Welcome to the Uliana's Stratagem Exploding Palm Monk! Released in Season 4, Uliana's Stratagem has been buffed in Season 22 and can still be effective nowadays, boasting a unique and exciting playstyle. If bringing monsters to a catastrophic demise with teleporting Exploding Palm sounds fun to you, you're in the right place.
While Exploding Palm will be your main source of damage, the skill you'll be using the most is Seven-Sided Strike. Unfortunately, it's not a very strong skill but it's certainly way up there when it comes to the cool factor. With all the Cooldown Reduction this build is stacking you will be able to veritably spam Seven-Sided Strike, filling your heart with joy.
The strongest pushing variant of the build uses Shenlong's Spirit set, because there's not enough Exploding Palm multipliers. While you have other weapon options that buff your Seven-Sided Strike, they do nothing for natural explosions you get by killing monsters.
In terms of power however, this build somewhat lacking. Thanks to the power of Dashing Strike + In-Geom you can farm Nephalem Rifts decently well with it, but it won't carry you very far when it comes to pushing or GR farming. Although, of course, this build will be on the top of Uliana's Stratagem leaderboards (by the virtue of being the only Uliana build).
Highly Mobile ✔
Massive Explosions ✔
Great for Speed Content ✔
The Coolest Build in the Game ✔
❌ Struggles in High GR's
❌ Very Cooldown Dependant
❌ Poor Single Target Damage
❌ Requires Strategic Play for Pushing
- Uliana's Stratagem grants our Exploding Palm 9000% damage as well as making our Way of the Hundred Fists apply Exploding Palm and our Seven-Sided Strike will detonate it on hit. The new (4) Bonus added during Season 22 gives us 77% damage reduction for 7 seconds after applying Exploding Palm.
- Captain Crimson's Trimmings gives us Cooldown Reduction as well as a massive damage increase.
- The Fist of Az'Turrasq increases our Exploding Palm damage by 500%.
- Lion's Claw allows Seven-Sided Strike to attack seven more times, effectively doubling our damage output.
- Gungdo Gear causes Exploding Palm to spread it's effect to surrounding enemies during it's explosion and increases its damage by 100%.
- The Flow of Eternity increases our Seven-Sided Strike damage by 100% and its cooldown is reduced by 60%.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur allows us to utilize both Uliana's Stratagem and Captain Crimson's Trimmings.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Lion's Claw, The Fist of Az'Turrasq and The Flow of Eternity to be functional. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury, In-geom or Messerschmidt's Reaver powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- Bartuc's Cut-Throat - This is the best Ethereal here with its 10% Critical Hit Chance and double damage against single targets that helps us with lengthy Rift Guardian fights.
- Jade Talon - This Ethereal provides Spirit on Critical Hit and Attack Speed but this build needs neither. Attack Speed helps with Bane of the Stricken stacking, but that's not nearly as good as double damage.
- Shadow Killer - This is the defensive option with its 10% Resource Cost Reduction and 25% damage reduction debuff on monsters, but this build is already very tanky so this is definitely overkill.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
Our offensive priorities are: Cooldown Reduction > Cold Damage > Critical Hit Chance > Critical Hit Damage ~ Damage Range > Area Damage > Exploding Palm damage. Cooldown Reduction is extremely important here because it basically serves as our Attack Speed letting us use more Seven-Sided Strikes and also gives more damage via Captain Crimson's Trimmings (3) Bonus and also gives you higher uptime on Epiphany.
- Set up your Mythic Rhythm passive.
- Use Way of the Hundred Fists to refresh Exploding Palm on enemies, then use Seven-Sided Strike to detonate the explosions and spread them around with Gungdo Gear.
- Cast Cyclone Strike to group up the enemies onto elites to hit them with maximum area damage right before the Cold Convention of Elements cycle.
- Stay mobile, drag elite packs to more density, and detonate them back to hell!
Town Is Lava!
Guide by Northwar and Raxxanterax. Updates by Northwar & wudijo.