Economy Changes: In Patch 3.19 Lake of Kalandra may affect the content of this guide. The Harvest and Beyond leagues may now be valuable to run in place of Heist and Harbinger early.
The Alchemy And Go Strategy or "Alch and Go" is the most popular and accessible Currency farming strategy in Path of Exile and often ends up being one of the most profitable as well. The goal is to complete maps as fast as possible with mechanics that don't take much time, focus or investment. This keeps costs low, play sessions fast and profits high. It can be done on any map tier and focuses on exploiting the current Challenge league mechanic. In this Alchemy and Go Farming guide you will learn how to maximize your loot, set the strategy up and optimize your play with essential tips and tricks.
- Essences, Remnants of Corruption and Corrupted Essences.
- Heist Contracts and Blueprints.
- Exalted Shards, Orbs of Horizons, Harbinger's Orbs and Ancient Orbs.
- Corrupted 6-Links From Strongboxes.
- Scarabs From Strongboxes.
- Challenge League Loot.
A good amount of your earnings depend on the profitability of the current challenge league mechanic as it will be present in each of your maps for free. Even without it though, the Alch and Go method earns significant Currency in both low and high tier maps (and even gains additional loot rewards at Tier 14+).
Alch and Go farming only requires a build capable of doing tier 1 maps, but the requirements increase as you move up the tiers.
Alch and Go doesn’t require any invested Currency or purchased mapping supplies off of other players, meaning all of your time can be spent slaying monsters or selling loot.
Larger amounts of Atlas passive points allow you to allocate more passive income nodes during mapping, while additional void stones and favourite slots allow you to run better map layouts for more clears per session. Ascending to higher tier maps increases the difficulty, but also offers far greater rewards and potential synergies.
The gameplay of Alch and Go is identical to traditional mapping. Your only goal is to complete maps as fast as possible, ensuring you complete all of the league mechanics you're focusing on while slaying the majority of monsters.
With speed as a focus, the best maps to run are small layout maps without obstructions hindering movement. Each of the league mechanics we run have no layout requirements. So whatever map feels the fastest for your build is the most profitable.
The leagues that provide the most value and synergise with our goals are the following:
- Harbinger adds heaps of monsters to our maps, with standard alongside exclusive Harbinger currencies. Harbingers don't take up much time in your maps and are worth defeating.
- Essence guarantees high quality crafting materials which can be used for early/end game crafts, or sold for quick Currency to other players. This is all for a minimal time investment in your maps!
- Ambush adds empowered strongboxes to your maps which contain traditional loot, and occasionally Scarabs or Corrupted 6-link items that can be sold for additional income.
- Heist adds high chances at encountering Heist caches that contain blueprints and contracts, both of which can fetch good prices. Demand can fluctuate for Heist, so if your items aren't selling, double down on the mechanics above or pick up something else.
- The Challenge League Mechanic is almost always incredibly rewarding at all levels of play and is present in every zone and map you run. It is the bread and butter earner for Alch and Go. Ensure you understand how to get the most out of it!
Tips And Tricks
When encountering essences in maps, use Remnants of Corruption which are gathered passively on all purple coloured essences. This has a chance to upgrade them into corrupted essences which are worth significantly more. The essences to look out for are any of the following regardless of what tier they are:
- Screaming Essence of Dread
- Screaming Essence of Envy
- Screaming Essence of Misery
- Screaming Essence of Scorn
Remnants of Corruption can also be optionally used on high value shrieking essences.
Operatives strongboxes do not require any special interactions, but provide significant income through Scarabs.
Heist Cache's are a significant boost to your maps and often yield blueprints, large quantities of Rogue's Markers and contracts. All of these can sell for a considerable price to other players.
King Harbingers occasionally spawn and pose greater challenges for higher rewards. These should always be approached with caution, especially on builds with weak gear or low AoE.
Atlas Passive Tree
Atlas Passive Tips
- Block league mechanics you do not like using the nodes below Shaping the Mountains and Shaping the Skies e.g. 'Sealed Domain' blocks Legion.
- After acquiring 4 voidstones and 7+ favorite map slots allocate the Singular Focus keystone.
- Use final atlas passive points to specialise in an additional synergistic farming strategy.
- League and map nodes on the 'base tree' are mandatory but travel nodes can be adjusted as needed.
- When using Awakened Sextants allocate the 'Enduring Focus' node.
