Contents of this article:
- Shadows of the Past (S22)
- Trials of Tempests (S21)
- Season of the Forbidden Archives (S20)
- Season of the Eternal Conflict (S19)
- Season of Triune (S18)
- Season of Nightmares (S17)
- Season of Grandeur (S16)
- Boon of the Horadrim (S15)
- Season of Greed (S14)
Since Season 15 there are new Season Themes every Season. Those are unique in their mechanics and implications for the game. Traditionally we had a variety of environmental and pure character stats enhancing Season Themes. Below you can find an overview of every Seasonal Theme from the past as well as the current one!
Shadows of the Past (S22)
During Season 22, activating a Shrine or Pylon will spawn in a shadow clone of your class. The clone's power will scale with your character and will last for one minute or until death. Activating a Shrine/Pylon will spawn in a shadow clone of your class. This clone will randomly have 1 out of 3 predetermined builds. This clone's power will scale with your character and will last for 1 minute or until you die. See below for the shadow clone variations that can spawn when activating. Check out the individual Build variations for each class in the official post.
In addition, for the duration of Season 22, Kanai's Cube will have a fourth slot. You will have the option to choose any power for this one, but it won't stack with powers from other slots.
Shadow Clone Mechanics
Here is a short overview of the Shadow Clone Mechanics:
- Clones spawn for 1 minute from shrines
- They scale with your sheet damage
- They deal more damage with more legendries equipped
- They usually one-shot stuff easily on T6 (even at level 1)
- In parties they scale with the person who clicked the shrine
- Only party members within 2-3 screens will get a clone
- They spawn with a pre-selected set of abilities
- Every class has three different sets of abilities that can be chosen
- There is no timer or indicator for when they are active
- They stay behind when you change floors
- They die when you die (or the person who clicked the pylon in parties)
Clones are useful for the following things:
- Fast 1 to 70 leveling
- Speedfarming lower Tiers up to Greater Rift 110
- Oneshotting T16 Rift Guardians while you wear Cain's Destiny set and watch
- Destroying Elites and Rift Guardians up to Greater Rift 125
In can be worth playing around pylons in a different way than usual to to the high power of Shadow Clones in midrange Greater Rift Tiers. Especially for weaker characters and non-meta builds it will be useful to time them for when you have a big pull prepared so that the clones can obliterate the screen. Towards the high-end, their power drops off significantly due to Greater Rift scaling and their lack of proper damage scaling, which is tied to your sheet DPS. This means that after Greater Rift 125, their effectiveness will fade quickly to the point where you don't have to care about them at all anymore beyond Greater Rift 140 at the very max.
Trials of the Tempests (S21)
During Season 21, your character will occasionally (every 90 seconds) channel an elemental power which unleashes into the environment for a limited time:
- Rain meteors from the skies around you.
- Breathe lightning.
- Summon a wall of flame.
- Release twisters of pure energy.
- Crush your foes under the weight of rolling snowballs.
The theme and its procs are one of the defining factors for your success or failure in Season 21. Not really relevant or noticeable in speed farming, they become all the more powerful in slow runs and pushing scenarios, as you get more of them and have more time to play around them. The overall gain over nonseason pushing is between 6-12 tiers, depending on class, build, luck and your ability to use it effectively.
Each of them have their unique pattern and strategies for most effective use. If you want to learn more about how to play around and push with them, feel free to check these Guides:
Season of the Forbidden Archives (S20)
For the duration of Season 20, the slots in Kanai’s Cube that allow you to equip three additional Legendary powers will not be restricted to their usual categories. While normally a player can equip one power each from the Weapon, Armor, and Jewelry categories, Season 20 players can mix and match between all three! This might allow you to run two Weapon powers with one Armor power. Or perhaps you might choose to run three Amulet powers instead. The choice is yours, and we’re as eager as you are to experiment with the new build opportunities this creates!
Season of Eternal Conflict (S19)
All players will benefit from the Pandemonium buff during Season 19. For each stack of this buff, you’ll receive a small boost to movement speed and bonus damage, ultimately capping out at 50% movement speed and 100% damage at 1000 stacks. In addition, reaching certain killstreak goals will trigger a special effect and cause even more mayhem on the battlefield:
- 15 Kills: Exploding Chickens seek and destroy
- 30 Kills: A wide Frost Nova freezes enemies
- 50 Kills: Corpses rain from the sky
- 100 Kills: Five massive Energy Twisters are unleashed
- 150 Kills: Dark Geysers form beneath enemies
- 200 Kills: Treasure chests fall from the sky
- 300 Kills: A ring of fire engulfs everything
- 400 Kills: Meteors hail from above
- 500 Kills: Angels descend upon the battlefield to fight for your cause
- 1000 Kills: Diablo appears!
Season of the Triune (S18)
For the duration of Season 18, all players will benefit from the Power of the Triune buff, which will periodically summon circles around the battlefield that provide one of three random buffs:
- Triune of Love (Power): Players in the circle receive a 100% damage bonus while active
- Triune of Determination (Resource Reduction): Players in the circle receive a 50% discount on resources spent while active
- Triune of Creation (Cooldown Reduction): While standing in an active circle, any skills currently on cooldown come off of cooldown more quickly
Season of Nightmares (S17)
For the duration of Season 17, all Seasonal players will benefit from the Set bonus provided by Legacy of Nightmares. This means that everyone will enjoy the powerful benefits of the “no Set” Set and any and every Ancient Legendary you find is that much more valuable.
Season of Grandeur (S16)
For the duration of Season 16, all Seasonal players will benefit from the legendary power of the Ring of Royal Grandeur. This means you do not need to hunt down or equip the item to benefit from its Set bonus-enabling ability! Bear in mind that this buff does not stack with additional Rings of Royal Grandeur, whether they be equipped directly on your character or via the Jewelry slot in Kanai’s Cube
Boon of the Horadrim (S15)
During the Season 15 all Horadric Caches earned from bounties are doubled. This means that each time you complete a full set of five bounties in an Act, you will receive not one, but two Horadric Caches, for twice the bounty rewards!
There are a few things to keep in mind with this effect:
- The bonus cache does benefit from difficulty level; it is essentially as though you completed twice the bountie The rewards inside the Horadric Caches are otherwise unaffected; drop rates or the amount of individual rewards have not been altered
- The bonus cache earned from Challenge Rifts is not affected
Season of Greed (S14)
For the duration of Season 14, all Treasure Goblin spawns will be doubled. This means that each time you encounter a Treasure Goblin in the wild, they’ll be accompanied by an exact duplicate of themselves for two times the loot, chaos, and fun!
There are a few important details to keep in mind with this effect:
- This does not affect goblins encountered via Bandit Shrines, Goblin “Rift” packs, or in the Realm of Greed
- Duplicate Whimsydale portals created by the Rainbow Goblin will enter the same instance of Whimsydale
- The Insufferable Miscreant is not affected by this buff
Enjoy the unique themes of the different Seasons. We will keep you updated here!
Overview by Rob and Wudijo