Learn how to scale your Damage and Defense in the Marrow Shards Lich Build to reach the different Endgame Activities like the Monolith, Dungeons and Arena.
This build shatters Marrow Shards to create a cone of Bone Splinters that pierce anything in their path and deal insane Damage. The Bone Splinters Physical projectiles are scaled to deal big Crits to enemies. This Lich also has great survivability thanks to the multiple defensive layers it can take advantage of.
- Low Life: Death Seal enables the Low Life playstyle thanks to Deadlock. In combination with the Dance with Death Passive and the Corrupted Consciousness Node, this ability provides incredibly Damage buffs for its duration.
- Flat Spell Damage: With the amount of Damage Multipliers this build has access to, you want to stack as much Flat Damage as possible. Since Marrow Shards doesn't cost any Mana this build can make use of a Gate Staff for the huge Damage Implicit while ignoring the Mana Cost downside. Grimoire of Necrotic Elixirs also grants a good amount of Necrotic Flat Spell Damage on Potion use, not ideal since the build scales Physical Damage, but still valuable.
- Level of Marrow Shards: Is crucial to invest more Points into its Skill Tree for more Damage.
- Increased Projectile Speed With Marrow Shards And Bone Nova: Marrow Shards can be an awkward Skill to use by default. This affix helps smoothen how the Skill feels and how reliably you can apply Damage with it.
- Cast Speed: The faster you attack the more Marrow Shards you cast and Ailments you apply.
- Intelligence: Marrow Shards and Bone Splinters gain 4% Damage per point of Intelligence.
- % Increased Damage: Anything that increases Physical Spell Damage is welcomed.
- Spell Critical Strike Chance: Deathbringer, Darkguard and the Reaper's Curse Node inside of Reaper Form give this tons of Spell Critical Strike Chance. It's easy to cap it for the Bone Splinters thanks to the Dark Precision Node inside Marrow Shards.
- Critical Strike Multiplier: Increases the Damage your Crits deal. Clairvoyant Insight grants 50% on its own. Build as much as you can on your gear.
- Grand Fury of the North: Since the build attacks so fast, it's extremely easy to apply 10 stacks of Physical Resistance Shred to your targets. 10 stacks increase the Damage enemies take by 50% (20% for Bosses). This Blessing plays a big part on your Damage output, so make sure you roll it nicely (45%+) and as early as possible.
- Chance To Shred Armour on Hit: Each stack of this Ailment reduces enemy Armour by 100 for 4 seconds and stacks infinitely. Enemies have 0 Armour by default and it can go into the negatives. At -1000 Armour a target takes 23.7% increased Physical Damage, while at -4000 Armour it takes 57.2%. With the amount of hits the build has, the stacks ramp up quickly.
- Penetration: Three Plagues grants 24% Physical Penetration.
- Mark for Death: Is an Ailment that reduces All Enemy Resistances by 25%, causing them to take extra Damage. You can apply it on hit thanks to Bone Curse. If you decide to use Aura Of Decay use the Loathing Node ant the Haunting Node inside Reaper Form instead.
- Chance To Fear On Hit: The Fear provided by the Idols helps keep enemies far away from you.
- Low Life: Death Seal enables the Low Life playstyle thanks to Deadlock. When active it provides 33% Damage Reduction. Combined with the Desperate Shroud Node, this ability grants incredibly Defensive buffs for its duration.
- Endurance: A defensive mechanic that allows you to take up to 60% less Damage while below a certain Health threshold. Due to the Low Life nature of the build, Endurance has insane value for this setup.
- Intelligence: Aside from gaining Damage per point of Intelligence with your Skills, this build also gains defenses from it. Reaper Form's Soul Shroud and Vile Shroud Nodes allow you to gain Resistances and Armour based on your total Intelligence.
- Bone Armor: Transplant provides this buff. It grants Flat Armour and Damage Reduction.
- Elixir of Death: Gain 50% Physical and Necrotic Damage Reduction while this buff is up. Combine it with the Damage Reduction granted by Grimoire of Necrotic Elixirs to turn into a juggernaut while you use a Potion and cast Death Seal.