There is NO required Atlas setup to run Alch and Go, however for seamless gameplay, infinite map sustain of the best layouts and maximum profit the following is recommended:
- The Grasping Voidstone
- The Omniscient Voidstone
- The Ceremonial Voidstone
- The Decayed Voidstone
- 83 atlas passive points
- 10+ Favourite Map Slots
When farming Alch and Go, small maps that can be completed quickly are always preferred to maximize the passive league mechanics you are clearing per session. Any layout map can be used, but the ones below have extra merit or are particularly well suited for our preferred mechanics.
- City Square/Mesa are considered the fastest and most linear maps in Path of Exile. They are almost identical every time you run them, making them the top picks for speed mapping strategies. Being so small and fast to run means they don't have the best natural mob counts, making them difficult to sustain effectively without investment.
- Toxic Sewer is one of the best map layouts in Path of Exile, boasting a strong natural monster count for easy map sustain. It is one of the only linear indoor maps, making it a great choice for builds without a lot of AoE that still want to clear extremely fast.
- Ashen Wood is a small open layout map with a good natural mob count and a very easy boss. It also drops The Scout Divination Card which adds additional profit to your farming sessions.
- Canyon is similar to Ashen Wood. It is a small open layout map with almost no terrain to obstruct your movement or league mechanics. This makes it easy to run and a great candidate for synergising with other leagues.
Rolling your maps correctly is essential for increasing your profits and sustaining the best map layouts.
When running Alch and Go in the early game, roll your maps using the following method:
- Clean Your Maps - Ensure all of your maps are identified and then use an Orb of Scouring on all non-rare maps to make them all normal or rare.
- Alchemy Orbs - Use Orbs of Alchemy on every non-rare map. Check their modifiers to ensure you can run them. Re-roll maps your character can not run using Orb of Scouring and Orb of Alchemy again.
When rolling tier 11+ maps roll your maps using the following method:
- Clean Your Maps - Ensure all of your maps are identified and then use an Orb of Scouring on them. Make sure they are all normal rarity as achieving 20% quality on white maps requires significantly less with Cartographer's Chisels.
- Chiseling - Use Cartographer's Chisels on all of your maps until each one is 20% quality.
- Alchemy Orbs - Use Orbs of Alchemy on every 20% quality map and ensure you can run their modifiers. Re-roll maps your character can not run using Orb of Scouring and Orb of Alchemy again.
- Vaal Orbs - Use Vaal Orbs on all of your appropriately rolled maps. Some maps may transform or receive new modifiers so ensure that you weed out any your build cannot run or that are no longer on a favourable layout for Alch and Go. On average using Vaal Orbs on high tiers maps is worth it.
Selling Your Loot
Here are the drops you can expect to acquire with this strategy, as well as some advice on how to sell them effectively and quickly. Follow our Bulk Selling guide to learn more.
Kirac modifiers are a set of league modifiers that can be accessed via the map device for a Chaos Orb fee per map. These modifiers change every Challenge League and can be incredibly powerful for the Alch and Go strategy. Consider using these modifiers after investing into the appropriate Atlas passives points:
- Harbinger (T14+ Only)
- Ambush (T14+ Only)
Alch and Go farming does not require any specific Sextant Modifiers, but as with all strategies, Sextants increase your profit for next to no cost when running tier 14+ maps.
Always use Awakened Sextants to roll additional monster packs on all your available Void Stones. Use Surveyor's Compass on valuable Modifiers you don't want so they can be sold.
Eldritch Altar Farming
Eldritch Altar Farming requires minimal investment from the Atlas passive tree, is free, and grants a significant amount of loot without slowing down your clear speed. The primary requirement for effective Eldritch Altar Farming is a map that features a boss that can be rushed consistently. As Alch and Go can be run on any map layout the perfect Eldritch Altar map can be selected without losing out on anything.
Due to the flexibility and accessibility of Alch and Go, all league strategies synergise with it to some extent. The only limiting factor is how many Atlas passive points can be dedicated toward effective passive league mechanics while having enough left over for other strategies. Here are some good places to start:
This guide explains:
- The incredibly low Currency, Atlas and character requirements of Alch and Go.
- The flexibility of the strategy to be run on any map on top of any other strategy.
- How to run and make currency from the strategy.
- A suitable Atlas Passive Tree Skeleton to use.
- How to sell the loot that you've earned converting it into liquid currency.
Written by Grimro.
Reviewed by Raxxanterax