Learn about the key leveling notes and campaign step by step for the Maw of Mischief Elementalist Build.
This leveling will primarily use Freezing Pulse from levels 1 until 16, at which point you will swap to using Wave of Conviction alongside Orb of Storms. Place down Orb of Storms, then cast Wave of Conviction a couple times to kill all packs. Although this is an Ignite build, it is substantially better to level this build using Lightning and generic Elemental Damage, eventually respeccing to Ignite.
The "Wand Craft" is the easiest way to make any caster leveling better. Selling a magic wand, an Orb of Alteration, and a normal Topaz Ring produces a wand like this: Snapping Driftwood Wand.
If you need a magic wand, purchase a 3-linked wand from Nessa with favorable colors, those being Blue-Blue-Green, Blue-Blue-Blue, or Blue-Green-Red. Then use an Orb of Transmutation on it. If you need a Topaz Ring, you can sell an Iron Ring with any Skill Gem that is colored Green.
Note: Selling rare items identified will give you Alteration Shards, while selling them unidentified gives Transmutation Shards.
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
- Reach Lioneye's Watch and choose Freezing Pulse as your reward.
- Complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Talk to Nessa and choose Quicksilver Flask and Chance to Poison Support. ((Purchase [gem])).
- Talk to Tarkleigh and grab Orb of Storms and Frostblink.
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town, then talk to Nessa and grab: Added Lightning Damage Support Combustion Support.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint after Dweller of the Deep.
- Perform the Wand Vendor Recipe at this point with a Topaz Ring.
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- After killing Brutus, return to town and choose Flame Dash. This replaces Frostblink.
- Complete the quest The Marooned Mariner and grab the waypoint in Merveil's Caverns.
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, return to town and talk to Bestel for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Grab Volatile Dead from Nessa, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
Act 1 Tips
- Note that The Way Forward is an Act 1 quest that is only completable in Act 2.
- Advanced players are advised to mule an Onslaught Support from a Scion. Link this to Orb of Storms.
- Chance to Poison Support and Volatile Dead are not actually used in the build, they are instead sold with an Iron Ring to create a Topaz Ring for a wand craft.
- The Wand Vendor Recipe is selling a magic wand, an Orb of Alteration, and a normal Topaz Ring to a vendor to receive an item such as: Buzzing Driftwood Wand
- This wand is a substantial DPS improvement. If your leveling doesn't feel smooth, it is because you did not craft this wand.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to mitigate her Cold Damage. Kill her and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on the Path of Exile Endgame. Priority #1 is to ensure your Elemental Resistances are capped (75%) and that you have sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any items that are not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft Life and Resistances wherever possible according to what you need.
Recommended Farming Content
After completing the campaign the first step is to progress through the Atlas following our Atlas Progression Guide. Focus on the mechanics listed below depending on what level of content your character can complete QUICKLY. If you're struggling in higher tier content it is always recommended to step back and farm up more Currency and Gear in the previous tier. Clicking the League Mechanics below for an Explanation Guide or a detailed Currency Farming Guide based around maximizing profits from that mechanic.
Always re-roll or avoid running the following modifiers when they appear on your maps.
- Monsters reflect X% of Elemental Damage
- Players cannot Regenerate Life, Mana or Energy Shield
- Monsters have X% chance to Avoid Elemental Ailments
Consider re-rolling or avoiding the following modifiers when they appear on maps:
- Unique Bosses are Possessed
- Players have x% reduced effect of Non-Curse Auras from skills
- -X% maximum Player Resistances