- Health: This build can stack an insanely high Health pool that is very effective when combined with all the other defensive layers the Lich has. Acolytes have access to Large Immortal Idols with %Health; not all Classes have access to these amazing Idols! The more Health you have, the better the buffs granted by Death Seal's Desperate Shroud Node are.
- Armour Mitigation: This build can get really high Armour. Just with the implicit Armour from your gear, Bone Armor, Death Seal's Desperate Shroud Node, Reaper Form's Soul Shroud Node and Grand Body of Obsidian you can reach 50% to 70%+ Mitigation.
- Spell Leech: Marrow Shards doesn't cost any Mana to Cast but consumes your own Health instead. Survival of the Cruel, Ageless Ascetic and Soul Maw provide more than enough Leech necessary to sustain. Use it to keep Reaper Form up for as long as possible.
- Chill and Slow: Are Ailments that greatly reduce the Action and Movement Speed of your enemies. They are must haves on most builds, especially once you reach hard content with insane speed modifiers.
- Frailty: This Ailment reduces the Damage dealt by enemies by 6% for 4 seconds. Stacks 3 times.
- Ward and Ailment Cleansing on Potion Use: Cleanse all Ailments on Potion use.
- Aura Of Decay: If you decide to use this ability instead of Bone Curse, it provides a great Heal based on your total Health that helps mitigate the health cost from Marrow Shards and the Health lost per second from the Mind Over Body Passive.
Our Damage Explained Article covers all you need to know to scale Damage.
Learn all you need to know to scale Defense with our Defense Explained Article.
Recommended End Game Activities
Last Epoch has multiple end game activities with completely different roles and rewards. All the builds in Maxroll.gg have been tested and are designed to complete all available content. However, not all builds excel at doing the same activities. Make sure you are familiar with the end game strengths and weaknesses of your character.
The Monolith of Fate is the main end game system. Most of your character gear upgrades are found here. Once you get all of your desired Empowered Blessings, you can start pushing Corruption to increase your chances at finding incredible Exalted Items. The Monolith of Fate rewards speedy builds that are able to target farm Echo Reward Nodes or stack Timeline Stability as fast as possible.
This Lich is an amazing Monolith of Faith farmer. It's very safe, has good AoE and insane single target Damage. It's really fast at rushing objectives and is great for farming difficult content in high Corruption.
Your goals in the Monolith of Fate will differ greatly depending on what build you play and what stage your character progression is at. Here are the objectives you should aim at when playing this build:
- Reach Empowered Monolith as fast as possible.
- Farm your Combat Empowered Blessings. Prioritize gaining Timeline Stability and fight the Timeline Bosses as often as possible. Once you are done with one Timeline, move to the next one. Reach 200 Corruption to farm your desired Blessings faster, as it unlocks a 5th option to choose from after you defeat a Timeline Boss. Defeat the Shade of Orobyss to gain and transfer Corruption between Timelines.
- Get your Drop Rate Empowered Blessings.
- Farm for key Uniques. You need at least 200 Corruption to have a chance to drop an Omnis by killing the Shade of Orobyss.
- As you farm for Uniques, stack Corruption as high as your gear can handle. The higher Corruption you do, the more Items you find. Get your character ready for the other end game activities.
Every time you choose an Echo a Modifier comes attached with it, adding difficulty and changing how enemies behave. These Modifiers stay active for a maximum of 6 Echoes and stack with each other. Some Modifiers can handicap your build immensely while others can almost be ignored. Monolith Modifiers scale with Corruption and increase the Item Rarity of Echoes. Ideally you want to do the hardest content possible, without delaying your clear times. Keep up Item Rarity as high as you can without it slowing you down.
- Enemy Critical Strike Chance (Once you have 100% Critical Strike Avoidance).
- Enemies heal if they have not been damaged recently.
- Rare enemies have high speed and crit chance until approached.
- Rare enemies regenerate health.
