Learn how to scale your Damage and Defense in the Holy Trail Javelin Paladin Build to reach the different Endgame Activities like the Monolith, Dungeons and Arena.
This Paladin uses Javelin to release Holy Trail, a deadly Spell that deals Lightning & Fire Damage Over Time and heals allies that stand on it. Scale your Healing Effectiveness and Lightning & Fire Damage Over Time as much as possible. This build also has decent survivability thanks to the multiple defensive layers it can take advantage of.
- Flat Spell Damage: With the amount of Damage Multipliers this build has access to, you want to stack as much Flat Damage as possible. Nodes like Heavenfire and Sanctuary Guardian grant raw Flat Spell Damage and are extremely valuable for DPS. Your Argent Sceptre grants up to 48 Flat Spell Damage.
- Increased Healing Effectiveness: This stat grants Flat Spell Damage to Holy Trail thanks to the Path of Judgement Node. Additionally, it improves the amount healed by your healing Skills. Holy Trail Heals for a base 25 HP per second. With the total Healing Effectiveness this build can stack, the Heal can be scaled by more than 10 times.
- Strength: Javelin and therefore Holy Trail gain 4% Damage per point of Strength. Additionally it grants 4% Armour per point, which adds a nice defensive layer for the build.
- Elemental Damage Over Time: This powerful Prefix has some of the highest numerical values of any offensive Affix in the game. This is a priority when it comes to scaling this build and its main source of Increased Damage.
- Sigils Of Hope: With this set up. they grant increased Damage and Healing Effectiveness.
- % Increased Damage: Anything that increases Lightning & Fire Damage Over Time is welcomed.
- Volatile Reversal: The Time Rifts and Harbinger of Dust Nodes apply a powerful debuff on your enemies that makes them take additional Damage.
- Lightning & Fire Penetration: Causes enemies to take extra Lightning Damage. The Conviction Passive grants a good amount. Combine Lunge's Torchbearer and Crusader's Fury Nodes to gain additional Fire Penetration with Lunge.
- Level of Javelin: Get this Prefix on your Relic to invest more Points into its Skill Tree.
- Armour Clad: Grants Damage Reduction and is crucial for any Sentinel's survivability.
- Block Chance: Block is a defensive mechanic that grants a chance to reduce the Damage taken from Hits. Whenever you take a Hit, your Block Chance is rolled to determine if you Block the Hit. On a successful Block, a percentage of the Damage is mitigated. This build can have anywhere between 50% and 100% block. Bastion of Honour is an incredible Shield for the setup.
- Block Effectiveness: The percentage of Damage reduced on Block depends on how much Block Effectiveness you have. The percentage cannot exceed 85%. The Grand Bones of Eternity blessing is an exceptional source of Block Effectiveness. Additionally, Sentinels have access to the Block Effectiveness Suffix on their Idols.
- Endurance: It allows you to take up to 60% less Damage while below a certain Health threshold. Your base Endurance Threshold is equal to 20% of your total Health pool.
- Strength: Grants 4% Armour per point.
- Armour Mitigation: This setup can get insanely high Armour. Combine the Armour from your Item Implicits, Grand Body of Obsidian Blessing and all the %Armour this build has to reach 40% to 60%+ Mitigation. This is huge on top of all the other defensive layers the build has.
- Health: This build can stack a decent Health pool that can surpass the 5000 mark. Health is very effective when combined with all the other defensive layers.
- Increased Healing Effectiveness: This stat improves the amount healed by your healing Skills. Holy Trail triggered by Javelin Heals for a base 25 HP per second. With the total Healing Effectiveness this build can stack, the Heal can be scaled by more than 10 times. Additionally this stat grants Flat Spell Damage to Holy Trail thanks to the Path of Judgement Node.
- Leech: Grand Hunger of the Void provides tons of Leech for the build.
- Chill and Slow: Are Ailments that greatly reduce the Action and Movement Speed of your enemies. They are must haves on most builds, especially once you reach hard content with insane speed modifiers. This build struggles to apply Chill as it doesn't hit often, but can apply Slow to enemies reliably with Holy Aura's Demoralizing Aura Node.
- Frailty: Enemies affected by this Ailment deal 6% less Damage (can stack 3 times). Lunge's Disarming Blow Node is your only reliable source of Frailty with this build.
- Ward and Ailment Cleansing on Potion Use: Cleanse all Ailments on Potion use.
Our Damage Explained Article covers all you need to know to scale Damage.
Learn all you need to know to scale Defense with our Defense Explained Article.
Recommended End Game Activities
Last Epoch has multiple end game activities with completely different roles and rewards. All the builds in Maxroll.gg have been tested and are designed to complete all available content. However, not all builds excel at doing the same activities. Make sure you are familiar with the end game strengths and weaknesses of your character.
The Monolith of Fate is the main end game system. Most of your character gear upgrades are found here. Once you get all of your desired Empowered Blessings, you can start pushing Corruption to increase your chances at finding incredible Exalted Items. The Monolith of Fate rewards speedy builds that are able to target farm Echo Reward Nodes or stack Timeline Stability as fast as possible.
This Paladin is an amazing Monolith of Faith farmers. It has great AoE and its playstyle is really efficient while mapping. Since it's also a tanky build with great heals, it's an amazing setup for farming content in high Corruption.
Your goals in the Monolith of Fate will differ greatly depending on what build you play and what stage your character progression is at. Here are the objectives you should aim at when playing this build:
- Reach Empowered Monolith as fast as possible.
