The Whirlwind (WW) Barbarian uses the Wrath of the Wastes set and has become one of the strongest builds in the game after having Rend added to its bonus. The core concept is that Whirlwind applies the Damage over Time (DoT) effect from Rend using Ambo's Pride. You spin and move through the monster while DoTing and killing them quickly.
Some people call this build "Rend Barb" while others call it "Whirlwind Barb", however the build's main damage comes from Rend as Whirlwind just applies the Rend to do all the damage.
This build excels many other build in Diablo at Speed farming content as is is lighting quick and deals a tremendous amount of damage while constantly moving. Due to the pulling power of Ancient Spear Rage Flip and Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash this build is also excellent for high solo push on the leaderboards. So let's get started!
Very Mobile ✔
Easy Gameplay ✔
One of the Strongest Builds ✔
Deals Damage while Moving ✔
❌ Cooldown Dependency
❌ Band of Might Dependency
❌ No Full Area Damage Benefit
❌ Easy to Play Difficult to Master
- We use the Wrath of the Wastes set for the crazy damage increase and toughness while channeling Whirlwind and for three seconds after.
- Lamentation provides a Rend damage buff and makes Rend stack twice on the same target.
- Ambo's Pride lets us apply the damage over time from Rend in just 1 second.
- On Jewelry slots you can choose between:
Squirt's Necklace, Focus & Restraint, Convention of Elements for multiplicative damage or Band of Might for an insane toughness boost.
- Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac can be a nice alternative for Cooldown Reduction but you have to lose a damage multiplier to equip it.
- In the Weapon slot we can use Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom for Cooldown Reduction as well as Echoing Fury for the Movement Speed.
Global Stat Priorities
Aim for around 45-50% Cooldown Reduction to ensure permanent Wrath of the Berserker, use Boon of Bul-kathos and complementary Cooldown Reduction items like Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom.
Rend damage does not scale with Attack Speed so we do not need to reach any Breakpoints here!
- Overall very powerful build that can be used to farm anything in the game whether it is keys, bounties or experience without changing all too much!
- Very tanky and hardcore friendly especially with the Band of Might setup!
- The strongest solo push build Barb currently has!
- Easy to play the base version but difficult to master in Solo Pushes!
- Shoutouts to sVr for mechanical testing on Rend and Ambo's Pride.
Let's hope we can get other builds up to speed soon. Don't forget to check out this amazing suggestion post by Free and the Barbarian Community. Keep it up fellows!
Guide by Rob.