Frenzy is once again an iconic skill known and loved by Diablo II players! This skill is the definition of hack'n'slash in its purest form with its simple straightforward melee swing mechanic enhanced by massive innate Attack Speed bonuses.
In Season 6 with Tough as Nails being buffed, the LoN Frenzy "Thorns" build appeared and made its way into the leaderboards for a few seasons, as the first and only build making a viable and competitive use of Hack.
A few years laters, the Horde of the Ninety Savages (H90) Set was introduced with Season 20 alongside a complete rework and buff of Bastion's Revered, making Frenzy, a long time community favorite skill, great again. During PTR, massive feedback was given by the Barbarian Community for the Horde of the Ninety Savages (2) Bonus to apply to Frozen and Stunned enemies as well!
Overall, the H90 Frenzy Barb is a very enjoyable fast-paced build to play with interesting interactions, mainly the Horde of the Ninety Savages (2) Bonus doubling the effectiveness of your Shouts skills, widely used by the zBarb to further buff the party (see Mechanics). Now let's dive into this guide that will teach you how to slash hordes of monsters with style!
Slash to Win! ✔
Fast Paced Playstyle ✔
High Single Target Damage ✔
Amazing Buffs for Group Play ✔
❌ Lack of AoE Damage
❌ Cooldown Dependency
❌ Crowd Control Dependency
❌ Squishy without Band of Might
- The Horde of the Ninety Savages is where the majority of our damage and toughness comes from.
- Bastion's Revered is the core item of the build as it allows Frenzy to stack up to 10 times, meaning additional damage and damage reduction from the set. Furthermore, this brings some AOE damage to the build by letting Frenzy chain to any enemies within 15 yards.
- Depth Diggers provides us with a 100% separate damage multiplier.
- The Undisputed Champion gives us a crazy damage increase as well as all Frenzy runes (increased Fury generated, 50% Movement Speed, 30% Chance to Stun for your Horde of the Ninety Savages (2) Bonus and a 25% additive damage increase).
- Oathkeeper grants us a 200% separate damage multiplier and a 50% separate Attack Speed multiplier for all Primary Skills!
- Optional jewelry items are Squirt's Necklace, Focus & Restraint or Convention of Elements for multiplicative damage and Band of Might for 80% damage reduction.
Global Stat Priorities
Make sure to optimize your Attack Speed to reach certain Breakpoints. The Frenzy Barbarian is one of the fastest attacking builds in the entire game due to Oathkeeper and Frenzy multiplicative Attack Speed bonuses. For more information on the mechanics involved check out our in-depth post here.
When looking at your Attack Speed values for Breakpoints, always consider the +15% additive Attack Speed from the Dual Wield bonus. Furthermore you can have different Breakpoints with different Weapons as you can see on the table to the right. The goal should be to reach around 9 - 7 frames per attack.
Aim for around 45-50% Cooldown Reduction to ensure permanent Wrath of the Berserker, use Boon of Bul-kathos and complementary CDR items like In-geom.
The main skill element and Elemental Damage bonus from your gear generally does not matter (with a few exceptions as mentioned in the "Variants" below)! Choose the element you have the best gear for (usually decided by the amulet and bracer slots). Make sure to adapt the Frenzy rune accordingly to match your highest element. That means if you have Fire Damage on gear, use Maniac, for Cold use Berserk or Sidearm, for Lightning use Smite and for Physical use Vanguard or the unruned Frenzy.
A common misunderstanding by players is the urge to go for a Physical element due to Battle Rage Bloodshed procs. This is not necessary as Bloodshed does not double dip! That means the elemental damage applies only once on the Frenzy damage instance. The Battle Rage Bloodshed is based on that first damage instance but is not enhanced by Elemental Damage again.
- Lack of AOE damage but high single target potential.
- A very decent Rift Guardian Killer with nice benefits to the entire group.
- One of the fastest Bane of the Stricken stacking builds in the game.
- With Band of Might you can face tank enemies and just hold down Frenzy until they die.
- Shoutouts to Northwar, Chewingnom and wudijo for mechanical testing!
I personally love the Frenzy Barb build as it is a fast and very active playstyle. I hope this build can get some more love in the future, for example by addressing the Bastion's Revered multiple target damage problem or by increasing the builds total damage output by around 25-50%. With such a change it will come closer to match the AoV Heaven's Fury Crusader in terms of kill speed and give more RGK options to the player base. One can always hope for the next patch but meanwhile enjoy blasting, my fellow Barbarians!
Introduction by Chewingnom.
Guide by Rob.