Energy is a system you need to understand to succeed in Torchlight Infinite. It determines how many Support Skills you can use on your Active and Passive Skills to deal more damage and have better defenses. This guide covers everything you need to know about how Energy works, where to get more, and how to use it.
To find out more about how skills work in Torchlight Infinite check out our Skill System Overview.
Starting at item level 45 Energy starts appearing on gear. The maximum is scaled by the item level, NOT the level required to equip the item. This scaling caps out at item level 80.
You also gain 1 Energy per character level; this is 100 additional Energy by leveling up.
Pro tip: Use Energy Core for Gear Empowerment to randomize the energy value on an item. When you have a good piece of gear with low Energy, empower it until you get near the maximum. Or alternatively, purchase a high energy base in the Trade House. See our Trading Guide for more information.
Pro Tip: Clicking or Tapping a locked support slot on the Skills Menu unlocks it if you have sufficient Energy.
Always prioritize having 5 supports for your Main Skill, which costs 175 Energy. By the endgame you have ~520 Energy to work with so you can either have a few skills with a lot of supports, or a lot of skills with 4-5 of them
Pro Tip: Sometimes Supports and Passive Skills become inactive when changing gear. Always double check and use the green + to reassign your Energy!
Energy is one of the core systems in Torchlight Infinite. It governs how many Support Skills you link to your Active and Passive skills.
- Energy starts appearing at item level 45. Higher item levels give better values, capping at 80.
- Chest pieces and 2-handed weapons have 122 maximum.
- Other armor pieces have 61 maximum.
- Trinkets do not have Energy.
- Assign Energy in the Skills Menu. Select a Skill, then use the green + to add Energy or the blue - to remove Energy.
- Always prioritize having 5 supports for your Main Skill, which costs 175 Energy.
- You get ~520 Energy to work with by endgame, but the exact distribution varies from build to build.
- After changing gear ALWAYS check the Energy Menu to make sure nothing broke!
Written by Tenkiei
Reviewed by Raxxanterax, Xtra37
Article Published for Season 2