Learn about Gear and Gear Progression for the Mage Spellblade Leveling Build.
Spellblade Gear Progression
While we make recommendations for all items make sure you pay special attention to your weapon. Weapons are a core part of your character's power and getting a higher level base weapon increases your damage significantly. A good way to get better weapon bases is to buy them at the Gambler NPC in the Council Chamber town and in the End of Time town. Upgrade or buy your next weapon each time you reach the appropriate level.
If you are lucky you might get a Rune of Ascendance while leveling. Use this first on boots to get unique boots such as Eterra's Path or Suloron's Step.
You might also drop useful uniques for this build such as Yrun's Wisdom, Woven Flesh, Prism Wraps, Aurora's Time Glass, Suloron's Step and Diothaen's Bloody Nib.
Gear Stats Priorities
- Vitality to bump your health up. Getting your health pool as high as possible is very important.
- Increased Cooldown Recovery Speed makes your experience smoother as it makes Enchant Weapon, Teleport and Flame Ward available more often.
- Melee Cold Damage, Critical Strike Multiplier and Cold Penetration are substantial boost to your damage as you have few sources of it outside of your gear.
- Elemental Damage, Melee Damage and Cold Damage are great to boost your damage.
- Critical Strike Chance is really important as very few amounts gets you to critical strike chance cap.
- Melee Attack Speed is also incredible to improve the damage and feeling of the build.
- Level of Glacier, Level of Mana Strike, Level of Shatter Strike, Level of Enchant Weapon, Level of Flame Ward, Level of Firebrand and Level of Teleport are very important as skill tree nodes provides a substantial boost to your character power.
- Flame Ward Charge and Added Ward makes you extra tanky by adding another maximum charge to Flame Ward.
- Health, Health and Hybrid Health to bump your health up. Getting your health pool as high as possible is very important.
- Fire Resistance, Lightning Resistance, Cold Resistance, Physical Resistance, Necrotic Resistance and Void Resistance to get your resistances to 75%. This is your second layer of defense, getting it capped to 75% is not vital.
- Dodge Rating and Armour are less important than health and resistances. This is your third layer of defense, getting some is useful, as you get 15% Dodge and Armour with little amount.
- Health Regen Per Second is a very effective way to regen health early, but it quickly falls off once you get other ways to regen.
- Chance to Chill on Hit, Chance to Slow on Hit and Chance to Apply Frailty on Hit are great secondary defensive stats.
- Chance To Shred Armour on Hit is really important as it provides another damage multiplier to the build.
- Health, Health, Vitality, Seconds of Stun Immunity after using Teleport, Chance to Gain 20 Ward on Melee Hit, Ward Retention, Ward Generated Per Second, Mana Spent Gained as Ward and resistances for extra defences.
- Critical Strike Chance, Melee Elemental Damage, Melee Cold Damage and Shared Cold Damage for big damage boosts.
Gearing Step by Step
- Level 2: Any Staff, two Jade Ring, Ruby Amulet and Runic Scroll.
- Level 6: Root Staff.
- Level 8: Refuge Boots and Adept Robes.
- Level 11: Start equipping Idols with Vitality, any type of resistance, Health, Health on Kill, Chance To Bleed On Hit, Chance To Poison On Hit and Chance To Ignite On Hit.
- Level 12: Third Eye.
- Level 13: Sacrificial Staff with Elemental Damage and Cold Damage if possible.
- Level 18: Copper Amulet.
- Level 19: Plated Belt.
- Level 23: Quarter Staff.
- Level 25: Two Gold Ring.