Avoid these Modifiers
- Enemy chance to receive a Glancing Blow.
- Enemy Critical Strike Avoidance.
- Enemy chance to Dodge.
- High health enemies take less damage.
- High health enemies deal increased damage.
- Increased enemy Movement Speed.
- While bossing: enemies Enrage at half health and enemies gain Frenzy and Haste when hit.
Learn more about the Monolith of Fate with our Empowered Monolith Guide.
Dungeons are another important end game activity. All of them have an unique reward system attached that can only be accessed by defatting the Boss guarding it. They are divided by 4 Tiers of difficulty; it might take you some time to have a character strong enough to defeat Tier 4. Remember, Dungeons require specific Keys to enter them.
This Lich is a great Dungeon farmer and an amazing Boss killer. It requires Boss knowledge to know when to use Death Seal and not lose Reaper Form. Overall it has an easy time with all Dungeons.
When it comes to Dungeons, each build has different needs and should focus on the ones that fulfill them. Remember, each Dungeon comes with an unique Dungeon Skill. Make sure you are familiar with the different Dungeon Skills, Boss fights and Rewards before you attempt them.
Recommended Dungeons for this build:
- Temporal Sanctum: Since the build uses some Uniques, it requires to interact with the Eternity Cache often in order to upgrade any desirable Uniques you find with Legendary Potential. The Boss fight against Chronomancer Julra is very easy for any Lich, as many of her telegraphed attacks can be dodged with Reap or Transplant.
- Lightless Arbour: While the gold sink in the Vault of Uncertain Fate is not necessary for this build to progress, it has a decent time dealing with The Mountain Beneath and, as long as you are in Reaper Form, it's hard to die by a single mechanic. The Stone Titan's Heart is easier, just make sure to use Transplant to go over its moving lasers. Run this Dungeon when you have some excess Gold, be careful as it gets expensive really fast!
- Soulfire Bastion: Make sure you pay attention to the Damage type on the floor while fighting Fire Lich Cremorus and save Transplant to blink over the big telegraphed attacks. Overall this Dungeon and the Soul Gambler are low priority as nothing attached to them is relevant for the build.
Remember, if you struggle to do a particular Dungeon you can always dedicate a different character that shines against it to earn its reward. This is not possible if you play in any of the Solo Game Modes.
Check all of our Dungeon Guides if you want to learn more about their Bosses and rewards systems.
Use everything explained in the Gameplay and Build Scaling sections of this Build Guide to defeat them.
The Endless Arena is the main competitive game mode. It's all about the Ladder! While you might get some upgrades, the other end game activities are far superior for gearing up. The Endless Arena is not for everyone and only the best builds and players can reach the top. You need an Arena Key or an Arena Key of Memory to enter.
This Lich build is one of the best builds for competing in the Endless Arena. However, it does require good mechanics, game knowledge and positioning to reach the top of the Ladder.
Endless Arena Tips
Adjusting your playstyle to the build you are playing is mandatory to reach high waves. Use the easy early waves as a practice tool; learning about wave management, developing good habits and limit testing your build are very important things to become a better Endless Arena player.
Tips for playing this build in Arena:
- Make sure you always keep track of all 4 enemy packs. New waves do not spawn as long as there are two enemies of the current wave alive. Finish them up at the right time!
- Fight 1 spawn at a time, manipulate the enemy pathing with your positioning and engage on your terms.
- As a ranged build it is crucial to be far away from the spawns and the enemies. Find a safe spot!
- Enemy homing projectiles are really dangerous for this build. Juke them with Transplant and Reap or hide behind terrain.
- Make sure you use the Fear provided by your Idols to keep enemies away from you.
- Reset your Reaper Form if you can't out-leech the Degen.
- Target dangerous mobs first and finish them fast while Death Seal is active.
- Time Death Seal, Elixir of Death and Grimoire of Necrotic Elixirs properly for the Damage Reduction they provide. Don't engage while they are not active.
- Hold either Transplant or Reap for emergency situations.
Eager to get competitive? Check our Arena Guide!