The Husk of Elder Gaspar is a juiced up version of the The Husk of Elder Pannion fight found in the campaign. He blends similar but more challenging versions of Pannion's skills while also adding in new ones. One of the rarest Uniques in the game has an increased chance to drop from this boss, making him a 'must kill' for anyone wishing to receive a pair of Ravenous Voids.
In this guide, we cover the rewards, boss mechanics, and provide a strategy for defeating this boss.
For more information on the Timeline this boss is found in check out The Last Ruin Timeline Guide.
All timeline bosses have a pool of exclusive Uniques that can drop. They also provide the player with a Blessing, which is a permanent buff to either power or farming/leveling efficiency. Just like Uniques, each boss has their own exclusive Blessing pool.
The Husk of Elder Gaspar can drop 2 Uniques and 3 Set Items:
- Gaspar's Acuity Has a 50% chance to drop. It is mutually exclusive to Gaspar's Will, meaning you always get one or the other, but not both. It can drop from both normal and empowered versions. The drop rate is not affected by corruption.
- Gaspar's Will Has a 50% chance to drop. It is mutually exclusive to Gaspar's Acuity, meaning you always get one or the other, but not both. It can drop from both regular and Empowered versions. The drop rate is not affected by corruption.
- Gaspar's Insight is a rare drop. The drop rate is increased by higher Corruption. We recommend farming this on Empowered.
- Sacrificial Embrace is a rare drop that can only be found in Empowered. Increases in Corruption improves the drop rate of this item.
- Ravenous Void is one of the rarest Uniques in the game. While also a world drop, It has a higher chance to drop from Empowered Gaspar. The drop chance increases with Item Rarity. Note: Even at high Item Rarity this is still a very rare drop.
See the Monolith Timeline Guide for more info on Corruption.
The Blessings of this Timeline are focused around increasing drop rates of certain items. Which one you should choose is dependent upon what kind of items you want to farm.
When you go into a timeline boss fight, you carry any modifiers that are active from running echoes. Some of these modifiers can be especially dangerous, while some can actually bring value with little or no downside.
Avoid These Modifiers
Take These Modifiers
Gaspar is a 1 phase fight. He has access to all of his skills from the beginning so the difficulty of the fight is largely the same throughout. The fight has an unusually high number of Damage Types with Void, Fire, Cold and Lightning all being a part of at least one of Gaspar's high damage skills, so make sure to cap all 4 Resistances. The fight consists of several punishing but well telegraphed skills so understanding the fight is key to victory. Here are some general strategies:
- Whenever Gaspar teleports to the center of the arena, get ready for Tri-Beam Fire. He always channels it in a counterclockwise rotation so be prepared to run in that direction. The rotation speed isn't very fast so a decent pair boots with Movement Speed should be enough to avoid the beams.
- Immediately after Tri-Beam Fire Gaspar uses Frozen Ice Storm. A build with adequate defenses and sustain can tank this attack. It can also be avoided by shuffling side to side as he rotates the attack back and forth.
- Throughout the fight Gaspar Summons Flaming Void Totems. They don't do anything on their own but Gaspar also casts Totemic Flame Burst on himself and the totems throughout the fight. The damaging zones from this attack can overlap, causing high damage to anyone caught in it. Totems should be killed whenever possible to avoid accumulating too many. Once Gaspar reaches 60% HP he begins to drop twice as many Totems, so managing them becomes even more important.
- Gaspar also casts Spark Discharge that creates Sparks on the ground. These Sparks act like mines which explode when you touch them. There's a short delay between the initial touch and the explosion, so the blast can be completely avoided by players who have sufficient move speed or a movement ability. Try to detonate these during periods where you don't have to deal with other mechanics to keep them from piling up.
- Gaspar also casts Doom Blast which is a series of High Damage but well telegraphed explosions that should be avoided. Around the same time he also casts Voidic Whirlwind which increases in damage over its duration and should be avoided at all costs. The whirlwind only appears on the outskirts of the arena so stand near the center until it dissipates.
Gaspar has a number of skills that can be deadly, but fortunately they are all well telegraphed and easy to avoid on their own. The real danger is letting too many of his skills accumulate, leaving nowhere to go. The keys to successfully defeating Gaspar are 1) Familiarizing yourself with the cadence of Tri-Beam Fire and 2) managing the quantity of Flaming Void Totems and Sparks to prevent yourself from becoming overwhelmed.
- The Blessings for this timeline are all focused around increasing drop rates of certain items.
- Ravenous Void has a very small chance to drop off of this boss.
- Gaspar is a single phase fight and he has access to all of his abilities from the start.
- The fight has high damage abilities that use Void, Fire, Cold and Lightning so you need to cap all four Resistances.
- Make sure to avoid Tri-Beam Fire. The attack rotates counter clockwise.
- Manage the number of Flaming Void Totems and Sparks to prevent yourself from becoming overwhelmed.
Written by McFluffin.
Reviewed by Facefoot, Lizard_IRL, Raxxanterax.