The Masquerade of the Burning Carnival was first introduced in Season 21. Despite having an outrageous 70,000% damage buff, it didn't see a lot of play back then due to being overshadowed by other Necromancer builds. The Season 22 Patch 2.6.10 buffed the build by adding Gelmindor's Marrow Guards. This was enough to make it the strongest Necromancer build and one of the best group trash killers in the game. It's able to clear all the way up to GR150 solo and perform well as a Trash Killer and DPS in 4man Greater Rift Speedruns.
Unlike many other Necromancer builds, Bone Spear doesn't hide any nasty surprises like having to wait a minute for a crucial cooldown, or fighting the Rift Guardian for 8 minutes straight. It is a fairly simple but fun and powerful build with a very active, fast-paced playstyle.
For solo pushing Greater Rifts specifically, there are a total of three viable variations each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Most high-end clears are completed using the Aughild's Authority set which is also the one described in the main sections of the guide. This is especially recommended after Paragon 2500 to push beyond GR140 as elites and Rift Guardians die much more easily with it but it's less mobile and more squishy than a similar version using Captain Crimson's Trimmings, which has better overall performance when pushing on lower tiers and paragons. Lastly, there is a third version revolving around Briggs' Wrath using the item's special ability to pixelpull enemies, which has a totally unique feel and playstyle that is more challenging and performs close to the same when properly executed. All three of them are also highlighted in the solo pushing variants below.
Easy to Gear ✔
Active Playstyle ✔
Great AOE Damage ✔
No Long Cooldowns ✔
❌ Relies on Pets
❌ Positioning is Critical
❌ Takes Practice to Master
❌ Low Single Target Damage
- Masquerade of the Burning Carnival is the centerpiece of this build. It effectively provides 83% damage reduction and 70,000% increased Bone Spear damage while your Simulacrum is active.
- Haunted Visions makes Simulacrum last forever.
- Maltorius' Petrified Spike doubles Bone Spear cost to give it 700% increased damage.
- Scythe of the Cycle for 400% increased damage to Bone Spear.
- Krysbin's Sentence gives 300% damage to enemies affected by hard Crowd Control (e.g. stun from Bone Armor Dislocation) and 100% bonus against slowed enemies.
- Gelmindor's Marrow Guards gives 400% increased damage to Bone Spears fired by your Simulacrums.
Global Stat Priorities
Our offensive priorities are: Poison Damage > Critical Hit Chance/Critical Hit Damage > Area Damage > Attack Speed, along with as much Bone Spear damage as possible (on Boots, Helm and Off-Hand). Generally, no Cooldown Reduction is needed for this build as you will only cast Simulacrum at the beginning of a rift, but especially in Nephalem Rifts or for the Captain Crimson's Trimmings variation that stat become more valuable to spam Blood Rush and Bone Armor and gain extra damage. As an RGK you'll want to prioritize Attack Speed over Area Damage to stack Bane of the Stricken as fast as possible and deal most single target damage.
- Obtain the Masquerade of the Burning Carnival set with the core items shown in the beginning.
- Position your Simulacrum and control where they are to maximize your damage.
- Stun monsters with Bone Armor Dislocation on your Poison Convention of Elements cycle to activate Krysbin's Sentence.
- Stay mobile, survive, and burn down large packs of enemies with Area Damage.
Guide by Northwar & wudijo with contributions from Raxxanterax, Rob & sVr. Updated by wudijo.