Learn about the key leveling notes and campaign step by step for the Caustic Arrow Ballista Trickster Build.
Key Leveling Notes
This build starts with a Duelist to mule Splitting Steel, and switches over to using Poisonous Concoction at level 12. Make sure to grab two Caustic Arrow gems at some point around Act 4, and level these in your off-hand weapons. Gems gain levels even if you are not using them if they are equipped somewhere.
Bandits are Kill all for 2 skill points.
Campaign Step By Step
Beginner players should follow Enki's Campaign Progression guide.
The levels listed below are based on speedrunning. Always be greater or equal to the levels listed.
- Start as a DUELIST, reach Lioneye's Watch and choose Splitting Steel as your reward. Stash your inventory and then make a Shadow.
- Reach Lioneye's Watch and grab everything from your stash, including Splitting Steel.
- Complete the quests Mercy Mission and Breaking some Eggs.
- Talk to Nessa and choose Quicksilver Flask and ignore the gem.
- Talk to Tarkleigh and ignore the first gem and get Frostblink.
- Complete the quests Dweller of the Deep and The Caged Brute.
- Reach Lower Prison and use the Waypoint back to town, then talk to Nessa and grab: Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support.
- Talk to Tarkleigh to grab your Passive Skillpoint after Dweller of the Deep.
- Go back to Lower Prison, complete the Trial of Ascendancy, and slay Brutus.
- After killing Brutus, return to town and choose Flame Dash. This replaces Frostblink.
- Purchase Precision from Nessa. Be careful, as it reserves more mana depending on the level of gem.
- Complete the quest The Marooned Mariner and grab the waypoint in Merveil's Caverns.
- After killing Fairgraves and reaching the Waypoint in Merveil's Caverns, return to town and talk to Bestel for a Passive Skillpoint.
- Purchase Poisonous Concoction and Withering Step from Nessa, then complete The Siren's Cadence.
- Poisonous Concoction requires you to unequip the weapon slot, allowing you to still use a shield. Using this skill will consume your Life Flasks, so make sure to use at least two.
Act 1 Tips
- Note that The Way Forward is an Act 1 quest that is only completable in Act 2.
- Use a two-handed weapon base from level 8 until 12, then swap to a shield and nothing in your main hand.
- Equip a Sapphire Ring for Merveil to mitigate her Cold Damage. Kill her and move onto Act 2!
You're done with the Campaign and are ready to take on Path of Exile's Endgame. Priority 1 is capping your Elemental Resistances (75%) and having sufficient Attributes to continue leveling your Skill Gems. Use Essences you have gathered on any item that is not Magic or Rare already. Items with an open modifier slot can be crafted on. Head to the Crafting Bench and craft Resistances you need and Life wherever else possible.
Avoid (or cautiously run) the following modifiers:
- Avoid Chance to avoid Poison and Bleed because your Poison Damage goes down significantly!
- Take care of -% to maximum Resistances because you then get destroyed by Elemental Damage!
- Avoid Reduced Effect of Auras because it reduces your Armour and Evasion, making you vulnerable to attacks!
- Avoid Enemy Chaos Resistance since it significantly reduces your Damage!