LoD Hydra is one of the most recent additions to the wizard repertoire; its items were originally designed for the The Typhon's Veil set, which unfortunately is very cumbersome to play especially due to its (4) Bonus. Hence, Legacy of Dreams became the Hydra build with the newly introduced items Serpents Sparker and The Magistrate.
As of the current Patch 2.6.10 this build constitutes one of the strongest Wizard builds, and is definitely the most comfortable one for pushing Solo Greater Rifts. The build, or any variation of it, is not viable for Nephalem Rifts, Bounties nor Solo Greater Rift Speeds; it is purely teched out as a "pushing the leaderboards" build. If you are looking for a generic allrounder to get multiple objectives done with, then I'd recommend the Vyr-Chantodo Archon WoD Wizard Guide.
The build at hand is an Area Damage (AD) build, since self-casted Hydra can and will proc it. In its most recent update Fragment of Destiny was updated to incorporate a separate multiplier for Hydras; therefore Spectral Blade is incorporated, which greatly speeds up the Rift Guardian kill time for the build at hand due to faster Bane of the Stricken stack application.
Easy to Execute ✔
Beginner Friendly ✔
Crowd Control Immune ✔
Straight Forward Mechanics ✔
Most Tanky Wizard Build Ever ✔
Good Rift Guardian Matchups ✔
❌ Bad Season Starter
❌ Only usable for Pushing
❌ Rarely gets an Oculus Proc
❌ ResidentSleeper Gameplay
❌ Hydra Attack Direction RNG
❌ Very Fishing-Sensitive in GRs
Here is a quick overview of the items selected for this build. Explicit Global Stat Priorities as well as Item Stat Priorities can be found below.
- Fragment of Destiny grants us an amazing speed-coefficient for Spectral Blade, which greatly increases our Bane of the Stricken stack application rate. Additionally, we receive separate 4.0 multiplier for our Hydra.
- Deathwish is a global and separate multipliers granting us an 4.25 damage increase when channeling Arcane Torrent.
- The Magistrate and Serpents Sparker are both separate multipliers for Hydra providing an overall 15.0 damage multiplier. For the Kanai's Cube Weapon Slot either weapon can be cubed.
- Tasker and Theo grant your Hydra a separate speed-coefficient for their attack speed. Depending on the Variant you are playing you must either have a minimum value of 48% or 41% on the legendary affix to hit the 30 FPA Breakpoint on your Hydras.
- Stone Gauntlets provide an outrageous amount of mitigation and their negative effect can be fully negated by Ice Climbers.
- Swamp Land Waders are Witch Doctor specific pants meaning you can only loot them on that specific class. They are the only pants in the game granting Arcane / Cold / Fire / Lightning / Holy / Physical / Poison increases, which is why we incorporate them.
- Unity grants us 50% damage reduction, if and only if we have a Follower that has a Unity equipped as well as an immunity token such as Enchanting Favor. Depending on the Variant you are playing you will either hire the Enchantress or the Templar.
- Convention of Elements buffs our Hydra Mammoth Hydra by a beefy 3.0 multiplier in its Fire cycle.
- Squirts Necklace gives us a separate and global 2.0 damage multiplier while also increasing our damage taken by 50% as a trade-off. For that reasoning we are utilizing shielding mechanics via Magic Weapon Deflection and Galvanizing Ward to protect our hit points.
- Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer doubles our aforementioned shield buffs to ensure that our Squirts Necklace does not drop.
- Aquila Cuirass grants us 50% damage reduction, while we have at least 90% of our maximum Arcane Power. Since we rarely spend any Arcane Power, we will have perma uptime on its buff.
- Ice Climbers negate the negative effect of Stone Gauntlets meaning you'll only receive the armor bonus from them.
- The Shame of Delsere grants us an amazing speed-coefficient for Spectral Blade, which greatly increases our Bane of the Stricken stack application rate. A different choice can be The Witching Hour instead, which, due to the additional Attack Speed roll, allows you to play a non-trifecta rolled Main-Hand.
