The Unhallowed Essence set is a staple of the Demon Hunter class and has been one of the best speedfarming setups in the game for years. It has a very simple principle and embodies the core of what DH gameplay is about: incredibly mobile, long-range, heavy damage burst, stutter-stepping and a high mechanical skill ceiling.
This build is very easy to get running and has perks that make it accessible to less experienced players. As one of the top dogs in T16 Rifts, and virtually the Bounty build due to its versatility, damage and high speed, it will always find a place somewhere in the META. It's not the best for pushing the highest tiers, but it can hold up decently against other midrange builds there. This makes UE a classic for the Demon Hunter fantasy.
Multishot is the main skill in the setup and its main ability is hitting everything on your screen at once. In Nephalem Rifts, where monster HP is capped, you can even oneshot everything, instantly clearing the entire room as well as couple of unlucky mobs outside of it.
Many enjoy the build for being easy to play and an effective midrange farmer. For Bounties, there is very little competition and many players indeed build a UE Demon Hunter specifically for that purpose. If you are playing anything except Monk, then it will cost you approximately 30 minutes and 2000 Death's Breaths to build from zero a UE Demon Hunter that will do Bounties faster than any build your class has to offer.
Beginner friendly ✔
Top farming build ✔
Very high skill ceiling ✔
Clears entire screens at once ✔
❌ Pushing needs practice
❌ Low synergies in parties
❌ Weaker than other push builds
❌ Requires resource management
- Unhallowed Essence provides roughly x500 Multishot damage increase, 60% damage reduction and also allows you to restore your Discipline with your Primary skills.
- Yang's Recurve is one of two key legendary items, on top of the 200% damage bonus and 50% Attack Speed, it also adds up to 50% Resource Cost Reduction as a free fifth primary roll.
- Dead Man's Legacy is another huge damage buff of 200% and the double-hit effect, which translates to approximately 43% increased DPS.
- Dawn will be your cubed weapon slot for permanent Vengeance uptime.
- Captain Crimon's Trimmings set is used to fit the Cooldown requirements for Vengeance and for great defensive synergy with Yang's Recurve
- Ring of Royal Grandeur is necessary to get full benefits from both sets. It's placed in the cube in every variant, because of bad guaranteed primary rolls.
Global Stat Priorities
Especially important for almost any DH build is reaching permanent Vengeance uptime. This is achievable through the 65% Cooldown Reduction effect provided by Dawn (cubed) and having 37% Cooldown Reduction on your character. What you will usually use is the Flawless Royal Diamond in your Helm slot, 10% from Paragon Points and Captain Crimson's Trimmings (2) Bonus.
Aside from that, Maximum Discipline is the best stat you can have, which is a secondary roll on Bows, Quivers and Cloaks. Make sure you get as much as possible, but don't worry too much about a one or two missing points. For Attack Speed you want either 0 or 1 roll, going for more is not worth it. Other than that, you want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Crit stats, Fire Damage, Multishot Damage, and lastly Area Damage (only in push variant). The rest goes to defense - especially All Resistance on Pants, Boots, Shoulders is important - mixed in with some Vitality rolls and perhaps Elite Damage Reduction on your chest piece. In addition to its regular benefits, Resource Cost Reduction is also a decent defensive option due to the set synergy.
video under construction
- Reach the necessary Cooldown Reduction for permanent Vengeance (37%) and use it every 20 seconds.
- Keep up buffs (Wraps of Clarity, Bastions of Will) at all times.
- Position yourself to hit most enemies with your cone-shaped Multishot AoE.
- Keep your Discipline high as it directly scales your damage output.
Guide by Northwar and wudijo
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Unhallowed Essence is an ideal build for both beginners and veterans alike any anyone who enjoys to mow down enemies with a barrage of arrows.