The Explosive Blast Wizard is one of the most iconic Wizard builds since the expansion Reaper of Souls and the introduction of Wand of Woh. Ever since Wizards around the world have been, quite literally, blasting their way through hordes of enemies in Sanctuary. The build can technically be played as a Legacy of Dreams, Firebirds Finery and even Delseres Magnum Opus variant, however it is most commonly played with Tal Rashas Elements due to its crossover capabilities with Aughild's Authority, Sage's Journey, Cain's Destiny or Captain Crimson's Trimmings.
All variants have one thing in common: they are incredibly reliant on Cooldown Reduction and therefore In-geom dependent. Your goal is, after the first elite kill, to ride on a 'wave of consecutive In-geom procs' straight to the end of the rift.
In terms of playstyle Tal Rasha's Elements Explosive Blast (Tal EB) plays uniquely. You are continuously teleporting, running and mindlessly spamming Frost Nova, Explosive Blast and Diamond Skin plowing through hordes of enemies. Those three skills do not have a casting animation, meaning your character won't need to stop running to cast them and you'll be granted shields from Magic Weapon Deflection. This synergy allows you to blast your enemies comfortably.
High Mobility ✔
Beginner Friendly ✔
Unique & Flavourful ✔
Extremely Easy Playstyle ✔
❌ In-Geom Dependent
❌ Requires Good Gear
❌ Incapable of High GRs
❌ Clunky and Weak at Rift Start
- Tal Rasha's Elements provides us with a 8,000% separate global damage multiplier but requires us to juggle four abilities with four different elements Arcane, Cold, Lightning and Fire.
- Wand of Woh grants us 3 additional casts of Explosive Blasts and is also a 400% separate damage multiplier.
- Orb of Infinite Depth provides up to 80% damage reduction and a 40% separate damage multiplier.
- In-geom requires us to kill Elites in quick succession, however provides us with flat -10 seconds on all cooldowns, which is insane for Explosive Blast.
- Nemesis Bracers spawns an Elite pack each time we click a Shrine or Pylon, which tremendously helps with In-geom uptime. Our follower wear them for us.
- Squirts Necklace is a default inclusion for Wizards in any build due to their shield strength. Protecting our HP pool for a 100% global separate damage multiplier with continuously refreshing shields is a Wizard speciality.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur lets us wear one fewer Set item, allowing us to equip additional legendary items.
- Captain Crimsons Trimmings not only reduces our cooldowns by additional 20% but also grants us a separate damage multiplier based on our overall Cooldown Reduction.
Global Stat Priorities
The overall Cooldown Reduction (CDR) you have significantly impacts your overall damage output, especially when In-geom is not active. Therefore, your highest priority is to incorporate CDR on all slots except the Amulet. Attack Speed does not scale our damage output, which is why we reroll it from Tal Rashas Relentless Pursuit with the Mystic. You prefer Critical Hit Chance (CHC) and Critical Hit Damage (CHD) over Area Damage (AD) because Area Damage unfortunately only works on self-cast Explosive Blasts — additional casts from Wand of Woh cannot proc Area Damage.
Crowd Control Reduction (CCR) is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Put together the core items and acquire the full Tal Rasha's Elements set.
- Find an Elite to kill as soon as you enter a Rift.
- Ride on your In-Geom procs letting your Wand of Woh blasts everything.
- Enjoy the soothing sound of never-ending Explosive Blasts casts!
Guide by sVr. Updated by Chewingnom.