The Book of the Dead is a unique Necromancer Summons enhancement system. You can specialize your Skeletal Warriors, Mages and Golem to fit the needs of your build. You can also choose to sacrifice your summons, stopping your ability to summon them, but gaining powerful thematic bonuses based on the options you choose. As your Necromancer reaches higher levels, you are able to summons more types of Undead to add to your horde!
The Book of the Dead
While you begin your journey as a Level 1 Necromancer, with access to the Summon Skeleton Skill, you unlock many new options and combinations of summons/sacrifices to customize your gameplay experience. You actually unlock the Book of the Dead UI menu at level 5 for free, without needing to complete any quests! From here you make decisions between two enhancement or sacrificing your Skeletons for a passive stat bonus. Below, I detail the general flavors of Summons as well as the specific stats available from in-game tooltips.
General Summon Overview
There are three types of horrors the Necromancer can summon at any given time. Your Minions gain 30% of your stats as a baseline. Raise Skeleton and Golem must be on your skillbar to summon them.
- Skeletal Warriors: These are your front-line swarming minions. There are high DPS, Tank and slow heavy Damage focused variants. Sacrificing these awards bonuses similar to the focus they have.
- Skeletal Mages: These skeletons are your back-line artillery minions. There are Shadow Damage, Physical Damage, and Chilling CC focused variants. Sacrificing these awards bonuses to your damage potential and Resource management.
- Golems: The Golems are front-line disruption tanks. There are Ultra-tanky, AoE damage, and AoE CC focused variants. Sacrificing your Golem awards bonuses that increase your own tankiness and DPS potential.
Specific Summons Stats
- Skeletal Warriors - Skirmishers
- Skeletal Warriors - Defenders
- Skeletal Warriors - Reapers
- Skeletal Mages - Shadow
- Skeletal Mages - Cold
- Skeletal Mages - Bone
- Golems - Bone
- Golems - Blood
- Golems - Iron
Class Quest: Unlock Your Golem
The Necromancer needs to complete a Class specific Quest to unlock the ability to summon their Golem. See our guided walkthrough below under the SPOILERS dropdown or in the listed Video:
Book of the Dead Summary
- Necromancers can summon multiple types of Undead minions to fight by their side. The three options are melee-focused Skeletal Warriors, ranged Skeletal Mages and hulking brute Golems.
- You gain access to the basic Skeletal Warrior: Skirmishers at level 1 with the Raise Skeleton Skill. You unlock the UI Menu for the Book of the Dead at Level 5. You continue to unlock new Skeleton options all the way up to Level 25, for free.
- At level 25 you unlock a Quest to summon your Golem. Follow the guided video walkthrough or SPOILERS dropdown for specifics.
- To summon your Undead minions, you must have their Skills on your Skill Bar. This means that a full Summon Necromancer can only have 4 other Skills on their Bar.
- Sacrificing your minions has the potential to outweigh the benefits you may find from summoning. Each Necromancer build makes different decisions, and you don't always use your summons the same way.
Written by MacroBioBoi.
Reviewed by Echohack.