- Farm your Combat Empowered Blessings. Prioritize gaining Timeline Stability and fight the Timeline Bosses as often as possible. Once you are done with one Timeline, move to the next one. Reach 200 Corruption to farm your desired Blessings faster, as it unlocks a 5th option to choose from after you defeat a Timeline Boss. Defeat the Shade of Orobyss to gain and transfer Corruption between Timelines.
- Finish up the rest of your Drop Rate Empowered Blessings.
- Farm for key Uniques.
- As you farm for Uniques, stack Corruption as high as your gear can handle. The higher Corruption you do, the more Items you find. Get your character ready for the other end game activities.
Every time you choose an Echo a Modifier comes attached with it, adding difficulty and changing how enemies behave. These Modifiers stay active for a maximum of 6 Echoes and stack with each other. Some Modifiers can handicap your build immensely while others can almost be ignored. Monolith Modifiers scale with Corruption and increase the Item Rarity of Echoes. Ideally you want to do the hardest content possible, without delaying your clear times. Keep up Item Rarity as high as you can without it slowing you down.
- Enemy Critical Strike Avoidance.
- Enemy Critical Strike Chance (Once you have 100% Critical Strike Avoidance).
- Enemy chance to receive a Glancing Blow.
- Enemy chance to Dodge.
Avoid these Modifiers
- High health enemies take less damage.
- High health enemies deal increased damage.
- Increased enemy Movement Speed.
- While bossing: enemies Enrage at half health and enemies gain Frenzy and Haste when hit.
Learn more about the Monolith of Fate with our Empowered Monolith Guide.
Dungeons are another important end game activity. All of them have an unique reward system attached that can only be accessed by defatting the Boss guarding it. They are divided by 4 Tiers of difficulty; it might take you some time to have a character strong enough to defeat Tier 4. Remember, Dungeons require specific Keys to enter them.
This Paladin is a good Dungeon farmer due to its survivability and sustain. However, its single target DPS can be missed and has downtime, leading to slower kill times. Regardless, it has an easy time with all the Dungeons and can defeat all T4 Bosses.
When it comes to Dungeons, each build has different needs and should focus on the ones that fulfill them. Remember, each Dungeon comes with an unique Dungeon Skill. Make sure you are familiar with the different Dungeon Skills, Boss fights and Rewards before you attempt them.
Recommended Dungeons for this build:
- Temporal Sanctum: You need to interact with the Eternity Cache to upgrade any desirable Uniques you find with Legendary Potential. The Boss fight against Chronomancer Julra is fairly easy for any Sentinel, as they can get out of her telegraphed attacks with the multiple mobility Skill available to them. Stay on top of your own Holy Trail to get healed. Additionally, you can place unspecced Rebuke on your Skill bar and use it before taking Damage.
- Lightless Arbour: While the gold sink in the Vault of Uncertain Fate is not necessary for this build to progress, it has a decent time dealing with The Mountain Beneath and, thanks to the Rebuke swap mentioned above, his most dangerous attacks can be trivialized. The Stone Titan's Heart is easier, just make sure to avoid its moving lasers. Remember, stay on top of your own Holy Trail to get healed. Run this Dungeon when you have some excess Gold, be careful as it gets expensive really fast!
- Soulfire Bastion: Make sure you pay attention to the Damage type on the floor while fighting Fire Lich Cremorus, maximize the Holy Trail heal and use the Rebuke swap to tank the big telegraphed attacks if you struggle. Overall this Dungeon and the Soul Gambler are low priority as nothing attached to them is relevant for the build.
Remember that T4 Dungeons are hard pinnacle content that can only be defeated with well geared characters. If your build struggles against a particular Dungeon you can always dedicate a different setup that shines against it to earn its reward. This is not possible if you play in any of the Solo Game Modes.
Check all of our Dungeon Guides if you want to learn more about their Bosses and rewards systems.
Use everything explained in the Gameplay and Build Scaling sections of this Build Guide to defeat them.
The Endless Arena is the main competitive game mode. It's all about the Ladder! While you might get some upgrades, the other end game activities are far superior for gearing up. The Endless Arena is not for everyone and only the best builds and players can reach the top. You need an Arena Key or an Arena Key of Memory to enter.
This Forge guard build is decent for competing in the Endless Arena, but struggles against really high Waves. It's playstyle depends heavily on Cooldowns and it's easy to make mechanical or positional mistakes that get punished by enemies.
Endless Arena Tips
Adjusting your playstyle to the build you are playing is mandatory to reach high waves. Use the easy early waves as a practice tool; learning about wave management, developing good habits and limit-testing your build are very important things to become a better Endless Arena player.
Tips for playing this build in Arena:
- Make sure you always keep track of all 4 enemy packs. New waves do not spawn as long as there are two enemies of the current wave alive. Finish them up at the right time!
- Fight 1 spawn at a time, manipulate the enemy pathing with your positioning and engage on your terms.
- As a ranged build it is crucial to be far away from the spawns and the enemies. Find a safe spot!
- Target ranged threats first. Deal with the rest of enemies once the ranged ones are taken care of.
- Enemy homing projectiles are really dangerous. Use your Movement Skills to engage them or hide behind terrain.
- Stay on top of your own Holy Trail to get healed. Funnel enemies into it when they group up.
- Maintain 4 Sigils Of Hope up at all times for the powerful buffs they provide.
- Use Volatile Reversal for extra Damage against dangerous threats.
- Hold a Movement Skill to disengage for emergency situations.
Eager to get competitive? Check our Arena Guide!