- Mantle of Channeling grants a separate and global damage multiplier of 1.25 if and only if we channel Arcane Torrent. Additionally our damage taken is reduced by 25%.
Global Stat Priorities
You must reach the 30 FPA Breakpoint on your Hydra, which is a 20% damage increase over the previous 36 FPA Breakpoint. There are two different recommended setups, with which you can reach said Breakpoint:
- 10% IAS from Paragon Points
- minimum 48% Tasker and Theo
- 7% IAS from any Item
- 3% IAS Attack Speed from Focused Mind
This setup requires you to hire the Enchantress.
- 10% IAS from Paragon Points
- minimum 41% Tasker and Theo
- 7% IAS from the Main-Hand
- 7% IAS from the Gloves
This setup allows you to hire any Follower.
I'd recommend going for the right hand side setup, which allows you to hire the Templar. He is much easier to utilize and place both within the Rift as well as on the Rift Guardian.
The three presented solo variants play the exact same skills and passives and only differ in the belt slot with Hergbrashs Binding and The Shame of Delsere. In all three setups the main requirement is to hit the 30 FPA Breakpoint on Hydra; these variants only differ in how they achieve to hit said Breakpoint.
Solo 0 ApoC + Enchantress
This variant requires you to hire the Enchantress for her attack speed buff Focused Mind, which saves an primary affix roll on your gear. Additionally you must either have a quadfecta rolled Tasker and Theo with minimum legendary affix of 48% or a quadfecta rolled weapon with Attack Speed.
Solo 4 ApoC + Enchantress
This variant incorporates The Shame of Delsere, which allows for significantly faster stacking of Bane of the Stricken. However, as a trade-off for dropping Hergbrashs Binding legendaries affix, you must include one primary affix of 4 Arcane Power on Critical Hit on either your The Magistrate or Winter Flurry. You still must hire the Enchantress for her attack speed buff Focused Mind to hit aforementioned 30 FPA Breakpoint.
Solo 4 ApoC + Templar
This variant is getting rid of the requirement to hire with the Enchantress since a lot of players prefer Templar for his superior capability of being positioned, however, you must have a quadfecta rolled weapon with IAS in that case. The minimum legendary affix requirement for Tasker and Theo is lowered to 41%, but it's still required to be a quadfecta roll. Additionally, as a trade-off for dropping Hergbrashs Binding legendaries affix, you must include one primary affix of 4 Arcane Power on Critical Hit on either your The Magistrate or Winter Flurry.
In both Group Variants Pain Enhancer (PE) is being used to reach low FPA Breakpoints on Hydra. In group play the supporting classes, usually a zBarb and a zMonk, will both apply a bleed (for PE) as well as create pixelpulls for us to damage. We play the same exact rotation as in any Solo Variant with the exception that we now utilize Black Hole Spellsteal for additional additive damage.
This Variant is a reversed Archon iteration, where all your damage is done outside of Archon; we simply abuse Fazulas Improbable Chain to gain 50 Archon stacks and utilize these via The Swami. You are clicking Archon every 48 seconds at the beginning of your Arcane cycle of Convention of Elements. Pain Enhancer (PE) helps to reset the significant cooldown of Archon via Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac while additionally allowing you to reach low FPA Breakpoints on Hydra. When in Archon there is nothing for you to do but wait, meaning it's a good moment for the group to move to a new position.
Due to the excessive amount of Shielding the Wizard class receives from various sources and the incredible amount of tankiness each Legacy of Dreams variant comes with, you'll see a few players on the very high-end of the Leaderboards play a variant incorporating Shi Mizus Haori instead of Aquila Cuirass. This specific variant is under no circumstances recommended for the average player due to its inherent cut-throat and high risk playstyle. You can try this variant by making the mentioned trade and afterwards rolling all Critical Hit Chance (CHC) rolls into other accommodating primary affixes (Area Damage, Resource Cost Reduction, Elite Damage, Physical Damage Range, etc.).
- LoD Hydra is a tanky boy.
- One of the few builds that can actually pull off to play Shi Mizus Haori.
- Try not to cry, but cry a lot because you never see Oculus Ring rings :-/