Welcome to a guide for Trag'Oul's Avatar, a unique set that allows the Necromancer to literally tear himself to pieces for short bursts of damage. Playing a build that goes from 0 to 100 in an instant is not for the feint of heart as you are constantly on the hunt for more Elites to snipe down when your next damage cycle is ready. Come learn how to play this Elite-sniping machine.
Cut-throat playstyle ✔
Crazy damage burst ✔
Easy to get starter gear ✔
Unique elite hunter playstyle ✔
❌ Very squishy
❌ No AoE damage
❌ Zero damage in downtime
❌ Heavy cooldown dependency
- Trag'Oul's Avatar grants us every rune on our Blood Rush as well as a 3800% damage buff to our life-spending skills. We also get 100% healing from these skills and our healing can double our maximum life.
- Jesseth Arms gives a 400% damage buff as long as our Skeletons are commanded to attack a target.
- Captain Crimson's Trimmings is a great addition to this build since it provides a massive boost to Cooldown Reduction but also damage and toughness.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur is mandatory to complete our Captain Crimson's Trimmings and Trag'Oul's Avatar sets.
- The Johnstone makes our next 50 Corpse Lances do 200% more damage after our Land of the Dead ends.
- Krysbin's Sentence for the 300% damage increase against enemies under a Hard Crowd Control effect.
- Convention of Elements for 200% damage during our Physical cycle.
- Reilena's Shadowhook gives 0.5% damage for every point of Maximum Essence we have for a massive damage increase.
- Corpsewhisper Pauldrons increases our damage by 30% for each corpse we've consumed, stacking up to 20 times for a 600% separate damage multiplier.
- Strongarm Bracers provide a 30% additive damage bonus if you manage to hit enemies with a knockback during your damage phases. This can be done with secondary rolls on the item itself as well as the weapon and offhand slots.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Jesseth Arms and either Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang or Reilena's Shadowhook to be functional. Since we Ethereals don't come with set powers, the two Legendary powers have to be combined and the setup slightly changed to include both a curse and Simulacrum while dropping Command Skeletons. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury, In-geom or Messerschmidt's Reaver powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- Blackbog's Sharp - This is by far the best option here. The Damage Stacking effect has perfect synergy with our playstyle.
- Soul Harvest - This is the second Ethereal and allows you to aim for the 2.4 APS Breakpoint because of its Attack Speed bonus. It's also a great weapon for farming.
- Blackhand Key - This weapon is not recommended because the fear effect will make enemies unfreeze earlier during Land of the Dead Frozen Lands due to Crowd Control Resistance.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
Our offensive priorities are: Cooldown Reduction > Attack Speed > Critical Hit Damage > Physical Damage > Critical Hit Chance along with as much Corpse Lance Damage as possible.
Corpse Lance has a very short base animation length of 12 FPA, which means its scaling with Attack Speed is extremely good. Hence we're going to take Attack Speed on our Weapon and both Rings combined with Focused Mind from our follower so that we can get to the 2.0 Attack Speed Breakpoint and maximize our fire rate for Corpse Lance.
S23 Video Guide coming soon!
- Focus on obtaining the Trag'Oul's Avatar set as well as the Jesseth Arms pieces first, then dive into some bounties so you can obtain your Ring of Royal Grandeur as well as getting the necessary materials to craft your Captain Crimson's Trimmings set.
- Gather the core items shown in the beginning: Reilena's Shadowhook, Corpsewhisper Pauldrons, Convention of Elements, Krysbin's Sentence and The Johnstone.
- Maximize Cooldown Reduction on your gear and get to the 2.0 Attack Speed Breakpoint for maximum Lancing.
- Pick your Elite targets well and learn to fight around your Physical cycle of Convention of Elements .
- Stay mobile, gather large packs of enemies and utilize your Land of the Dead to do maximum damage when the time is right!
Town Is Lava!
Original Guide by Raxxanterax. Updated by wudijo.