The Shaper is the creator of the Atlas of Worlds, the main antagonist of the Atlas of Worlds expansion and was introduced in patch 2.4.0 Essence League. He's one of the pinnacle bosses, found in The Shaper's Realm. He also occasionally appears in Maps that are influenced by him. Players can fight The Shaper using the Key to the Crucible Map Fragments set, which can be obtained by defeating the Guardians of the Void.
Guardians of the Void - Boss Guides:
- Pit of the Chimera Map - Guardian of the Chimera
- Lair of the Hydra Map - Guardian of the Hydra
- Forge of the Phoenix Map - Guardian of the Phoenix
- Maze of the Minotaur Map - Guardian of the Minotaur
The Shaper - Boss Guide:
The Shaper's real name is Valdo Caeserius, the father of Zana Caeserius. Zana assists the player during the battle with The Shaper and constantly implores him to stop fighting and join her, but he refuses.
The Shaper's abilities deal very high damage. His iconic ability, The Shaper Beam, deals 15,000 elemental damage per second using a combination of Fire, Cold and Lightning elements. The Shaper does not deal Chaos damage and does not inflict Bleeds.
The fight consists of multiple phases. Before The Shaper encounter begins, the player must defeat four Mini-Bosses at the Nexus. After that, a portal opens to The Shaper's Arena. The Shaper himself has three phases. At the end of the first and second phases, he banishes Zana and the player to a passage while he heals up. The players must traverse the passage and return to the Arena to begin the next phase. The Shaper recovers health slowly between phases.
Defeating The Shaper is guaranteed to drop a map fragment required for the Uber Elder encounter, either Fragment of Knowledge or Fragment of Shape. The other 2 fragments (Fragment of Terror and Fragment of Emptiness are dropped by The Elder.
In addition to regular loot, The Shaper has the following boss-specific drops:
- Dying Sun
- Shaper's Touch
- Solstice Vigil
- Fragment of Knowledge
- Fragment of Shape
- Orb of Dominance
The Shaper only auto-attacks if you are in Melee Range, dealing Physical Damage.
The Shaper unleashes a Beam of Elemental Energy, dealing damage over time as Fire, Cold & Lightning.
With the voice line "Gaze into the Abyss", the Shaper locks to the player's current position and starts
channeling his Beam for 3 Seconds. Most builds don't survive standing in the beam, so avoiding it is a
high priority. This also opens up a window to burst the boss.
This damage is mitigated by your Elemental Resistances and other sources of damage mitigation.
The Shaper casts a Volley of three Orbs, dealing massive amounts of Cold Damage.
The Shaper disappears into the void, then teleports to your location and slams the ground, dealing massive
amounts of Physical Damage. In order to dodge the Slam, you have to keep moving once the Shaper disappears. Most builds get one-shot by this ability.
Occasionally, Void Orbs spawn randomly across the Boss Arena, slowly floating towards you. If one reaches
you, it detonates and spawns a Vortex that deals heavy Cold Damage over Time while you stand inside
the Vortex Zone. All Vortex zones are removed once the phase ends.
The Shaper teleports to the side of the Boss Arena, spawning a Portal which releases Monsters from the Atlas, while the Shaper is immune to all damage.
The Monsters spawn one by one, attacking Zana and you. This is the only time Zana is vulnerable.
Keep her safe, and the Portal closes after a short time. If she is close to dying, she retreats to recover her
health and is not able to protect you from the Bullet Hell.
The Shaper disengages, becomes invulnerable, and then proceeds to perform the Bullet Hell ability.
Bullet Hell is a spell that fills the entire Boss area with Purple Orbs, each dealing a heavy amount of
Cold Damage. In order to survive this mechanic, you have to stand close to Zana while she is channeling
a protective bubble. Be careful to not spawn a Vortex in the middle of the Arena, otherwise you suffer
enormous amounts of Cold Damage over Time while trying to stay safe from the Bullet Hell.
It's very likely that a beam will hit right at the end of the spell, so you need to be on your guard and ready
to rush out of the bubble
If you kept Zana safe, she creates a protective shield once The Shaper starts to cast his Bullet Hell ability.
While standing in the shield, you become Immune to The Shaper's Bullet Hell, but other abilities can still
damage you while inside.
