The Whirlwind (WW) Barbarian uses the Wrath of the Wastes set and has become one of the strongest builds in the game after having Rend added to its bonus. The core concept is that Whirlwind applies the Damage over Time (DoT) effect from Rend using Ambo's Pride. You spin and move through the monster while DoTing and killing them quickly.
Some people call this build "Rend Barb" while others call it "Whirlwind Barb", however the build's main damage comes from Rend as Whirlwind just applies the Rend to do all the damage.
This build excels many other builds in Diablo at Speed farming content as is is lighting quick and deals a tremendous amount of damage while constantly moving. Due to the pulling power of Ancient Spear Rage Flip and Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash this build is also excellent for high solo push on the leaderboards. So let's get started!
Very Mobile ✔
Easy Gameplay ✔
One of the Strongest Builds ✔
Deals Damage while Moving ✔
❌ Cooldown Dependency
❌ Band of Might Dependency
❌ No Full Area Damage Benefit
❌ Easy to Play Difficult to Master
- We use the Wrath of the Wastes set for the crazy damage increase and toughness while channeling Whirlwind and for three seconds after.
- Lamentation provides a Rend damage buff and makes Rend stack twice on the same target.
- Ambo's Pride lets us apply the damage over time from Rend in just 1 second.
- On Jewelry slots you can choose between:
Squirt's Necklace, Focus & Restraint, Convention of Elements for multiplicative damage or Band of Might for an insane toughness boost.
- Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac can be a nice alternative for Cooldown Reduction but you have to lose a damage multiplier to equip it.
- In the Weapon slot we can use Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom for Cooldown Reduction as well as Echoing Fury for the Movement Speed.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Ambo's Pride to be functional. On top of that The Furnace is a good pushing Legendary power. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury, In-geom or Messerschmidt's Reaver powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- The Grandfather - This is the best Ethereal for pushing with its high Two-Handed Weapon average damage and its high Attack Speed complemented by Cooldown Reduction!
- Gimmershred - This is the best choice for speed content and boss killing as it is a One-Handed Weapon with decent Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction, Elite Damage and a Movement Speed buff!
- Doombringer - This is the back-up option. It has regular Attack Speed and no Cooldown Reduction but applies a 25% damage reduction debuff on hit.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
Aim for around 45-50% Cooldown Reduction to ensure permanent Wrath of the Berserker, use Boon of Bul-kathos and complementary Cooldown Reduction items like Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom.
Rend damage does not scale with Attack Speed so we do not need to reach any Breakpoints here!
- Overall very powerful build that can be used to farm anything in the game whether it is keys, bounties or experience without changing all too much!
- Very tanky and hardcore friendly especially with the Band of Might setup!
- The strongest solo push build Barb currently has!
- Easy to play the base version but difficult to master in Solo Pushes!
- Shoutouts to sVr and Rage for mechanical testing on Rend and Ambo's Pride.
Let's hope we can get other builds up to speed soon. Don't forget to check out this amazing suggestion post by Free and the Barbarian Community. Keep it up fellows!
Guide by Rob.