The Tal Rasha's Elements Set is probably the most iconic Wizard set in the Diablo franchise, originating from Diablo II where it was the Sorceress set. Over the years, Tal Rasha's Elements dictated the META multiple times. First in Season 3 with Mammoth Hydra using Pain Enhancer to get an obscene amount of Flame Blades stacks, uncapped back then. It returned in Season 6 with Vyr's Amazing Arcana (4) Bonus during the glory days of the Archon Twister zET META.
One of the most popular and useful one these days besides Energy Twister is Arcane Orb Frozen Orb. Season 22 brought this build into the spotlight for Wizard players once again, able to play once again the iconic Frozen Orb from Diablo II.
It’s quick, impactful and the explosions are very satisfying when played correctly. Very few builds incorporate the fantasy of a spell-slinging Wizard as well as this one. It's also possible to play this build as a LoD variant, which frees up skill slots and allows lots of utility choices.
While it’s not the best in fast content such as Nephalem Rifts, it can be quite successful in Greater Rifts push on the Tal Rasha's Elements leaderboard. The basic idea is to trap enemies and stack them up by using of Black Hole and unleash devastating icy explosions onto them from the right distance.
Iconic Frozen Orb ✔
Rewards Good Gameplay ✔
Not Channeling Playstyle ✔
Fun and Satisfying Explosions ✔
❌ Needs Setup Time
❌ Struggles to Kill Elites
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
❌ Difficult to Execute Perfectly
- Tal Rasha's Elements provides us with a 8,000% separate global damage multiplier but requires us to juggle four abilities with four different elements Arcane, Cold, Lightning and Fire.
- Unstable Scepter is our core weapon, providing a 450% separate damage multiplier and a second explosion for Frozen Orbs, nearly doubling our total damage.
- Triumvirate grants us a stacking 400% damage buff for a total 1,200% separate damage multiplier to Frozen Orb when using Signature Spells.
- Wizardspike was buffed in Season 22 to grant another 350% separate damage multiplier on top of a 25% chance to cast an extra Frozen Orb when attacking.
- Aquila Cuirass grants us a welcomed 50% damage reduction for Greater Rift push.
- Halo of Karini is a core Wizard defensive item, providing us with a tremendous 80% damage reduction at the cost of using Storm Armor.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur allows us to complement our Tal Rasha's Elements Set with Captain Crimson's Trimmings.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Unstable Scepter and Wizardspike to be functional. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Aether Walker, In-geom or Messerschmidt's Reaver powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- Wizardspike - This is the best Ethereal for this build due to its high Attack Speed and its Damage Stacking special affix, especially in Greater Rift push.
- The Oculus - This is a good alternative due to its high Arcane Power on Critical Hit and Elite Damage affixes, especially for speed content where the Damage Stacking mechanic from Wizardspike is not important.
- Mang Song's Lesson - This is a Two-Handed Staff meaning we can't use it as we have two Weapons and a Off-Hand that grant us massive damage multipliers.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Critical Hit Chance and Damage, Area Damage as well as Cold Damage and Arcane Orb Damage. The remaining options go to Attack Speed or Damage Range (Rings) and Defense or Resource Cost Reduction whenever you can fit it in. It is required to get Arcane Power on Critical Hit (APoC) on your Off-Hand in order to keep shooting Frozen Orbs, especially for Rift Guardian fights.
- Keep up your Storm Armor for Halo of Karini buff at all times.
- Don't forget to use your abilities to keep up your four Tal Rasha's Elements stacks.
- Activate your Triumvirate bonus by using your Signature Spells regularly.
- Pull enemies together with Black Hole to stack them tightly and prevent them from moving.
- Position yourself at the right distance to explode Arcane Orb Frozen Orb directly on top of the enemies.
- Play around the Convention of Elements cycle to maximize your damage.
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Frozen Orb is one of the core Wizard skills, and Tal Rasha Elements the most iconic Wizard set in Diablo. It can be very fun and rewarding setting up the correct pulls and destroying them with your icy explosions. Good luck!
Guide by Chewingnom with insights from LouLou.