The Gears of Dreadlands Hungering Arrow GoD Demon Hunter made its entry during Season 21 and immediately surged to the top of all builds in the game, especially in solo pushing. This has been adjusted in Season 23 with a cap (max. 4) to the amount of pierces the arrow is allowed to do, but it remains an absolute powerhouse for farming.
Although using the dedicated main set for the Hungering Arrow build is more effective, it is possible to combine its (4) Bonus with the Natalya's Vengeance (6) Bonus that has a similar damage multiplier. This way you can achieve the same excellent mobility with slightly less damage and create an all-around setup for T16 farming and one of the best builds to push the Natalya's Vengeance leaderboard.
The build focuses on Strafe and Hungering Arrow to deal damage, which is done semi-automatically by hitting targets around you. The core of the build is the Gears of Dreadlands (4) Bonus that will automatically fire your last used Primary whenever you hit an enemy with Strafe. This allows you to deal damage while moving. The (2) Bonus gives you Momentum, a stacking Movement Speed and Damage buff. This bonus stacks up to a total of 160% Movement Speed letting you literally fly through the rifts while destroying everything in your path. Rain of Vengeance will be needed to activate the Natalya's Vengeance damage buff.
The build and gameplay itself are easy to learn. However, when it comes to optimizing the setup (especially in solo pushing), there are a lot of details and intricate mechanics to consider. Make sure to check out the Mechanics section below to catch all the important informations.
Combines two sets ✔
Strong season starter ✔
Great solo farming build ✔
Fast and smooth gameplay ✔
❌ Complicated mechanics
❌ Hits a brick wall in pushing
❌ No direct targeting possible
❌ Lacks massive AoE potential
- 5 pieces of the Natalya's Vengeance set including Ring and Weapon are required. The (6) Bonus gives us 60% damage reduction and a 14,000% damage bonus after using Rain of Vengeance.
- 3 pieces of the Gears of Dreadlands set including Shoulders are required to automate Hungering Arrow casts while providing great bonuses: x3 damage through the (2) Bonus and the (4) Bonus that can be roughly counted as a x2-2.5 multiplier due to effectively providing hidden extra Attack Speed. Finally, the set gives you 60% damage reduction and up to 160% Movement Speed while using Strafe.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur is needed to combine both sets.
- The Ninth Cirri Satchel is the core legendary item of the build, adding 100% pierce chance to Hungering Arrow (up to 4 times) as well as an up to 600% multiplicative damage increase.
- Hunter's Wrath is another high-value DPS item, providing a 30% Attack Speed bonus to your Primaries (which makes keeping up Momentum stacks easier) as well as another 200% multiplicative damage bonus.
- Dawn can be either worn or cubed, depending on how well your quiver rolled. It will help you to reach permanent Vengeance uptime.
- Depth Diggers provide another 100% multiplicative damage increase to Hungering Arrow.
- Squirt's Necklace is a powerful amulet giving up to 100% extra damage if you avoid being hit or have a Shield Pylon.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Natalya's Slayer to be equipped and either Dawn or The Ninth Cirri Satchel in the Off-Hand to be functional. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury power, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- Doomslinger - This is the Ethereal of choice here and the only way to include an Ethereal into the setup. It has amazing stats and a great Movement Speed bonus at least!
- Buriza-Do Kyanon and Windforce - These cannot be used because Natalya's Slayer needs to be equipped.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
The most important for almost any DH build is reaching permanent Vengeance uptime. This is achievable through the 65% Cooldown Reduction effect provided by Dawn and having 37% Cooldown Reduction on your character. You will always use Flawless Royal Diamond in your helmet slot, 10% from Paragon Points and 8% on your Shoulders. The rest will typically be rolled on your Weapons (especially if dual wielding), or your Gloves + Quiver (if using one Weapon). If you are wearing a Dawn and it has less than 64-63% on the legendary affix, you should consider adding a 4th Cooldown item to make up for it, as any lower will leave you with a significant gap in your Vengeance uptime.
This build uses specific Attack Speed Breakpoints for optimal damage output depending on your Weapon, due to the Gears of Dreadlands (4) Bonus (see Mechanics).
Aside from that, stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Crit stats, Cold Damage, Hungering Arrow Damage, and lastly Area Damage in this order of priority. For your defensive stats you need to focus on increasing the your raw toughness value. Since almost all of your recovery is based on percentage-based healing from Simplicity's Strength there's no reason to prioritize mitigation over health pool. Physical Resistance is also extremely useful, as you will generally move very close to your enemies and most of the incoming damage is of that type. Because of that, you should always use Flawless Royal Diamond in your Chest and Pants sockets.
- Reach the necessary Cooldown Reduction for permanent Vengeance (37% with a perfect Dawn).
- Always cast Rain of Vengeance at least once every 10 seconds to gain your set bonus.
- Get the Momentum buff to 20 and keep it above 17 at all times by using your Hungering Arrow.
- Use Strafe the rest of the time to move and DPS.
- Activate your defensive skills where necessary.
Guide by wudijo with help from Northwar.
We hope you enjoyed this guide! This build can be a great season starter and helpful for the extra keys in T16 and strong for placing on the Natalya's Vengeance leaderboard. If you're looking for a stronger endgame version of this setup, take a look at the GoD DH guide!