The support Demon Hunter (usually called the zDH because they do "zero" damage) is one of the strongest supports in the game since Season 21 and the buff to Odyssey's End. Its 150% additive damage bonus outclasses anything else in the game almost by itself on top of the other massive buffs zDH can bring. Its usually paired with a zBarb that does most of the pulling.
Due to its speed and flexibility, zDH fits into a variety of group setups very easily with just a few changes and can be tweaked to either bring a few more buffs or even some pulling ability with Leonine Bow of Hashir and Bolas. Especially for speedruns, you can massively improve performance by showing good support gameplay, even as a single supporter.
The core setup (see below) is very barebones and allows a lot of room for variations. Typical additions to the build include:
- Unhallowed Essence (2) Bonus allowing faster resource gains.
- Gears of Dreadlands (4) Bonus providing mobility, damage reduction as well as faster application of the Odyssey's End debuff.
- Embodiment of the Marauder (2) Bonus giving you all Companion runes, especially Wolf Companion and Boar Companion (typically left out in push as the Boar Companion tends to mess with Crowd Control Resistance).
- Captain Crimson's Trimmings can help with survival and Cooldown requirements.
- Asheara's Vestments (4) Bonus letting you summon all 3 of your followers, who can buff your damage dealers with Onslaught, Erosion, Piercing Shot and Night's Veil.
Overall zDH is versatile, ranges from laid-back to very demanding to play and is a great boost to the party in almost any scenario. In most cases, you can buff your teammates' damage output by 100-200% while providing them with 33-55% damage reduction and some utility like pulling and spawning Elites from Pylons at the same time. The build is tanky when you want it to be and goes well with almost any DPS build in the game!
Easy to Gear ✔
Fun Playstyle ✔
Extremely Mobile ✔
Incredible Damage Buffs ✔
❌ No Pulling Ability
❌ Weak Defensive Buffs
❌ No Crowd Control Immunity
❌ Detrimental with poor Execution
- Odyssey's End paired with Entangling Shot Chain Gang is the core of your buffs: an impressive 150% additive damage bonus.
- Oculus Ring is a staple in every support build, bringing 85% multiplicative damage bonus (not stackable) if your teammates stands on the area it creates.
- Nemesis Bracers in order to spawn extra Elites from Pylons.
- Strongarm Bracers provides 30% additive damage bonus after hitting an enemy with a knockback (Vault Rattling Roll or Bolas paired with Leonine Bow of Hashir).
- Companion Wolf Companion provides a 15% multiplicative damage bonus.
- Multishot Wind Chill adds 8% Critical Hit Chance (usually around 7-10% DPS) and pairs well with Iceblink (for a total of +18% Critical Hit Chance, the gem doesn't stack).
- Elusive Ring provides a massive 60% damage reduction to yourself.
Season 24 Ethereals
Unfortunately while many other builds are having fun with Ethereals, this build cannot effectively use them. This is a support build which doesn't profit from them at all. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them!
Global Stat Priorities
The build doesn't require much to get started. You have 3 main support stats that you want to focus on: Cooldown Reduction (CDR), Resource Cost Reduction (RCR), and Attack Speed (AS). RCR is always nice to use your Discipline consuming mobility skills but it's never critical. AS helps you do everything faster and for that reason it's your main stat in speed variations; for push variations it's not as important. Finally Cooldown Reduction is the most important stat for the variants that don't use Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, while being completely worthless for those that do.
Everything else can be filled with defensive stats such as All Resistance, Life %, Elite Damage Reduction, Vitality, Armor (roughly in that order of priority). Make sure to remove any source of Area Damage on your gear, as this can produce a lot of lags in some scenarios.
- Stay with (or slightly ahead) of your party, prepare the pulls for them.
- Keep up all buffs and debuffs on all enemies at all times.
- Don't spam knockback skills (Bolas or Vault Rattling Roll) too much.
- The overall damage multiplier to DPS players in your party will be around x2 to x3 depending on their levels of additive damage bonuses (from their gear or other party buffs).
Guide by wudijo with special help from Chewingnom and Northwar. Updated by wudijo. Special thanks to hello_ for the S24 GoD Speeds setup.
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Playing as a support can be extremely fun with this setup, especially in the XP Speedfarming META. The zDH is almost always an excellent addition to any party.