's only a small amount. We need more Accuracy than Life for Precise Technique, so don't forget this!
The Endgame Gems are Awakened and Alternate Quality versions. They are explained in Anomalous Gems Endgame Milestones. Most are just damage and Armour upgrades of the original versions.
Skill Tree Progression
Precise Technique is a Keystone that provides 40% More Damage if your Accuracy is higher than your Life at the cost of not being able to Critical Strike. This is a great trade since investing into Critical Strike Chance is too difficult early on, but picking up Accuracy on gear is easy. Before swapping to Maces make sure to have T2+ Accuracy rolls on 3 pieces of gear and to make sure your total Accuracy is higher than your Life. The easiest way to obtain this is Harvest Reforge Attack on Rings, Gloves, Helmets and Amulets.
Path of Buildings
IMPORTANT! The POB's have multiple Trees, Gear and Gem sets. Make sure to swap ALL.
You NEED the community fork of POB for these to work! https://pathofbuilding.community/
Leveling and Early Game - https://pobb.in/FpVk8r9KqkyU
Mid Game - https://pobb.in/lTCn-BaD0oaL
End Game - https://pobb.in/Nfwg97IJRby8
Boneshatter Slayer is an easy to setup build and is SSF viable. Jump around, explode packs and have a blast. The gearing is simple and once you finish the End Game Milestones you're all set for completing any non-Uber content you'd want, and are a fully fledged member of the big bone(r) club.
Make sure to thank cArn_ for helping us get into the BoneZone.
If you have any questions, come ask them on my livestream Twitch.tv/TriPolarBear
If you're looking for what to farm for more Currency, check out our Currency section!
Written by Tripolarbear.
Reviewed by MacroBioBoi and Echohack.
Grammar and Spelling fixes.