The Shaper's Realm
In order to open the portals to The Shaper's Realm, you have to collect all 4 Shaper Guardian Fragments and place them into your Map Device in the right order. These Fragments include:
- Fragment of the Hydra obtained in the Lair of the Hydra Map
- Fragment of the Chimera obtained in the Pit of the Chimera Map
- Fragment of the Phoenix obtained in the Forge of the Phoenix Map
- Fragment of the Minotaur obtained in the Maze of the Minotaur Map
The Shaper Fight has 6 different Phases beginning with The Nexus.
These Bosses are a selection of Map Bosses and is chosen randomly from the following:
- Ambrius, Legion Slayer (Colosseum Map)
- God's Chosen and The Hallowed Husk (Palace Map)
- Spinner of False Hope (Arachnid Nest Map)
- Shock and Horror (Mineral Pools Map)
- Tyrant (Colonnade Map)
- Penitentiary Incarcerator (Dungeon Map)
- Olof, Son of the Headsman (Pit Map)
- The Goddess (Plaza Map)
- The Cursed King (Dark Forest Map)
- Merveil, the Reflection and Merveil, the Returned (Underground Sea Map)
- Shadow of the Vaal (Maze Map)
- The Infernal King (Caldera Map)
- Piety the Empyrean (Shrine Map)
- Eater of Souls and Heart of the Beast (Core Map)
- Fire and Fury (Lava Chamber Map)
Atlas Passive Tree
To further enhance the difficulty as well as the rewards of The Shaper, there are some Atlas Passive Tree Keystones, Notables and Nodes.
Uber Shaper (Cosmic Wounds)
- The Shaper has vastly increased life and damage.
- He now has two clones at the start.
- The yellow balls have additional Projectiles.
- The Teleport Slam ability is faster.
- Vortex zones stay on the ground throughout the whole boss fight.
- Zana doesn't help you in the Bullet Hell phase.
In addition to the regular Shaper loot, the Uber Shaper has the following boss-specific drops:
- Sublime Vision
- Orb of Dominance (100% increased drop chance)
Sublime Vision variations:
- Anger - Always Scorch while affected by Anger
- Hatred - Always inflict Brittle while affected by Hatred
- Wrath - Always Sap while affected by Wrath
- Zealotry - Unaffected by Curses while affected by Zealotry
- Malevolence - You can apply an additional Curse while affected by Malevolence
- Pride - (20–40)% increased Effect of Non-Curse Auras from your Skills on Enemies & Enemies you Kill while using Pride have 25% chance to Explode, dealing a tenth of their maximum Life as Physical Damage
- Determination - +1 to Maximum Endurance Charges while affected by Determination
- Discipline - +1 to Maximum Power Charges while affected by Discipline
- Grace - +1 to Maximum Frenzy Charges while affected by Grace
- Haste - 10% increased Action Speed while affected by Haste
- Purity of Elements - +3% to all maximum Elemental Resistances while affected by Purity of Elements
- Purity of Fire - 30% of Cold and Lightning Damage taken as Fire Damage while affected by Purity of Fire
- Purity of Ice - 30% of Fire and Lightning Damage taken as Cold Damage while affected by Purity of Ice
- Purity of Lightning - 30% of Fire and Cold Damage taken as Lightning Damage while affected by Purity of Lightning
- Vitality - Regenerate 15% Life over one second when hit while affected by Vitality
- Clarity - 80% increased Effect of Arcane Surge on you while affected by Clarity
- Precision - 25% more Critical Strike chance while affected by Precision
- Most of the Shaper's abilities can be outmanoeuvred, like the Shaper's Beam or his Teleport Slam.
- Keep Zana alive while he opens the monster portal. She keeps you safe in the Bullet Hell phase!
- Use moments like the Shaper's Beam to burst damage the boss, since he doesn't move before finishing the cast.
- After defeating the Unshaped or the Uncreated in the intermission, you can travel back to kill some monsters to refill your Flasks. Don't spend too much time tough, since the Shaper regenerates his health in the meantime.
- Stay in the protective shield provided by Zana to survive the Bullet Hell phase, but make sure to move out quickly after, since the Shaper most likely casts a Shaper Beam.
- Use a Culling Strike Support and link it to a Totem or any other skill that can use it to shorten the last phase by 10%.
Written by mbXtreme.
Reviewed by wudijo.