Historically Embodiment of the Marauder playstyle was entirely Sentry-based, dominating the leaderboards during Season 1 thanks to the auto-firing Sentries in combination with the "Slowball" Ball Lightning, before the set got reworked a first time for Season 2 so that Sentries would only shoot when you do.
Over the Seasons, the power creep brought progressively to the (6) Bonus unfortunately tore apart the original Marauder playstyle, to the point Demon Hunters now deal 98% of the damage themselves and Sentries just produce visual effects.
However, there is a workaround! N6M4 is a hybrid build that uses two sets at once, Natalya's Vengeance and Embodiment of the Marauder. It succeeds where the latter fails, that is to say giving us a Demon Hunter build where the entire playstyle revolves around Sentry. Now your Sentries are doing all the damage, your job is to place them strategically and signal them to attack.
This build is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Sentries, and most importantly Cluster Arrows they shot, can proc it. This build develops a completely unique playstyle with intriguing interactions (see Mechanics), where you become a tactician, deploying Sentries in strategic spots and letting them wreak havoc on the battlefield at your signal. The build, however, is slow-paced for Nephalem Rifts, Bounties or Solo Greater Rift Speeds where the GoD DH build wins by a large margin. Hence it is mainly teched out as a "pushing the leaderboards" build.
Cool Visuals ✔
No Cooldown Dependency ✔
Unique Sentry-Based Playstyle ✔
Includes a Personal Petting Zoo ✔
❌ Slow and Clunky
❌ Limited Item Choices
❌ Low Single Target Damage
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
- Natalya's Vengeance set provides 60% damage reduction and 14000% increased damage to all skills and attacks.
- Embodiment of the Marauder set lets Sentry fire Cluster Arrows together with you at 400% increased damage. That times 5 Sentries amounts to x25 damage multiplier. Also we get access to all Companions, thanks to the (2) Bonus.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur is necessary to get bonuses from both sets. You need to get 3 Marauder pieces and 5 Natalya pieces. That means you always have Marauder's Spines, Natalya's Slayer and Natalya's Reflection. The Chest should be Natalya's Embrace, because it can roll Hatred Regen. The other 4 items—Boots, Pants, Helmet and Gloves—can be any combination of 2 Marauder and 2 Natalya pieces.
- Manticore increases the damage of Cluster Arrow by 300% and reduces its Hatred cost by 50%.
- Bombardier's Rucksack lets us summon two extra Sentries and also gives +100% Sentry Damage, which applies to Cluster Arrows fired by Sentries.
- Zoey's Secret, a complementary item to Embodiment of the Marauder set, provides 63% damage reduction.
- Wraps of Clarity give another 50% damage reduction, a natural choice in a build that uses Generators.
Global Stat Priorities
N6M4 completely ignores Cooldown Reduction and Attack Speed. There aren't any important heavy cooldown skills in the build, and your damage output is limited by amount of Hatred you can generate. For that reason we invest quite heavily into Resource Cost Reduction and Hatred Regeneration. Overall, your priority for offensive stats looks like this: Fire Damage > Sentry Damage > Cluster Arrow Damage > Critical Hit Chance & Damage > Hatred Regeneration > Resource Cost Reduction > Area Damage.
For toughness, it is business as usual: you get Vitality, All Resistance and if possible Life % on your Boots, Pants, and Belt. N6M4 usually doesn't get a lot of Vitality from items, because its normal spots are occupied by stuff like Resource Cost Reduction, Hatred Regeneration and Skill Damage. For that reason you will need to invest quite a few Paragon points into Vitality.
Since there is no Vengeance in N6M4, Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Ignore Cooldown Reduction and Attack Speed, stack Resource Cost Reduction and Hatred Regeneration.
- Place Sentries in strategic spots.
- Make sure you have Hatred for your Fire Convention of Elements cycle.
- Be careful on Elites with CC Affixes or Waller, don't neglect Crowd Control Reduction on gear.
Introduction by Chewingnom.
Guide by Northwar. Updated by wudijo.
N6M4 lets you play tower defense in Diablo III, how cool is that?