The Netherrealm is the primary endgame system in Torchlight Infinite. You complete Beacons across different planes in order to collect Cinders and reach their final Unique Bosses. This system unlocks once you have completed the Main Story Chapters 1-5 around level 58. As you complete different Planes and defeat their Watchers (Bosses) you can challenge The Realm Lord Traveler.
This guide helps you have a better understanding of the basics of the Netherrealm and provides some helpful tips to help you progress through smoother. Be sure to check out our Chaos Invasion section for more information.
Story Quest Progression
The main story of Torchlight Infinite brings you into the Netherrealm around level 58. You need to progress through the Netherrealm by collecting Cinders from challenging The Watchers.
Be sure you remember to collect your Talent Point for completing these Quests.
- Glacial Abyss Watcher Timemark 1.
- Steel Forge Watcher Timemark 3.
- Thunder Wastes Watcher Timemark 5.
- Voidlands Watcher Timemark 6.
- The Traveler for two Quests:
- Timemark 6 for your first character, Timemark 7 for all other characters.
- Timemark 8.
There are 5 Planes in the Netherrealm: Glacial Abyss, Blistering Lava Sea, Steel Forge, Thunder Wastes and Voidlands, each with their own Watcher. Each Watcher provides a unique challenge and set of rewards. You begin with 2 Planes unlocked and need to collect Cinders to open the other 3 Planes. As you progress through the Netherrealm you will gain access to new higher Timemarks that come with increased rewards and difficulty.
Be sure to stay in the Timemark range that you can comfortably play without dying repeatedly. Once you collect enough Cinders you unlock the Realm Lord Traveler and Void Rift, gaining access to the game's pinnacle bosses.
For more detailed guides on all Watchers and Traveler check out our Complete Boss Guide section
Cinders are obtained by defeating the Netherrealm Plane Watchers for the FIRST time, at each Timemark.
- Collect Cinders to unlock:
- Netherrealm Planes
- Steel Forge (3) - Thunder Wastes (12) - Voidlands (24)
- Higher Timemarks for each Plane
- Compass Slots at 18, 22, 30 and 35 Cinders
- Void Rift at 31 Cinders
- Realm Lord Traveler at 35 Cinders
The best way to progress through the Netherrealm is linear. Start with Glacial Abyss Timemark 1 and kill the Watcher. Then move to Boiling Lava Timemark 1 and kill the Watcher. Return to Glacial Abyss and kill the Watcher on Timemark 2. Repeat this process for every Plane and all Timemarks as you unlock them. This allows you to collect all the Cinders needed to unlock The Realm Lord Traveler. Progressing this way maximizes your experience gains while collecting all the Cinders.
- Steel Forge is unlocked now at Timemark 3 providing you with the Cinders for Timemark 1 and 2 (2 total).
- Thunder Wastes unlocks at Timemark 5 providing you the Cinders for Timemarks 1-4 (4 total).
- Voidlands unlocks at Timemark 6 providing all the Cinders for Timemarks 1-5 (5 total).
If you run out of Beacons while progressing you can spend Netherrealm resonance to buy them in town. Early on your options are limited, but higher Rank Beacons become available as you level up. For example, to purchase Rank 4 Beacons you need to be level 88. Edwin sells a limited number of Rank 1-3 Beacons, and an unlimited number of Rank 4 Beacons.
Note: Using a Compass will apply Offset Degrees to your Beacon. These stack together and make the map incredibly difficult if you use a large number of Dazzling Compasses.
Chaos Invasion Cards play a big role in shaping how difficult and rewarding a Beacon will be. Pity is extremely helpful early on to gain extra Stage Attention Points and challenge Watchers faster. Recollection is also useful early on, it guarantees that a Beacon will drop from the zone Boss. Sharp and Benevolent are the power couple when it comes to farming Flame Sand and Flame Elementium. Be sure to pick these cards as soon as you see them and include them in all your decks.
Note: For more information on which Trait Cards to look for early on check out our Trait Deck Tier List.
Timemark 8 (Spacetime Turbulence)
Once you have defeated the Traveler on Timemark 7 you are able to activate the Spacetime Turbulence (often called Timemark 8 by players) opening up the use of Rank 5 Beacons. To activate it click the Purple Icon at the bottom left of the screen, then select the Spacetime Turbulence option. Timemark 8 has more crafting base material drops, and some exclusive boss rewards including Graceful Ring and Precise: Fearless. Be warned monsters and bosses become more dangerous and require high Damage and Survivability.
- The Netherrealm has 5 Planes each with unique Bosses and Rewards.
- Defeat Watchers to collect Cinders and unlock new Planes, Bosses and Compass slots.
- Progress through the Netherrealm in a linear fashion by defeating the Watcher in each Timemark.
- If you ever run out of Beacons you can buy more from Edwin in town with Netherrealm resonance.
- For more information on which Trait cards are extremely helpful early on check out our Trait Deck Tier List.
- Don't forget to claim your Talent Points from Main Story Quests.
- Click the purple icon at the bottom left of the screen to activate Spacetime Turbulence (Timemark 8).
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Facefoot, Milkybk_, Zen_M
- 30 January 2023
Strategy optimized and additional resources added.
- 25 November 2022
Published for Season 2