Heorot is a multi-phase fight that tests players' anticipation, mobility and sustain. He has several high damage skills, minions, and CC that serve as both a gear and skill check.
In this guide, we cover the rewards, boss mechanics, and provide a strategy for defeating this boss.
For more information on the Timeline this boss is found in check out The Age of Winter Timeline Guide.
All timeline bosses have a pool of exclusive Uniques that can drop. They also provide the player with a Blessing, which is a permanent buff to either power or farming/leveling efficiency. Just like Uniques, each boss has their own exclusive Blessing pool.
Heorot can drop 4 different Uniques:
- Call of the Tundra has a 50% chance to drop. It is mutually exclusive to Reign of Winter, meaning you always get one or the other, but not both. It can drop from both normal and empowered versions. The drop rate is not affected by corruption.
- Reign of Winter has a 50% chance to drop. It is mutually exclusive to Call of the Tundra, meaning you always get one or the other, but not both. It can drop from both regular and Empowered versions. The drop rate is not affected by corruption.
- Yulia's Path is a rare drop. The drop rate is increased by higher Corruption. We recommend farming this on Empowered.
- Faith of the Frozen is a rare drop that can only be found in Empowered. Increases in Corruption improves the drop rate of this item.
See the Monolith Beginner Guide for more info on Corruption.
The Blessings of this Timeline are themed around Physical, Cold, and Defense. Some generally useful choices are: Bulwark of the Tundra, Protection of Heorot, and Resolve of Grael.
When you go into a timeline boss fight, you carry any modifiers that are active from running echoes. Some of these modifiers can be especially dangerous, while some can actually bring value with little or no downside.
Avoid These Modifiers
Take These Modifiers
Heorot is technically a single phase fight. He has two short periods of immunity with add spawns, but there are no arena changes and his overall skill set remains largely the same. Damage is mostly Cold with some Physical so make sure to cap both Resistances. Heorot has two attack combos (Frosted Eruption with Frozen Orb and Charge with Blizzard) that are the cause of most of the deaths in this fight. Here are some general strategies:
- For the first quarter of the fight be ready to hide behind the pillars created by Frosted Eruption. The pillars block the shrapnel from Frozen Orb, which Heorot casts immediately after creating the pillars. Once he reaches 75% HP he no longer uses Frozen Orb.
- AT 75% HP Heorot casts Blizzard. For the rest of the fight there is an aura around Heorot that forces players to stand within close proximity of him or take very high Cold Damage and Cold Shred. This is usually not a problem, but Heorot can also use Charge which can quickly send him more than a screen away placing players inside the Blizzard. There are two strategies to deal with this: 1) have a movement ability ready, or 2) try to position Heorot so that he charges into a nearby wall. Strategy 1 is more reliable but 2 prevents any damage from being taken without requiring you to react quickly. Ultimately the best strategy is to try for 2 while being prepared to use your movement ability if it fails.
- Heorot has two invulnerability phases: the first at 55% HP and the second at 35%. For the first he only spawns two adds that need to be killed in order to break Heorot out of his Ice Guard. During the second he spawns a series of wolves. You need to kill several waves of wolves to break him out, but even after Heorot reengages the wolves will continue to spawn until the end of the fight. They aren't a considerable amount of damage for builds with adequate defenses but they are another thing to account for.
This fight largely comes down to avoiding two mechanics. By using the pillars from Frosted Eruption to avoid Frozen Orb shards in the first quarter of the fight and staying out of Blizzard during the last 3 quarters the rest of the fight will be more than manageable.
- The Blessings for this are Physical, Cold, and Defense.
- Heorot is technically a single phase fight. He has two short periods of immunity with add spawns, but there are no arena changes and his overall skill set remains largely the same.
- Use pillars from Frosted Eruption to avoid shrapnel from Frozen Orb.
- Once Heorot casts Blizzard be prepared to use a movement ability or position him to Charge into a wall.
Written by McFluffin.
Reviewed by Facefoot, Lizard_IRL, Raxxanterax.