DISCLAIMER: This strategy was devised during Season 1. A lot of the core elements were altered during Season 2; this will be updated as soon as we get enough data to provide the best Guides for farming all the Flame Elementium.
Flame Fuel is the general trade currency in Torchlight Infinite, it is required for all levels of crafting, enchanting your gear and is the most common method of pricing your items on the Trade House.
This strategy allows you to skip on having to convert other commodities via the Trade House by exclusively targeting Flame Fuel drops.
WARNING: This guide assumes you understand the basics of the Chaos Invasion System from our resources guide. Read that first before continuing!
This strategy is a very straightforward way to generate currency, since you are exclusively targeting Flame Fuel with the use of Sharp, Magnanimous and Generous and then filling the maps with as many Rare Monsters as possible to compliment the card combination.
The Currency you earn from Flame Fuel farming comes in the following forms;
- Flame Fuel (Flame Dust, Flame Sand, Flame Elementium)
- Basic Embers for Crafting
- Memory Fragments (A Terrible Price, Sanguine Moon, Dragonslayer's Notes)
- Rank 5 Beacons (Blistering Lava Sea Beacon, Thunder Wastes Beacon, Steel Forge Beacon, Glacial Abyss Beacon, Voidlands Beacon)
- Handing in Memory Fragments provides a large amount of Legendary Items
To farm this strategy you need an understanding of the Chaos Invasion System and have a build capable of clearing at the minimum, Rank 4 Beacons. The ability to clear Timemark 7 Watchers is not essential for this strategy, only kill them if you can do so quickly. If you are unsure on any of the Watchers mechanics check out our Boss Guides here.
Adding additional compasses to the map increases rewards, but also makes them more difficult, therefore, if you're doing this on a higher level of investment you need a strong build, capable of clearing Rank 5 Beacons for maximum rewards.
Due to how generic our Goals are with this strategy, we want to select a zone that has high mob counts combined with good density to maximize the amount of mobs you can kill in a given amount of time. A few good options are:
- Access to the highest Mob count map in the game, Savage Grasslands.
- Very good layouts which means little to no backtracking.
- Exclusive Memory Fragment drop A Terrible Price which is worth a lot of Flame Elementium.
- Access to one of the best stages in the game, City of Ascension. This map is small, has a very open layout and a ton of mobs are crammed in!
- Average layouts, some stages require backtracking to clear fully.
- Exclusive Memory Fragment drop Dragonslayer's Notes, a fragment which is very valuable at the earlier stages of a season if Moto is popular.
Trait Deck Order
This deck centers around Sharp, Magnanimous and Generous. The goal is to combine Sharp with Magnanimous, causing 6-Modifier Rare Items to often convert into Flame Fuel and to drop much more frequently from Rare Monsters. Generous gives Fuel a small chance to be upgraded, resulting in consistent Flame Elementium drops due to the sheer volume of Fuel dropping.
The remainder of the deck is filled with Doughty cards - adding Rare Monsters that synergize with Magnanimous yields more Flame Fuel. As a general rule of thumb, use these after Sharp, Magnanimous and Generous.
- Just awakens our key Trait Deck Cards
- Reserved allows us to draw more Trait Deck Cards in the event of missing some of our key choices.
- Honest lets us do all the above without the expense of one of our Chaos Invasion attempts.
- Pity rewards an additional attention point upon completing a stage. If we completely miss our combo, activate Pity and then run straight to the boss for the remainder of your Chaos Invasion attempts.
Below are multiple examples of combinations you should aim for:
In the event that you don't hit Sharp, you can still fill the map with monsters and run Generous as this card is one of the most lucrative in the game. With the ability to transform any Flame Sand dropped into Flame Elementium.
TIP: This conversion applies to stacks of Flame Sand too! So don't be surprised if you drop a stack of 10 Flame Elementium!
- Just (Attempting to awaken Generous)
Preparation is essential for profit in any strategy. Have a set of at least 20 Tier 4 Beacons for whichever zone you decide to run before you start mapping. You can farm these Beacons or buy them from other players.
Rolling Maps: Use Netherrealm resonance to increase the Drop Quantity and Rarity of your beacons. For Tier 4 Beacons use >120% Drop Quantity and for Tier 5 use >140% Drop Quantity.
Tier Selection: Tier 5 Beacons are a method of further increasing your rewards, they should only be used when you are capable of efficiently clearing them and when you have used your Chaos Invasion attempts to create a more lucrative map. In Example 2, you would begin to use Tier 5 beacons upon using Generous.
Return to Tier 4 Beacons when you have finished your Chaos Invasion Attempts.
WARNING: Netherrealm Essence also increases the difficulty of the maps by adding various modifiers. Be sure to check these in case your build is incompatible, as the modifiers could make the Beacon very difficult to complete.
Compasses: Efficiently using compasses is the best way to increase rewards. We use those that best synergize with our Trait Deck selections.
Use the following Compasses:
- Dated General Compass/Shiny General Compass - Area contains 2/5 additional Rare Monsters
- Dated/Shiny Brilliance Compass - +25%/50% Additional Flame Fuel dropped.
- Dated/Shiny Profiling Compass - Memory Fragments dropped have a 10/25% chance to be duplicated by 2.
WARNING: Compasses add Offset Degrees that increase the difficulty of Beacons depending on the rarity of Compass used. Stacking multiple Compasses can be very dangerous.
Higher Tier Compasses
Higher tiers of compasses provide the biggest boost to the rewards you can expect from Beacons, but they come with significant drawbacks.
- Make the map much more dangerous
- Cannot be self sustained
- Only efficient in Rank 5 Beacons
Tip: Due to these drawbacks, only use them when you have an optimal card sequence (see Higher Investment Example).
Use these higher-tier compasses to increase profits. Start with the lower-tiers whilst you familiarize yourself with the deck and combinations, then work your way up to Dazzling Compasses if you feel confident.
- Flame Fuel is the games general trade currency making it a great target to farm.
- Exclusively targeting Flame Fuel eliminates a lot of trade time spent converting other Commodities farmed in other strategies
- Combine Sharp, Magnanimous and Generous to cause Rare monsters to drop and upgrade Flame Fuel.
- Use Pity to quickly cycle through your Chaos Invasion attempts when you miss your Trait Deck combo.
- Add General, Brilliance and Profiling Compass' (combined with Yearning) at higher levels of investment for more rewards.
- Upgrade to Rank 5 Beacons and Dazzling Compass' to optimize the strategy and generate maximum rewards.
Written by Milkybk_.
Reviewed by Mike1Up, Facefoot.
- 5 January 2023
Published for Season 2