The Meteor Wizard has been dictating the META for a long time in the past, especially using the Star Pact along with many stacking damage multipliers for moments of gigantic burst damage. Some of the interactions have been nerfed to bring down that setup, however the overall build still remains intact, although in a much weakened state.
Especially for Nephalem Rifts using Meteor Shower can be a fun and decent alternative to other builds that looks and feels amazing. If you are after a strong Greater Rift build, you should consider checking out our Hydra, Twister or Frozen Orb guides!
Even though the Meteor Wizard is not exactly a top build for anything anymore, it remains capable of decent performance for farming Greater Rift keystone or to just play something different in Greater Rifts for a change. It also offers an interesting Reverse Archon playstyle around Star Pact that is something truly unique in the game and produces amazingly impactful explosions when you pull it off correctly.
It's also possible to play different versions using the Tal Rasha's Elements or Firebird's Finery sets. However, since there is no set directly buffing this skill with a large enough number, the best possible setups revolve around using the Legacy of Dreams Legendary Gem and stacking up a lot of other small but useful effects from different items.
Great visual Effects ✔
Useful in Nephalem Rifts ✔
Feels like an actual Wizard ✔
Fun and satisfying Impacts ✔
❌ Heavily nerfed in the Past
❌ Struggles on Single Target
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
❌ Shields can't be tracked in UI
- Legacy of Dreams provides a 9750% damage increase and 52% damage reduction with full ancient items. This gem effectively replaces a regular 6-piece set and allows you to stack many legendary item effects instead.
- The Grand Vizier is one of the core damage increasing items, providing a 400% damage increase while cutting the cost of Meteor in half.
- Nilfur’s Boast gives another huge 600% damage increase and even up to 900% when you hit only 3 targets or less.
- Squirt’s Necklace is an almost indispensable item for every Wizard build due to the extraordinary shielding available to the class, effectively doubling your damage as long as you don’t take damage. This will generally be combined with Ashnagarr’s Blood Bracer, the Galvanizing Ward and Magic Weapon Deflection to make sure that even during damage spikes you remain shielded.
- Halo of Karini is the core Wizard defensive item and combined with Storm Armor to trigger the effect gives you a x5 toughness boost.
- Cindercoat is a great addition to any Fire-based build and can be paired with other such items like Magefist and Swamp Land Waders (which rolls Fire damage) for some small extra benefits.
- Aether Walker gives us great mobility by letting us spam Teleport almost as much as we want.
- Orb of Infinite Depth adds another massive 80% damage reduction and 40% damage increase when Explosive Blast Chain Reaction is cast.
During Season 22, you will be able to use one additional Kanai's Cube power of your choosing. This can be any one item in the Weapon, Armor or Jewelry slot. As with any Wizard build, by far the best option here is Deathwish, which can be used with a stutter-stepping playstyle where you tap a channeling skill (Arcane Torrent) for the shortest possible time, cast another spell quickly (Meteor Shower) right after and repeat. You will gain the damage buff for a short moment during the impacts. If you do not enjoy that playstyle very much, the next best options are The Furnace or Echoing Fury.
The overall buff to the build from the season theme is around 5-7 Greater Rift Tiers using Deathwish. With any of the other options, it will be between 1-3 Tiers.
Global Stat Priorities
Stack the typical damage stats such as Critical Hit Chance, Critical Hit Damage and Fire Damage on every piece possible. Next you want to add Meteor damage rolls to your Helm, Boots and Offhand slots. Other item rolls can go to Area Damage (for Greater Rifts) or extra Resource Cost Reduction (especially in Nephalem Rifts), Attack Speed, Damage Range (Rings) and Defense whenever you can fit it in. One roll with Arcane Power on Crit on Offhand can be useful especially for farming but is not required.
You won’t need any recovery stats such as Life Regeneration or Life per Hit, as you strive to be permanently at full HP by being protected behind your shields. Instead, you can stack Vitality as much as you feel is necessary to ensure consistent survival and Squirt’s Necklace uptime. Your toughness (and “recovery” through shields) scales linearly with your Vitality, so compared to most other classes it’s very effective to build a large life pool on a Wizard.
Updated Video Guide for Season 22 coming soon!
- Keep up your Storm Armor and Halo of Karini buffs at all times. The same goes for Magic Weapon if you use it.
- Zip around the battlefield by using Teleport.
- Throw Meteor Meteor Shower everywhere to wreak havoc.
- In Greater Rifts, use Black Hole to group up enemies for Area Damage.
- Play around the Convention of Elements cycle to maximize your DPS.
- Avoid ever losing any HP to keep up your Squirt’s Necklace at all times. Try to learn to feel the incoming damage as there is no UI indicator of how much shield you have.
Guide by wudijo with special help from Chewingnom and Northwar.
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Meteor Shower is one of the coolest and visually appealing skills in the Wizard's arsenal and even after severe nerfs still useful for farming at least in Nephalem Rifts. The Star Pact version offers a challenge for those interested and allows you to push into the higher Greater Rift tiers.