The Butcher is a random boss encounter that is found in Dungeons, Helltide, and Cellars. He is an incredibly tough opponent and will take you by surprise, as he spawns rarely and almost anywhere. If you die or escape, he will despawn, taking his precious loot with him, so you only get one shot to take him down! This guide helps you survive the encounter and show the Butcher the true power of your character.
All information in this article is from the Beta of Diablo 4. The content presented here is subject to change, and will be updated as we learn more.
The Butcher can only be found randomly in Dungeons, Helltide, or Cellars. So far, we have encountered him about 1 in 50 dungeons, so expect him to appear rarely. There is no level restriction on the Butcher, and he can spawn as soon as after you complete the tutorial. He can appear nearly anywhere where regular monsters can spawn, so be careful! He could be around any corner.
The Butcher has 2 breakpoints on his health bar. Once a breakpoint is reached, the red arrow flips up and turn grey. This indicates that you are in the next phase of the fight, while also dropping multiple healing vials. Each phase becomes increasingly more challenging.
Typically, bosses have a stagger bar beneath their Health Bar, and the Butcher is no exception. The stagger bar is just below the health bar and fills when Crowd Control (CC) is dealt. Once full, the Boss is rendered helpless for 12 seconds. Use this time to unleash as much hell as you possibly can.
Butcher Boss Mechanics
We have separated the attack mechanics into two different categories based on threat level; Major and Minor.
These are attacks that can one shot you if you are not careful. Attacks are often telegraphed, giving you ample time to react.
- Charge - When you run too far from the Butcher, he will charge forward and slam you with his belly. This Charge stuns you and is incredibly difficult to dodge. If you run away, make sure to use a zig-zag pattern to avoid this nasty attack!
- Headbutt - Another insane stun, this time in melee range. The telegraph here is more pronounced, so a dodge can get around this attack, but it can be difficult and frantic to dodge. Watch for him to pull his head backwards before he stuns you!
- Hook - The Butcher attempts to hook you from a distance, pull you close, and then stun you. The attack comes extremely swiftly, so it is difficult to dodge. Try to dodge sideways from the Butcher for the best chance to avoid this attack. If you do get hooked, dodge immediately after to avoid the followup attack.
These are attacks that deal relatively small damage than their counterparts. A decently built character should be able to withstand these attacks.
- Cleaver and Sickle - The Butcher will do a melee attack, swiping his cleaver at you. This isn't too dangerous, but the damage can add up fast.
- Shout - The Butcher occasionally performs a red Barbarian-like shout with a large radius. He performs this when your character is running away. If you're hit by it, it will slow you significantly.
All attacks deal Physical damage. Make sure to bring armor!
- The Butcher can drop some insane loot. Make sure you're prepared for a fight!
- He spawns incredibly rarely, only in Dungeons, Helltide, and Cellars.
- Avoid the Butcher's stuns for the best chance of survival.
- In Hardcore, consider running from the Butcher as soon as you spot him. A sharp eye can allow you to spot him before the engagement begins.
Written by Echohack
Reviewed by Teo1904