Carnevil builds and their unique playstyle that revolves around Poison Dart being shot by hordes of Fetishes have been around for the longest time, starting in Season 3. Zunimassa's Haunt got buffed from 5,500% to a whopping 15,000% damage increase in Season 16 but it is only with Season 17 buffing Carnevil and The Dagger of Darts that this build became one of the strongest Witch Doctor (WD) setups in the game.
Carnevil can also be played using Legacy of Nightmares or Legacy of Dreams which allow for way more flexibility in terms of gearing and skill setup choices, at the cost of some power unfortunately. Anyways, Zuni Dart is the best setup to compete on the Zunimassa leaderboard if you're willing to do so!
This build enables a completely unique playstyle where you have to manage your Fetishes very carefully in order to wreak havoc on your opponents. Positioning is absolutely critical as only the 10 Fetishes closest to you shoot a Poison Dart when you do, aiming where your cursor is. Let's get into it!
Ranged WD Build ✔
Fast Attack Speed ✔
Unique Pet Playstyle ✔
High Single Target Damage ✔
❌ Very Squishy
❌ Lack of Mobility
❌ Low AoE Damage
❌ Rarely gets an Oculus Proc
- The Zunimassa's Haunt (6) Bonus is where the majority of our damage comes from, while the Zunimassa's Haunt (4) Bonus grants us a tremendous toughness boost depending on our Fetish count.
- We add another damage buff with The Dagger of Darts which will also make our Poison Darts pierce targets.
- Carnevil is the core item that makes this build work as 10 of your Fetishes will now shoot a powerful Poison Dart whenever you do. This, in combination with the Zunimassa's Haunt (6) Bonus, is the main reason why our pets deal all the damage in this particular build!
- Mask of Jeram increases all pet damage by 200%. This is an elemental damage increase and additive with elemental damage on our Bracers and Amulet and the reason why that attribute is not as important as in other builds.
- Depth Diggers gives us another 100% damage boost on our main skill Poison Dart.
- The Witching Hour is used in every setup for the Attack Speed and Critical Hit Damage which are great offensive stats.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur helps us to complement Zunimassa's Haunt with Aughild's Authority and other supporting items.
- On the Jewelry slots, options can include Squirt's Necklace, The Compass Rose & The Travelers Pledge or Convention of Elements.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires The Dagger of Darts and Echoing Fury to be functional. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with In-geom power, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- The Gidbinn - This is the Ethereal we absolutely want as it is the only one granting 200% damage to Voodoo Skills, which includes Fetishes. Its high Attack Speed is very beneficial to us as well.
- Ghostflame and Arioc's Needle - These are better than normal Weapons but they're not giving 200% damage to Fetishes, hence they are both tremendously weaker than The Gidbinn.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad and good rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
Make sure to optimize your Attack Speed to reach certain Breakpoints. For this build Attack Speed is one of the most important stat as Fetishes benefit twice from it (see Mechanics).
- As Carnevil makes your Fetishes scale with your attacks you want to aim for a decent Breakpoint on the Poison Dart.
- Furthermore your pets damage per shot also scales with Attack Speed as a separate multiplier. So even if additional Attack Speed does not give you an extra Breakpoint it is still worth getting it and one of the most important stat!
For the solo setups you do not need any Cooldown Reduction. In speed runs however it makes sense to stack around 40%-50% to keep up Big Bad Voodoo with the help of Grave Injustice.
- Very squishy and damage output depends on the players position.
- Heavy AoE-damage when Echoing Fury activates.
- Positioning is crucial!
- A Legacy of Dreams version is possible with less damage but way more toughness.
This build is fun to play with a good pushing potential but lacks a lot in toughness and consistency. If you want to check out another strong WD build, take a look at the Mundunugu Witch Doctor.
I hope you enjoyed the guide! Cheers!
Guide by Rob with special help from Chewingnom. Updated by wudijo & Chewingnom.